The sale of mystery/gift coins

jAY miLLS

Geo_Leprechaun Posted Today, 07:19 PM

I would like everyone to know. I have 150 coins that I am going to start dropping in caches. They are different than last years coins but just as beautiful. I hope to make a few extra trips across the pond so be watching over there as well. The first few coins should be out in the next week or so with more to fallow late this month.

Hmm... How about a trip from the Emerald Isle to Florida's Emerald Coast? :D

Or better yet . . . The Evergreen state :):D

I would like everyone to know. I have 150 coins that I am going to start dropping in caches. They are different than last years coins but just as beautiful. I hope to make a few extra trips across the pond so be watching over there as well. The first few coins should be out in the next week or so with more to fallow late this month.

First Finder, please start a new thread for this years coin. TPTB said it was Ok to start a new thread.

:D

WWWWhhhhhooooooottttttt, i hope you like to cache in the Netherlands wwwwwwhhhhhhoooootttt

First Finder, please start a new thread for this years coin. TPTB said it was Ok to start a new thread.

:)

I sure hope to find one of your coins so that I can keep it along with my other 3 mystery coins that I share with others at local events. :D

Just got up, am staring bleary eyed at the computer. Had to read this twice for it to sink in....WOW!! We'll be watching our part of the world!

Thank you Geo_Leprechaun for your continued generosity!! :D:)

Geo_Leprechaun Posted Today, 07:19 PM

Hmm... How about a trip from the Emerald Isle to Florida's Emerald Coast? :)

...along with a stop in Jacksonville, Florida on your way :D

So when did this stop being a discussion about mystery coins and start being a begging thread about Geo_Leprechaun coin? One shameless plug and the whole thread do haywire! :blink:

Back on topic... Despite the trust that is lost when a person starts selling mystery coins, it also opens eyes to how much profit can be made from them. What's next? An ebay only mystery coin. :(

Edit for spelling.

Edited by avroair

it's just a coin.

Not to many, it isn't ~ it's a hobby, something we spend a lot of time and energy doing, and therefore plays a large role in our lives. People can look down upon it as silly, but we all have hobbies that others deem pointless or silly. A coin can also be considered a token of friendship, some people don't have any friends and don't like making new ones.

Good points. I used a correlation to a wedding ring in another thread when somebody mentioned that a coin was simply a "hunk of metal". A wedding ring is also a "hunk of metal" is it not? You'd never sell that because of the sentimental value, right? Those that are passionate about coins also attach sentimental value to these types of coins.

THANKS Kealia, well said! For me, a gifted coin is a piece of friendship. A token of how one feels toward another. While, if a TRUE emergency pops up unexpectedly and hurriedly, I could understand the sales (sometimes), I too could think of MANY other things which would bring a quick buck.

I'll not judge anyone, and I don't need anyone telling me their life story...but it would be nice to know that the person selling the coin at least asked the giftor first...that's common courtesy. Just like I'd rather tell you I'm returning your Christmas gift for something else, I'd rather tell you my intent and work out any problems right off the bat...

Mystery coin projects are expensive to produce, but reading the great logs is well worth the time, money and effort spent to make and distribute the coin. It's a shame when people become greedy, either by grabbing more than their share of a mystery coin or by selling it for profit. It's just as easy to trade the coin for coins that will sell well on a site such as ebay. But time and time again individuals just throw them up for quick profit. I knew going into a mystery coin project that a couple of bad apples would distract from the real purpose of sharing, but the general attitudes towards the mystery coins has been great. Thanks for the fun!

Mystery coin projects are expensive to produce, but reading the great logs is well worth the time, money and effort spent to make and distribute the coin. It's a shame when people become greedy, either by grabbing more than their share of a mystery coin or by selling it for profit. It's just as easy to trade the coin for coins that will sell well on a site such as ebay. But time and time again individuals just throw them up for quick profit. I knew going into a mystery coin project that a couple of bad apples would distract from the real purpose of sharing, but the general attitudes towards the mystery coins has been great. Thanks for the fun!

It is we that should be thanking you!! Great job, well done! I truly enjoy reading the wonderful stories written about these gifts, it's heart-warming! I can do thiss for free, it COSTS you and the other MCs, for this I very much appreciate you and ALL mystery coiners...THANK-YOU!!

I have been blessed with a few of the mystery coins (more than my fair share to be sure), these coins have brought a lesson with their joy...the lesson of sharing! Or is it the lesson of caring and kind words? Or the lesson of.... :blink:

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier, since we are talking about the consequences of selling these coins.

I remember that the Geocoin Fairy had planned on minting a third version of her coin in copper, but decided to end her project early because of all the ebay sales of her coins.

