Should I be concerned

IANNA

I own a cache that is pretty much behind my house in a field. The cache is located approximately 20ft from my fence line. It has been there for 9 months now, and has over 40 finds. Up until recently I have had alot of people say nice cache, quick grab etc. But in the last 6 logs 3 have mentioned a loud dog near the cache. Which is true. I own a large loud dog who can get to his backyard through out the day. My yard is surrounded by a 6 foot wood privacy fence that contains the dog so there is no way for him to get out but my concerns is that some of these comments may scare cachers away even if there is no danger to be had. I have listed some of the quotes below

Quick and easy, just as advertised. Went with Mixterla, and as she said, the dogs were drawing attention to us....

Dog next door was a bit loud.

Nice hide, but the dogs in the area didn't seem to appreciate me stumbling around the area!

Now I will admit my dog can be loud if he sees people, and he is partially a guard dog as well as a family pet so he isn't very people friendly so I have posted beware of dog signs on my fence so people don't try to "pet" him. But my concern is that even though there is no danger of dog hurting someone unless they decide to try to pet the loud obnoxious dog behind the fence with the beware of dog signs. People will decide that this cache is dangerous and not want to attempt it anymore after reading some of the logs. So here is my question should I post something in the text of the cache note about the dogs or just let it go since it has 40 finds already with out notes? And if i should post something in the notes how would you word it?

Not to cast any aspersions, however this may be a contributing factor.

I have caches that have literally gone years without a single complaint. Then suddenly someone DNF's it or has some complaint about the container, the terrain, etc. After that, a "group" mentality seems to take over and there are a few very similar comments. When I check on the cache (generally after 2 DNF's or a significant "issue"), nothing has changed. I post a maintenance log and they stop. I am not saying ignore issues, but some times...well...let's just say "peer pressure".

In you case, it may be that the dog is an issue. If there are certain times of day he is out, let them know in the description. At the very least, let them know the dog is well aware the cache is there. B)

I would not worry too much, a barking dog is the least of the issues and if the neighbors are not worried, doubt many cachers will either.

From a liability standpoint, I would be worried about one of two things.

1) My dog biting someone.

2) Some one making an accusation that my dog bit them.

It may not matter if there is a warning posted. I've seen a lot of dog owners lose their dog her recently over what appears to be a 'small matter' of their dog nipping at someone.

It may not matter if there is a warning posted. I've seen a lot of dog owners lose their dog her recently over what appears to be a 'small matter' of their dog nipping at someone.

If you follow that train of thought, the only solution is to not have a dog.

I helped my brother recently in placing his first cache. It's on the edge of the property where my family lives and my family loves animals so theres plenty of cats roaming around and a fairly large dog that often gets tied outside.

I told him to put on there 'it's on my property, we have a dog, she lets us know if someone is around but she's mostly just bark.' I knew if he didn't say anything about the dog tied a ways away that he'd hear about it constantly.

I'd put in the description, there is a dog nearby behind a fence, leave it alone and all it will do is bark. Then people know theres a dog, leave it alone and you'll be fine.

I agree. Add a note about it and people will know what to expect before going.

Shortly after placing my cache, a large honey bee colony took residence in a tree you have to walk past. A cacher thankfully mentioned it, and I took a peak. After confirming you can easily walk around it, I made the note in my cache description. The bee hive went from what could have been a concern to becoming kind of a neat thing to see (and hear, the tree practically vibrates) on the short hike in to the cache. When people know something ahead of time, they do not become so alarmed or offended by it.

I actually have researched this particular point due to the fact that many kids play in this field when weather is good and on occasion their ball lands in my backyard. So far they have been good and come to the door and ask and one of us will go get their ball for them. But I always wondered what would happen if I wasn't home and they decided to hope the fence or try to get their ball and got bit. But after some research if I have signs up and they are ignored and someone gets bit i am not liable with our local laws.

Not to cast any aspersions, however this may be a contributing factor.

I have caches that have literally gone years without a single complaint. Then suddenly someone DNF's it or has some complaint about the container, the terrain, etc. After that, a "group" mentality seems to take over and there are a few very similar comments. When I check on the cache (generally after 2 DNF's or a significant "issue"), nothing has changed. I post a maintenance log and they stop. I am not saying ignore issues, but some times...well...let's just say "peer pressure".

In you case, it may be that the dog is an issue. If there are certain times of day he is out, let them know in the description. At the very least, let them know the dog is well aware the cache is there. B)

I would not worry too much, a barking dog is the least of the issues and if the neighbors are not worried, doubt many cachers will either.

Agree.. Lots of people have nothing original to say so they parrot the previous logs. I wouldn't worry about it. People often complain about the briars on the approach to one of my caches but I don't go out and clear a trail.

I decided to add this to the cache description.

Recent logs have indicated a Dog barking at them. The Dog closest to the cache is my dog and he will bark, but is confined by a fence. The dog is not people friendly so please do not attempt to pet him.

I actually have researched this particular point due to the fact that many kids play in this field when weather is good and on occasion their ball lands in my backyard. So far they have been good and come to the door and ask and one of us will go get their ball for them. But I always wondered what would happen if I wasn't home and they decided to hope the fence or try to get their ball and got bit. But after some research if I have signs up and they are ignored and someone gets bit i am not liable with our local laws.

Is your dog's name Hercules? - "The Sandlot"

Add the dog story to your cache page and nobody has a reason to complain. That other famous geocaching team - Sue & Vinny - take you to the most obnoxious and dangerous places, but they plaster the cache page with warnings so if anybody goes there they have no reason to complain. Some folks are more squeamish than others - add a warning/description and folks can decide for themselves.

