Sussex County Geocaching Basics 101 Event

Team Rampant Lion

On Sunday, May 18th, Team Divi Divi and I will host an introductory course in geocaching at Ryker Lake, Sparta Mountain. The event listing is posted here.

We need volunteers to help us take groups out and about throughout the day. For anyone who shows up to help and actually leads a group, I will give you one of my new personal geocoins in gold (only 20 made) as a token of my appreciation.

We are expecting a pretty sizable group of non-experienced people interested in learning about geocaching. We will be hiding a number of temporary caches to facilitate the experience as last year we found some people struggled with the climbs associated with some of the local caches.

Even if you don't want to lead a group, come join us for a great event.

Hmm, I just might be able to make this one. It's rare for me to be able to make it to events over the summer, since I'm back at home working most of the time, but I might be in that area later in the day anyway. If I can commit, I'll mark it on the cache page when the date draws nearer.

about a week way....

Just an update, There is a "Sparta Mountain Day" taking place this day, kind of an environmental earth-day thing. There will be lots of people new to caching that will not be posting there attendance on the event page. We hope to introduce new people as walk-ups to our demo table and take short tours as an intro to geocaching.

Thanks to anyone who can come out and join us and have some fun getting new people hooked on Geocaching! :blink:

11am to 1:30 are good hours... how early do you need volunteers to be there?

They have asked that all the group leaders be there by 10:00 AM.

PS - Watch the weather as they note that steady rain/thunder/lightning will cancel the environment activities (which includes us).

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

PS - Watch the weather as they note that steady rain/thunder/lightning will cancel the environment activities (which includes us).

Thanks. I'm shooting to leave the house (North Brunswick) around 9:00. Will there be an official call posted online by someone, or should I just roll over and go back to sleep if it's pouring?

Thanks. I'm shooting to leave the house (North Brunswick) around 9:00. Will there be an official call posted online by someone, or should I just roll over and go back to sleep if it's pouring?

I'll post something before I leave. It sounds like it might be ok in the morning and then get worse after noon so we may get it in. But bring plenty of bug spray - it is going to be very wet and I'm sure skeeters will be in full force.

For all the volunteers who will help by leading a group tomorrow, here are the temporary cache coordinates for those I set out today for the event (these will not be registered on GC.com).:

Hanging Around (a micro): N40 03.106 W074 32.740

Rock Sandwich (regular cache): N41 03.178 W074 32.594

Old Man In The Tree (virtual cache): N41 02.881 W074 32.617

Bridge Out (multi cache): N41 02.904 W 074 32.815 [stage 1]

N 41 02.969 W 074 32.853 [stage 2]

Our goal is to introduce new people to a variety of different caches. I will have cheat sheets for the group leaders (and gold coins :P ). Thanks for the help!

58444adb-8154-4e5c-a648-2644675d2f9b.jpg

Thanks to all who made this a successful event! We got to introduce new people to geocaching and take some out for a tour to find their first cache. The NNJC table at Sparta Mountain Day had many visitors who wanted to know "What is Geocaching" and "ok can we go look for one now?". It was a fun time as we finished up as the rain was starting. Thanks again for the help. :laughing: Look at the LARGE ammo can in left of pic. This is a preview of a soon to be placed TRL cache in the Sparta Glen area. :laughing: