The sale of mystery/gift coins

jAY miLLS

Who is it ?

<added by moderator>

Questions like this are inappropriate for this forum. I'll refer to this section of the Forum Guidelines:

Examples of posts that may be edited or deleted include posts containing profanity, chain letter and other spam postings, posts that disclose the tracking number codes for Groundspeak travel bugs or posts that reveal private information about another community member.

</added by moderator>

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Again:

Examples of posts that may be edited or deleted include posts containing profanity, chain letter and other spam postings, posts that disclose the tracking number codes for Groundspeak travel bugs or posts that reveal private information about another community member.

OMG!!!! what some people wont do for a buck...Tisk Tisk and for shame....

No matter how bad I would want this geocoins knowing the terms behind them I would not give them the time of day or my money...

Selling something as special as those I just can't believe it!!!

And what fun would a mystery geocoin be if you knew where is was coming from?

Two thumbs down for Mr bad Ebay seller.....

<removed by moderator>

This post was fine until the personal details were mentioned.

TO: GeoPumpkin - Geocoin Bug - Binary Banned from Forum - GeoLeprechaun - GSA - GCF - or anyone considering making a mystery coin ~

Please don't allow these actions to make you feel unappreciated. You are appreciated more then you will ever know by 99% of the Geo Coin Community.

As counterintuitive as it seems, there are really only 2 things we can do to express displeasure over these sales.

1. (As Cav Scout suggested) ignore/not bid on the sales.

2. Quit posting here and giving attention/publicity to things better left ignored. *

jrr

* I tried to convey this info telepathically so as not to violate #2, but it didn't work. :)

i am thinking this, one bid for each coin - 99 cents - no bidding up, nothing. that way he loses the coin and makes very little.

kinda like leaving a tiny bit of a tip for bad waiter service - sends a message more than leaving nothing.

rsg

That's the perfect plan, if you could get people to agree with it. Unfortunately, not everyone reads the forums.

TO: GeoPumpkin - Geocoin Bug - Binary Banned from Forum - GeoLeprechaun - GSA - GCF - or anyone considering making a mystery coin ~

Please don't allow these actions to make you feel unappreciated. You are appreciated more then you will ever know by 99% of the Geo Coin Community.

Very well said ! ! It is so sad to see the mystery coins on ebay :) .And a few personal coins that were not to be sold on there as well :)

Very well said ! ! It is so sad to see the mystery coins on ebay :) .And a few personal coins that were not to be sold on there as well :)

We agree as well! So sorry to see this happen.

As a new coin collector I find these auctions despicable! I have been given two coins by Moose Mob (for my kids) and we will keep them forever. These are my children’s first and only coins and I cherish the memory of their excitement when they opened the gifts.

I don’t understand how the almighty dollar can justify these sales. I’m sorry this is happening.

Greg

I hope the powers that be close this thread. It was just opened to bash someone. I am not trying to defend that person, I just don't this forum should be used for such a thing.

I disagree about opening the thread to bash someone and to suggest otherwise is presumptuous. I would have opened this topic regardless of who the seller was. I feel it is disrespectful and a slap in the face to the mystery coin givers who put out hundreds,maybe a thousand dollars to make these coins then spend how much money on mailers and postage to distribute those coins all out of the kindness of their heart. Had it been personal I would have expanded my comments beyond the scope of mystery coins that are currently listed. Peace

I don't know the reasons at to why these coins are being sold, but since mine is in there I will be contacting the seller to try and get it back. One thing to note, to anyone who was looking to buy it, Our coins have ONLY ever been sold for the March of Dimes, and to date only 2 maybe 3 have fallen into that category. As for never to be made again, I've never said that wasn't a possibility. If you've been after one of our signature coins, please do contact me.

EDIT: I spoke with the seller and mentioned changes needing to be made. I also now condone the sale of this coin and hope that it helps in this particular case.

Edited by UOTrackers

I don't know the reasons at to why these coins are being sold, but since mine is in there I will be contacting the seller to try and get it back. One thing to note, to anyone who was looking to buy it, Our coins have ONLY ever been sold for the March of Dimes, and to date only 2 maybe 3 have fallen into that category. As for never to be made again, I've never said that wasn't a possibility. If you've been after one of our signature coins, please do contact me.

I just looked at your coin and it is a nice one. The thing I found funny is that there is a Whiskey Road near my place to. I always thought they called it that because they used to run whiskey on it. Who knows. Cool coin. I won't be bidding on it but..... very cool coin!! :)

Hmmm... one of my XLEs is in the auction list. I traded it for a personal coin. The auction is incorrect, though. It says "sold out" which is false. I never sold them, and I still have some. Oh well, what ever.

100_3897.jpg

I would trade you. One of yours for one of mine. :)

Back to the topic. I hope all see this so they know who not to send a mystery coin to anymore. I still have the few that I have always had and will never sell them. They do mean something to me. It's always the bad apples that makes stuff like this go wrong. I would of loved to get a couple of those mysterys coins that he is sell out of caches in my area.

One of my coins is for sale here and I realized when I gave them away that this would happen at some point. I hope the seller has a reason but it is his/hers to sell.

p.s. I hope someone else enjoys my coin when they get it.

I could only hope to find one of your coins but I guess I'm not close enough to Ireland. :)

Sigh. Don't let it stop you guys from gifting and trading personals, b/c it really does promote good will. I know when I found an unactivated coin in a cache, I was giddy and it led me to leave a few unactivated ones in caches. I'm not sure that I would have been so quick to do that if someone else hadn't "payed it forward". At the time, I was brand new to this coin addiction and I thought that the owner had left it by mistake. I even contacted them to make sure that they meant to drop it unactivated. Duh...newbie!

So, my point is, keep doing your thing and realize that 98.995% of folks treasure personal trades and mystery coins and would never pawn them off.

<removed by moderator>

i am thinking that he is in a position where he needs to sell.

things can change that fast, believe me i know. one day you are in a place where you can buy and trade coins, then you are SOL and have lost your job and now you have a handful of coins - what do you do with them?

so maybe withhold condemnations until things are clear. i am sorry for my comment about bidding low.

lara

Wow, you go away for a few hours and what happens?

This thread could have been handled much better and been opened and posted to within the guidelines - but it wasn't.

The OP linked to non-trackable coin sales on eBay. Yes, he's not affiliated with the sales and won't profit from it, but the same message (It's a shame to see mystery and gifted coins for sale on eBay) could have been conveyed. Those interested could have done their own homework without the name being posted here and the pitchforks being brought out.

I am closing this thread and will be sleeping on what actions to take as a result of it.

For the time being, do NOT open a new thread on this topic as it will only serve to fuel the fire. Even not using names now is too late. You can't un-ring a bell.

OK,

After a good night's sleep and talking with TPTB about this thread and the general direction of it, I am re-opening the thread.

Please read carefully

JayMills has done a good job of trying to keep this thread about the general practice of selling mystery/gift coins and the impact it has on the community and the mystery coin folks. In that sense, this thread is completely on topic.

Now, go back and re-read the thread

I've edited the posts that were out of line or violated the guidelines of posting. I've also referenced the section of the Forum Guidelines dealing with the disclosing of personal information. That would include saying that a particular eBay ID maps to a user here.

Why is this thread re-opened?

As stated often by the members in here, this is a community and when things happen that affect the community that is open for discussion. There is however a right way and a wrong way to do it.

If you are unsure about a post that you are going to make, I suggest one of two things:

1) Bounce it off of Eartha or I (just realize it's Friday and moving into the w/e and we're not sitting by our computers all day)

2) Don't post it. If you have to ask, it's probably not a good idea

I will be watching this thread closely and either:

1) Kicking people out for posting off-topic or violating the guidelines, OR

2) Suspending posting rights for posting off-topic or violating the guidelines

Finally, as you've noticed - I changed the thread title to more accurately reflect the nature of the discussion as it should be.

Now, the topic at hand is the sale of mystery/gift coins. This topic has come up before, and people have strong opinions on it - so speak your mind, within the guidelines, and keep it civil and all will be well in the coin world again.

Looking at the big picture, these things happen from time to time and we all live with them and move on. While it's important to this community to learn about things like this and discuss it, the world won't come to an end because of it. Please keep things in perspective.

Stepping off soapbox now to allow for the discussion to continue.

Finally, as you've noticed - I changed the thread title to more accurately reflect the nature of the discussion as it should be.

I saw the thread title pop up and was wondering how the heck I missed a thread with that title for so long judging by the number of responses....guess I hadn't! :)

Now, the topic at hand is the sale of mystery/gift coins. This topic has come up before, and people have strong opinions on it - so speak your mind, within the guidelines, and keep it civil and all will be well in the coin world again.

Looking at the big picture, these things happen from time to time and we all live with them and move on. While it's important to this community to learn about things like this and discuss it, the world won't come to an end because of it. Please keep things in perspective.

Stepping off soapbox now to allow for the discussion to continue.

I've given away plenty of coins in a variety of ways, such as gifts in a trade, at events to friends, donated to charity, etc. What the person does with the coin(s) is their business, if they want to keep it, toss it, trade it, sell it, melt it down to make a bullet, whatever. That just comes with the territory on giving someone a coin, it ain't yours anymore!

However, if I was the benefactor behind a mystery coin, I'd be a little irked to see one turn up for sale by someone I'd directly given a coin. If the coin had been traded away from the original recipient to someone with less of a clue or less scruples, no real foul on the part of the original recipient there in my mind.

Regardless of HOW the person selling the mystery coin acquired it or WHAT the situation involved that caused them to need/want to sell the coin, if the sale was started without contacting the mystery benefactor, in my mind that person wouldn't exactly be a good candidate to receive future mystery coins! :):D:D:)

First off, I don't know who this e-bay seller is and that's O.K. (my curious side would Love to know, though)

If this said seller makes it a habit of selling off "gifted" coins, that would be a BAD thing. If this person had encountered a true hardship, I guess, E- bay would net more money than coming to us and giving Us a chance at them. I supposed that once it is yours, you can do what ever with them. I, personally, would hope I never came into a situation where I would have to sell my "gifts". Oh, I have opinions but sometimes they just don't come across correctly.

All, in all, if this seller is having problems, I certainly hope that all will be well SOON!

I've been reading this thread over and checked out the auction on Ebay. It was suggested in some of the earlier posts that the "seller" may need to liquidate some assets for whatever reason. In these trying times, it is understandable that someone might feel a financial pinch due to losing a job, health reasons, or whatever. Had I INVESTED money and PURCHASED coins and had to sell in order to make ends meet, even coins that I paid way too much for because I wanted them that badly at the time, that's my business and I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. The issue here is that these were GIFTS. The "seller", should not be selling these (IMO) under any circumstances. Even if he/she just felt like getting out of coin collecting, why not pass on the gift to someone who would appreciate the gesture as much as it was originally intended for them? Buying such a coin demeans the whole idea behind them. And from what little I could get from the auction description, it does not appear that this was intended for anything other than reaping personal profit. Maybe I'm wrong about their financial situation, but the coin should not be sold.

I've been thinking about my comments overnight and would like to retract that portion which says "the auction did not appear to have been held for anything other than reaping personal profit". I have no way of knowing what the person's reasons are for selling a mystery coin are and should not have implied personal profit as being a motive - my apologies to the seller. I still feel however, that it is wrong to sell such a coin/gift. Sell off everything you've bought yourself if you need the cash or just want out of collecting, and if it were me and I wanted to part with the coin, I'd try to return the coin to the original "giver" if possible, with respect, or pass it along to someone who would appreciate it and in that way, you would pass along the generousity of the original giver.

Edited by nashuan

Judging by UOTrackers change in opinion, I just hope that everything is okay with the seller and his family..

I think my opinion on the sale of mystery coins and gifts in general would depend on the circumstances. Did the person see an easy way to make a quick buck? ..or was there an emergency..is somebody in the hospital w/out insurance? is someone's adjustable rate mortgage spiralling out of control? did he lose his job?, etc. (edit to add: I'm not asking, just stating some situations where it'd be acceptable)

I'd hold it against a person if they simply saw a way to get money, but if theres an emergency, I'd hope that they'd at least contact the mystery gifter let them know what's going on and get their approval.

But emergencies are just that, emergencies. Sometimes there's no time, and I'd certainly forgive a person for being at a loved ones side in the hospital instead of sending out 50 emails explaining the situation....

Edited by ThirstyMick

1. It was a gift, I for one do not put restrictions on anything I give someone. I would only hope that if they no longer need it that they would in turn either give it to someone else or sell it to someone else that could use it.

2. Giving someone a gift doesn't give you the right to know about their personal life. If that's the case I hope I never receive a gifted coin because I will not be updating you on my life events, nor seek permission to do with my belongings as I see fit.

This person putting their coins on ebay is doing so because they want to. If you're that concerned about them, bid on them and hopefully you'll win so you can do with them as YOU see fit.

Edited by XopherN71

P.S. :unsure Would it be ethical to actually bid on these coins :) ?

I bid on 2 of the coins. Why? Well because before I bid I emailed the seller to make sure they were ok. I asked if I could help in any way. This was how I could.

I have donated in the past to other cachers in their time of need. I didn't see any difference with this. If I win a mystery coin it will go in my collection. It will probably be the only way I will ever get my hands on one anyways.

It would have been nice if prior permission could have been obtained but I understand emergencies.

For the mystery coiners out there please don't be offended by our gesture to help out a cacher/coiner in need. Good Karma will always flow back if you send it out.