Garmin gpsmap 60CSx

Hello all,

Let me start by saying everyone on this board has been kind and a great help to me. I have a couple of questions about maps and the micro sd card. Can you use a 1 gig or above card in these units? And if you load large maps say the whole Southeast region, maybe 7 states, will it slow navigation process down of rendering movement flow?

Thanks in advanced

...Can you use a 1 gig or above card in these units? And if you load large maps say the whole Southeast region, maybe 7 states, will it slow navigation process down of rendering movement flow?

Yes, you can use a 1 gig card, or a 2 gig card. There are restrictions, you just need a "plain vanilla" micro SD, not the Ultra II or SDHC. Someone else can probably clarify. 2GB is the biggest you can use in the 60CSx, from what I read here.

I think some users have reported the NT maps can "hiccup" when re-drawing, due to the extra compression. I've got my 1GB card loaded up with almost all of CONUS from Metro Guide, and it redraws quickly enough for me.

From my understanding, you can use up to a 2GB microSD card in Garmin products. With a 2GB card you can load the entire United States and still have room left over.

I'm not sure if it will slow the device down. I haven't seen any speed decreases.

Hope this helps.

-ea6bflyr B)

Can you use a 1 gig or above card in these units?

I am using a 4 gig SDHC card in my 76CSx. You are limited to loading about 2 gig of maps or 2025 map tiles, whichever is less; but it works fine. You can use the rest of the space on the card for track logs or anything else you want. You can access it through the unit’s Mass Storage mode. Annoyedone in the 76C(S)(x) Yahoo group is using a 6 gig card in his. Same results.

if you load large maps say the whole Southeast region, maybe 7 states, will it slow navigation process down of rendering movement flow?

I have all of CNNA 2008 NT loaded. It doesn’t seem any slower than before I got my 4 gig card and had only the tile for the state of Colorado loaded on the 128 MB card that comes with the unit. But I did not do an experiment to check. Just my subjective perception. I can tell you that everything seems to work fast enough for me.

Many others have loaded all of CN on their units. I have never seen anyone report that it slowed things down.

8GB works fine in 60/76C(S)x

You can have several gmapsupp.img

One with Europe and one with US

They can not have same name, so you need a PC to rename them, but it saves transfere time.

gmapsupp.img_US

gmapsupp.img_EU

gmapsupp.img_Topo

etc

I am using the 1 Gig Micro SD card in my 60CX. The only version of City Navigator I could get locally was not the NT version so it does not compress as well. I have been told that with the NT version of the software you can load the whole US. My 1 Gig card has everything on City Navigator 8 west of the Mississippi and Topo for eastern Idaho.

I have some additional questions - I am new to the cx60 - how do I load multiple maps onto the memory card and then swap them / pick and chose which map to load - I am using the maps that came with my legend - is that part of the problem - I can only load a small portion of the country at a time and would like to have all of it on my GPSr even if I can't load it all - the map tiles are fairly small and I run into limitations due to the sheer number of tiles I am trying to load -(topoCANADA)

I have some additional questions - I am new to the cx60 - how do I load multiple maps onto the memory card and then swap them / pick and chose which map to load - I am using the maps that came with my legend - is that part of the problem - I can only load a small portion of the country at a time and would like to have all of it on my GPSr even if I can't load it all - the map tiles are fairly small and I run into limitations due to the sheer number of tiles I am trying to load -(topoCANADA)

First thing to remember is that you have to add maps all at one time. If you send a bunch of maps to your GPS using Mapsource, the next time you send any maps, it overwrites what's there. So you have to plan ahead and/or use multiple cards.

You can fit a lot of map data on a 1GB or 2GB card, but you're right, you're limited by the number of tiles. I think there's someone who wrote a utility that merges Topo map tiles - I remember reading about it on this group a while back. It gets around the "number of tiles" limit.