how to calculated walking miles

Hmmmm.... I'm a little wary of the GPS tracklog distance. Not very long ago, I found I'd "moved" almost half a mile while sat next to a wall eating my lunch! Clearly this was because the signal was dodgy (I was virtually sat on it). I also find that quite a distance can be racked up while at ground zero searching for caches.

Hmmmm.... I'm a little wary of the GPS tracklog distance. Not very long ago, I found I'd "moved" almost half a mile while sat next to a wall eating my lunch! Clearly this was because the signal was dodgy (I was virtually sat on it). I also find that quite a distance can be racked up while at ground zero searching for caches.

I don't know you personally Ruston but doesn't this imply that you might have a signal blocking butt! :)

I'll now retire to a safe distance. :)

I also find that quite a distance can be racked up while at ground zero searching for caches.

I don't mind including the searching distance in my tracklog... after all, I walked around whilst looking for the cache! The little scribbles can be most amusing when you download them onto MM, for example...

ccc72cf7-6d08-4b89-bd30-dab3b3109d19.jpg

I don't know you personally Ruston but doesn't this imply that you might have a signal blocking butt! :)

I'll now retire to a safe distance. :D

I'm sure if you DID know me personally, you'd be able to manage to copy the six letters of my name in order :)

Don't all methods barring the pedometer omit the significance of changes in elevation? If you walk 5 miles along a slope that's on a 3 in 4 gradient (using the old 3,4,5 triangle), the GPSr tracklog or OS map will think you've only done 4 miles. Won't it?

Will it?

Gosh. I think this came up once before, but didn't seem to be resolved.

Don't all methods barring the pedometer omit the significance of changes in elevation? If you walk 5 miles along a slope that's on a 3 in 4 gradient (using the old 3,4,5 triangle), the GPSr tracklog or OS map will think you've only done 4 miles. Won't it?

Will it?

I dont know about Memory Map but Anquet gives what it calls 'Flat Length' and 'Hidden Length', hidden taking just that effect into account.

Will it?

I think that this thread attempts to tackle that one - too complcated for me. :)