So those who don't see how these sales hurt the community, there is a prime example of a coin we won't have because of ebay sales of these gifts.

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier, since we are talking about the consequences of selling these coins.

I remember that the Geocoin Fairy had planned on minting a third version of her coin in copper, but decided to end her project early because of all the ebay sales of her coins.

So those who don't see how these sales hurt the community, there is a prime example of a coin we won't have because of ebay sales of these gifts.

EXACTLY, I recall that as well. That is the chilling effect that I mentioned in a prior post that "can" result from Ebay sales of Mystery Coins. I really hate to repeat myself but I will if thats what it takes to get my message heard - I feel very strongly that Mystery Coins are undeniably in a special category of gifted coins made and distributed purely in the "spirit" of giving. I have the utmost respect for those Mystery folks who give back to the community with such a bold gesture. When mystery coins show up on Ebay the "spirit" in which it was given is compromised and the community is potentially hurt as a result. If you (not any particular person) decide you don't want your mystery coin any longer, be a mystery coin giver yourself and pass it along anonymously to someone who will accept it and cherish it with the spirit in which it is intended.

Well said jAY miLLS, too bad that the Geo Fairy never came out with the 3rd edition of there geocoin. I was lucky enough to find the first edition in a cache. I was overwelmed wih joy when I seen that it was still in the cache when I got there. mystery coiners rock. :blink:

edit for my poor spelling.

Edited by joranda

Well said Bunny!! We added the bold part because that is the part that sticks in our craw.

Circumstances change, winds blow a different direction, you just never know. So we plan on taking a breath when someone sells our coin. That just ain't the first thing that occurs to us cowboy types.

Thanks for the fun!

Does anyone know what mystery coin/coins never made it to Ebay?

Mine...and they never will!! :blink:

Sorry...

I don't buy much on ebay, so unless it's a special cause auction, I probably didn't know about it (much like the case here, no idea who or what coin(s) we're all talking about).

Does anyone know what mystery coin/coins never made it to Ebay?

Nope, I believe they all could have, not sure on that though. I know some of the ones that have though.

I just know there are 6 Mystery coins up for sale by an Ebayer right now which are mentioned in a prior post.

It seems very odd to me that the moderators have edited out all mentions of an ebay seller who may or may not be a member of Groundspeak. Very odd. :(

Might as well lock this thread down since it has lost its purpose.

It was locked at first but after sleeping on it he deleted all trails to the person and ebay so that it could be re opened. That was so nice of him so that it could stay on topic. :blink:

I'm curious to know if you all think there should be some distinction made in this discussion between coins that were directly gifted to an individual and those that were left in a cache for whoever might find them. It seems to me, a coin left in a cache is swag to trade even or up for, and unless it has explicit written instructions to the contrary, should be the finder's to do with as they please.

Having said that, I will say that I have been fortunate enough to acquire a pair of coins, that, while not true mystery coins, were probably 90% distributed by placement in caches. They included with them the statement "Keep the coin or trade it, it's up to you!" Personally, I can't even imagine putting one of them on Ebay.

P.S. Jake, if you're reading this it might behoove you to attend one of the events next Saturday. :blink:

Another good question to this would be. If you bought the mystery coin on ebay or any other place, so it wasn't gifted to you, are you free to do what ever it is you want to with it? You did pay for it after all. :blink:

That's just plain weird.

The only reason I can think of myself doing that would be to re-gift it back to either the owner or someone who missed out... so the coin would still be a gift to holder.

I'm curious to know if you all think there should be some distinction made in this discussion between coins that were directly gifted to an individual and those that were left in a cache for whoever might find them. It seems to me, a coin left in a cache is swag to trade even or up for, and unless it has explicit written instructions to the contrary, should be the finder's to do with as they please.

Having said that, I will say that I have been fortunate enough to acquire a pair of coins, that, while not true mystery coins, were probably 90% distributed by placement in caches. They included with them the statement "Keep the coin or trade it, it's up to you!" Personally, I can't even imagine putting one of them on Ebay.

I think the distinction was made from the start. When I started this thread the Ebayer in question had 24 non-trackable coins up for sale. I only addressed the 6 mystery coins they listed. My view on mystery coins is by now well documented in this thread.

As for the other 18 coins listed, some or maybe all of which were trade only coins that were never available for sale is another discussion entirely as far as I am concerned.

I have dropped unactivated coins in caches myself as you described, and yes they are intended as trade even or trade up items just to add a bit of excitement to the hunt.

I got some Friend Only Coins and Mystery Coins. I NEVER would sell one of this. This is very stupid! There are so much Idiots outside....

O.K., in course that the Coin is for a Charity, it will be O.K.

But to make money, that´s the wrong way!

Jm2C