Getting Garmin 60CSx to recognise SD card.

I have never been able to access the 32 meg SD card in my 60CSx. I went out and purchased a 2 gig SD card and can not access it. I went to the Garmin site and found this:

First, you the device must be in "Mass Storage Mode". To do this, turn the device on, connect it to the computer via the USB cable, then press 'Menu' twice > click 'Enter' on "Setup" > click 'Enter' on "Interface", and choose "USB Mass Storage".

Next, on the PC, go to "My Computer", and look under "Devices with Removable Storage". There should be a listing for “Removable Disk.” Make sure that the "Removable Disk" is the GPS and not another card reader or external hard drive. Then right click on the drive and choose to "Format".

If the drive is not listed under "My Computer" then go to "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" and there should be a listing for a Drive in the bottom. Right click on this option and then select "Properties". In the header you should see the gps listed (ex. Map76CSx). Close this window and right click on the listing, and choose "Assign Letter or Path". Choose "Add", and then choose a letter that is not being used by the computer. Click "Ok". Go back into "My Computer", and the device should be listed under Devices with Removable Storage.

I followed the procedure and I do not see the device in "My Computer", so i follow the extended instructions, but do not see the drive that is mentioned.

I know I am stupid, but where am I going wrong?

I have never been able to access the 32 meg SD card in my 60CSx. I went out and purchased a 2 gig SD card and can not access it.

where am I going wrong?

Have you loaded USB drivers for the GPSr on your computer?

Though written for Mapsource, this may answer your question

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/searchsupport

Drivers are downloaded here

60CSx drivers

Comments about size of SD cards

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=137396

The drivers are loaded. I have been able to load waypoints and POI's without problem. I can load my maps via mapsource (Canada Topo50). The device is recognized when I plug it into my computer. The interface is set to USB Mass Storage. Mapsource works fine. The only problem is the recognizing the SD card.

I tried installing the drivers on a different computer, with the same result.

Edited by Plasma Boy

Could your card be DOA? I'm using two 2GB cards made by Ativa and both work fine. Try this:

Page through to your Tracks page

scroll to Setup, hit enter

scroll to Data Card Setup, hit enter

press Menu, select Card Info

I have the entire City Disk NT loaded and no tracks stored.

I see the following:

50% Full

Maps: 977.3MB

Tracks 0

Misc Space .05MB

Free Space 969.28

Total Used 977.34

The drivers are loaded. I have been able to load waypoints and POI's without problem. I can load my maps via mapsource (Canada Topo50). The device is recognized when I plug it into my computer. The interface is set to USB Mass Storage. Mapsource works fine. The only problem is the recognizing the SD card.

I tried installing the drivers on a different computer, with the same result.

Besides "A", "C" "D", what other drive letters are being used by your pc? I've had an SD card in a reader not get recognized because of interference with other drive letters (from other partitions and mapped drives)

If you have drive letters other than A, C or D - like for another partition - try reassigning (NOT A, C or D) them to something else and see if your card is recognized.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/fin...-on-windows-xp/

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.ht...ssageID=1719434

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=400

Do you have a regular USB card reader you can try?

Edited by cliff_hanger

Since you're able to load maps, you know that the card does work. So the issue is somewhere in the difference between "send to GPS" and "mass storage" mode. USB can be really frustrating to diagnose - I have a camera that won't connect via an un-powered hub. Here's a couple more dumb things to try (only do one at a time so you'll know what worked):

1. What USB port are you connecting to on your computer? If you're using a front-panel connector or a USB hub, try one of the ports directly on the motherboard. If you're using a motherboard connector already, switch to another one. If you've got to use a hub, sometimes whether it's powered or not makes a difference, too.

2. Check that the SD card is seated (i.e., pull it out and re-seat it).

3. Re-seat the USB cable connectors on both ends.

4. Try a different USB cable.

5. Try a USB card reader, rather than your GPS. You can get a miniature SD card reader for less than $5 that's not much bigger than a USB flash drive at NewEgg or Fry's or other electronics places. It seems faster to transfer maps to my SD card using that as opposed to uploading to GPS, anyway...

Edited by JSWilson64

Before anyone else wastes time trying to help me, I did say at the beginning that I was stupid.

My problem was TOO MUCH INFORMATION X 2.

When I first put the 2 gig card in, I got greedy and tried to send too many maps. Mapsource said I had under 2 gig of data to send, but I forgot the formatter's golden rule. I forgot about the system space on the disk.

After that I assumed a big problem so went around asking for help, my local association, Groundspeak forums and at Garmin. I was deluged with fixes. If I had a problem other than stupidity, these fixes would have come in handy. They still are good information to know. Just not this time around. None of the fixes did anything. While reading a friend's post, I noticed that he said that the original card had data on it. I had assumed that the maps were on the internal memory and the original card was not working. It was working as I found out when I fired it up with out any card. 3smurfs also emailed me with some information that was ground breaking. Ignore the facts and go with your gut. I paraphrased that.

I put the 2 gig in and tried to load more than the old card would take, but less than the 2 gigs. Loaded everything.

Much adieu about nothing. The sky is not falling after all. Thanks every one for helping me out. This is why I never RTFM.

So, I am able to only load 2025 maps from my Canada Topo50 series onto my 60CSx. I sent this message to Garmin:

I have put a formatted 2 gig card into my 60CSx. Using Mapsource, I have been able to transfer 2025 maps from the Canada Topo50 series of disks. This is only 800 meg. The card says that it is 35% full. Why can't I transfer 2 gigs worth of maps to the 60CSx? Is there a problem with the mapsource software?

and this is their reply:

There is a maximum number of maps that the 60csx can read and the happens to be 2025 map. It cannot read anything over that. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Anyone else bumped into this 2025 ceiling? Anyone figure a way around it?