Garmin 60csx satellite lock time

Hi, I had Vista hcx and sold it to get a garmin 60 csx, for the bigger screen and buttons. From what I read they had similar chipsets and high sensitivity receivers. Since I got the 60csx It seems like longer times to acquire the satellites. Is this common or didi i get a lemon and need to exchange it. Thyanks for your help!

Are you running the latest firmware? Use the webupdater to spiff up your unit's firmware and chipset software - that might help. I wouldn't say my 60CSx takes an inordinate amount of time to lock. Usually I roll my bike out of the garage, hit the power button, put on my helmet, hit the garage door button, and start riding. By the time I get to the end of the block, it's locked.

And no, my block isn't 5 miles long... B)

Are you running the latest firmware? Use the webupdater to spiff up your unit's firmware and chipset software - that might help. I wouldn't say my 60CSx takes an inordinate amount of time to lock. Usually I roll my bike out of the garage, hit the power button, put on my helmet, hit the garage door button, and start riding. By the time I get to the end of the block, it's locked.

And no, my block isn't 5 miles long... B)

My 76CSX which is nearly a year old, locks very fast. I would say a minute or less if outside.. Even inside mostly locks within 10 mintues.

Far as i know, both GPS's are about the same in all ways cept looks.

--danny

-mo_town_man

My 60CX gets a satellite lock in under a minute unless I am in a new area or the country. Even then it won't take more than a couple of minutes to get satellite lock. Once I have done this I normally get a lock in under 30 seconds. I wouldn't think that the 60CSX would be any different as far as getting a satellite lock. Maybe updating your firmware will take care of this issue.

Good Luck........

I remember reading another thread about about this,some people saying that after the 3.60 chipset update that their 60csx was getting a sat. fix quicker than before they updated.I didn't notice much change on my 76 csx,sat. fix times vary anyway,my 76 is pretty good.When I compare the fix times to my friend Vista hcx,the Vista might just beat it by a hair,and and only about 60% of the time.The perfect GPS does'nt exist.Big screen is nice,small size is nice too,maybe just get them both ???

Here is my personal experience with my 60CSx.

If I replace the battery and/or bring out my GPS from inside (absolutely no signal) to out side and turn it it... it does take several minutes to search and lock into few sat.

But, if I have it turned off but keep with outside for longer period of time (never bothered to measure how long) and when I turn it on... I would almost instantly get several sat. signal and in about 30 seconds or so it would start locking into those signals.

So I guess even when it is powered off, as long as it is in open sky... it helps gather? sat locations? I don't know.

I ended up with a VistaHCx and a 60CSx temporarily (one's getting returned) and the Vista is WAY faster on the initial lock and getting the accuracy down. In fact, when I turn them both on cold sitting here at the computer, the Vista will lock and switch to the map page in less that half a minute (about 90' when I got back to the sat. page) whereas more often than not the 60 will fail to get a signal (error message after what, 2 minutes I think?). Just did them both on a warm start (they have only been off about half an hour) and they both performed almost exactly the same.

Both units have the latest updates.

I was in the grocery store earlier today for about 30 minutes. I came out, took the 60CSx out of the glove box and turned it on. It locked pretty much instantly (1-2 seconds). I was reading this thread and decided to try it sitting at my desk near a window. It locked in 24 seconds after being off for 3 hours. All that said, it can take 30-45 seconds to get a lock in the mornings after being off nearly 12 hours. All in all, much better than my previous units.

Same here. It's a fact.

Likewise; I always pause a minute to let the 60CSx acquire. I don't think it's a problem unique to the 60/76 series; I first encountered it on my original B&W Vista years ago, when I was driving around town and wondering why it was having some much trouble aquiring!