Coin design tools

Tooeygeotrashed

I have downloaded GIMP - basically because it was free and I'm on a pension, but I am finding it very hard to use and not at all intuitive. I don't want to spend a great deal of money but would consider purchasing some graphics software if I thought I could easily get to grips with how to use it.

I have used a few different image manipulation packages and found some better than others. I like to be able to drag and drop, be able to do multiple undo's and I like the features to be intuitive - i.e. not have to read through three pages of help to realise the function I am looking at isn't going to do the job I want it to do in the first place.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive package?

I use Photoshop Elements. It's basically Photoshop, but a little lighter version. You can still work with layers and do different styles to the layers, resize things, all that good stuff. Just not quite as heavy duty as regular Photoshop.

Give me a holler if you'd like a little more "information" on it and I'll be happy to help!

Naomi :)

I like to be able to drag and drop, be able to do multiple undo's and I like the features to be intuitive - i.e. not have to read through three pages of help to realise the function I am looking at isn't going to do the job I want it to do in the first place.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive package?

You, my friend, have just described the holy grail of software: powerful, easy to use, and cheap. It is also just as hard to find as the holy grail!

I shelled out the money for the Adobe Suite because I use it for my line of work. I've only recently started designing coins, and find that it works great. I use Illustrator, but it only meets one of your criteria -- powerful. The learning curve is straight uphill, and its about as far away from 'cheap' as you can get.

Pencil and paper, you can't get any cheaper than that :) Although I admit, every mistake you make, you have to redo your work :mad: On the plus side there's something very therapeutic about drawing; put on some soothing music and just go deep into your own world. Sketching to final design, it's amazing to look at the final piece and watch what it turns into.

This wasn't an answer you were looking for though, was it? :P

...Can anyone recommend an inexpensive package?

Pencil and paper. No I'm not kidding. Mints and coin makers can take your art and turn it into something better.

That said. Paint.net is simple. Gimpshop is The Gimp with an Adobe Photoshop skin to make it simialr in commands. All graphics programs take a lot of work to learn.

For that matter if you can' t draw a CAD program would work.

The entire point of the art is to convey to the mint what you want. The better the art the less likely they give you something you were not expecting. However no matter what you give them they will still have to creat a die from it and that's all new work.

For what it's worth, I keep Parrolet, Lori Darlin and Toojin & Bart entertained with both my pencil drawing and efforts to use Paint (the free thing with Windoze) to illistrate anything...

Edited by Renegade Knight

Have used;

Adobe Elements

TurboCad (expensive)

Corel Print Ofice(cheap)

Seem to always go back to pencil & paper. Then scan or take photo.

Check out PhotoFiltre(free download). Free usually means limited tooling. Have not used PhotoFiltre for a few years, but I liked it.

Some digital cameras come with an editing program. My Canon did.

Any more I prefer Adobe Elements. Think they are at ver.6.0. So you should be able to find an older version cheap.

I use the Print Shop 22 to design mine. I can manage to get the basic idea of what I want to the companies. Since we got our new computer though I can't use the Print Shop 22 on Vista without updating it so I'm going to wait til version 23 comes out in Sept. or Oct. and get it.

I have completed a design that I wish to submit for minting (I did a free-hand drawing). I have yet to receive a reply from the 2 companies I've emailed asking them how to submit the art. Do they prefer a photo? Fax? Does this vary?

How long should I wait for an answer before I assume they aren't interested in working with me? (Just out of curiosity - I've only just emailed them.)

I am using Inkscape. It is a free vector graphics program that can handle images, too, and it suits my needs for most graphical purposes fully! It has a great vectorizing engine built in.

(And- Yes, no coin of mine out there - but a lot of stamps ;i))))

Edited by helixrider

I should have mentioned that I also use pen, paper, and a make shift light box. I have a glass shelf that I sit across my knees and place a small light under. I'm able to use that as both a stable desk and a manner to trace detail from one drawing to another. A lot of times I'll find a shape I like or an image that I want to take some detail from and it's easier to draw it by hand than it is to copy, cut and paste. I stink at layers! So, if you ever come to my house, be prepared to see a sofa and coffee table full of papers with drawings at various states of completion, a scanner for uploading them for work with photoshop, printed out versions of things previously scanned and uploaded and worked in photoshop, and further drawings from them. And, of course, strewn haphazardly all over the place! Each coin I've done so far has had between 10 and 15 drawings done of it, over and over and over! I use crayons and colored pencils to try to get an idea of things, too!

But, as far as programs to put it all together, it's definitely Photoshop Elements!

Naomi

CS3 Production Premium. I'm spoiled to use it daily for work :) but at home I'm only on CS1. I bounce back and forth between them. The most important tool for me though is the Wacom tablet. Turns your computer into any illustration medium you can think of at the blink of an eye. It's invaluable and ironically is putting Photoshop pros back to their basics by evoking the pencil to paper train of thought for their serious bouts of creativity. :)

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I had a feeling that pencil and paper were going to feature a lot in the answers. If I had a steady hand I would tend to agree, but a graphics package is SO much better at drawing lines and circles and caligraphy. I guess I am a very impatient person as well because I want to get instant results and get frustrated when I can't accomplish what I am trying to achieve. I have seen artwork for coins that quite frankly looked disappointing, but the finished article looked stunning. I have also seen some stunning artwork only to find that the finished product was a real let down. I guess it is just mostly time and experience - like most things in life, spend a lot on the first gain a lot of the second and I will be in a much better position to visualise and draw (freehand or otherwise) a design that when minted will look as I hoped it would.

Only thing I can recommend on the straight, non-shaky line is to not look at your pen tip when you draw it. Look ahead to the point where you want the line to end. It really helps. I can draw a fairly straight line that way, but if I concentrate on the pen tip, fuggeddaboutit! Same thing with a circle. don't look at the pen tip. Let your mind and hand work, don't get your eyes overly involved concentrating on where you're drawing, look at the origin/destination and visualize the circle and let your mind work :)

Naomi

I use Adobe Illustrator and occasionally photoshop. Illustrator is a vector program so you can resize etc without losing resolution (unlike paint programs such as photoshop). Type is also kept as type you can edit it quickly or redraw it.

Illustrator isn't really necessary, I only use it to provide mint ready artwork, to save time on the process.

I have completed a design that I wish to submit for minting (I did a free-hand drawing). I have yet to receive a reply from the 2 companies I've emailed asking them how to submit the art. Do they prefer a photo? Fax? Does this vary?

How long should I wait for an answer before I assume they aren't interested in working with me? (Just out of curiosity - I've only just emailed them.)

Have you tried calling them?

I'll add a vote to hand-drawn art. Any of the major companies can take your concept and turn it into die-art. It doesn't need to be perfect when submitting it.