Actually if you wanted to really know the name of my monster it is Tigger and he is a 105lb Chow/Boxer/Akita mix

Chow/PitBull/Akita and I'm not sure what you would have but it would be deadly, loyal, and probably fuzzy cute.

I had some Chow Border collie pups. The chow didn't let a mere fence stand in his way when our Border collie was in heat. He broke the fence and the rest is history. The pups were cute buggars. Those owners got rid of the chow and got a new pup. They didn't take one they helped create. Grrrr...

Actually if you wanted to really know the name of my monster it is Tigger and he is a 105lb Chow/Boxer/Akita mix

Chow/PitBull/Akita and I'm not sure what you would have but it would be deadly, loyal, and probably fuzzy cute.

I had some Chow Border collie pups. The chow didn't let a mere fence stand in his way when our Border collie was in heat. He broke the fence and the rest is history. The pups were cute buggars. Those owners got rid of the chow and got a new pup. They didn't take one they helped create. Grrrr...

For what he is he is a good looking dog, he is brindle or tiger striped and but he can be scary looking if you dont know him

So here is my question should I post something in the text of the cache note about the dogs or just let it go since it has 40 finds already with out notes? And if i should post something in the notes how would you word it?

"The dog next door is mine. He will bark, but he isn't dangerous, as long as you keep all your body parts on your side of the fence."

That should do it.

So here is my question should I post something in the text of the cache note about the dogs or just let it go since it has 40 finds already with out notes? And if i should post something in the notes how would you word it?

"The dog next door is mine. He will bark, but he isn't dangerous, as long as you keep all your body parts on your side of the fence."

That should do it.

By 'do it', do you mean people will no longer complain?

Just because they may not complain on the cache page or let you know about it, that doesn't mean they aren't annoyed.

Its annoying / scary for many people to get barked at while looking for a cache (or anytime really), even if you say 'it's fine'. Also, the neighbors often don't know about the cache. People rummaging around + barking dog = often equals police called on a cacher.

Is there something special about the fence behind your backyard which makes for an interesting cache location? Caches 'in front of hider's house / work /etc so i can watch people looking for it' are generally stupid, IMO, and in the O of many long time cachers that I know.

That should do it.

By 'do it', do you mean people will no longer complain?

Just because they may not complain on the cache page or let you know about it, that doesn't mean they aren't annoyed.

Its annoying / scary for many people to get barked at while looking for a cache (or anytime really), even if you say 'it's fine'. Also, the neighbors often don't know about the cache. People rummaging around + barking dog = often equals police called on a cacher.

Is there something special about the fence behind your backyard which makes for an interesting cache location? Caches 'in front of hider's house / work /etc so i can watch people looking for it' are generally stupid, IMO, and in the O of many long time cachers that I know.

From the cache page, people will know that it is next to the OP's home and that she has a dog who might bark. This is plenty of information to allow you and those who agree with you to avoid the cache and allow everyone else to enjoy it. Edited by sbell111

Yea...try to stick to the altoid tin urban park n' grabs on a run in the mill side street. Their much more interesting. :)

For sure if I saw the logs I would pass on this one. I have had some bad times with Dogs and don't want to repeat them. My fear is the dog is in protection mode and gets loose. That has happened to me several times and I never got hurt but the owner had to come get the dog cause it would not let me move in any direction.

I think you have concerns here of People shying away, but at the same time none of the logs came right out and said that. I assume someone would, if your dog appeared to be a real threat. The problem here is - the cacher is an outsider to the dog and doesn't belong there. He could bark because he percieves you as a threat or is just calling you to play with him.

You know your dog better than anyone. If he would hurt someone if he got loose - you have a real problem.

I use to be a paper boy and have seen all types of dogs and they are NOT equal. Just because a dog barks is not a problem - sometimes it is. It is not always predictable which way it will go.

Evaluate your DOG!

Once a car seller invited me to see the car he had for sale, when I showed up - I barely made it back to my car without incident. I called the Police on that guy and was willing to press charges.

A cacher can always email one of the previous finders and ask what they think.

I think you should do that to all of your finders. See what they thought - were they concerned and on a scale of 1 to 10 how much. That will give you a good indicator!

The main thing is - what is going to happen if your dog gets - loose! willl he lick your face or eat it!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I am not near you, however Google Streetview fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) gives a good view of this cache.

If that privacy fence is yours, you have no worries beyond that of an average pet owner. Also, you have dozens of comments over an extended period of time with no mention of the dog, then one person mentions it and two or three chimed in with some sort of agreement. Hardly a problem. You have taken due diligence, move on and have fun.

Tell Tigger "Woof" for us.

Not much worse than a barking to ruin a cache hunt.

I don't even bother when I approach and some mutt starts yelping.

MAYBE if there was a comment in the cache description about it being either yours or a neighbor in the know I'd look further.

I own a cache that is pretty much behind my house in a field. The cache is located approximately 20ft from my fence line. It has been there for 9 months now, and has over 40 finds. Up until recently I have had alot of people say nice cache, quick grab etc. But in the last 6 logs 3 have mentioned a loud dog near the cache. Which is true. I own a large loud dog who can get to his backyard through out the day. My yard is surrounded by a 6 foot wood privacy fence that contains the dog so there is no way for him to get out but my concerns is that some of these comments may scare cachers away even if there is no danger to be had. I have listed some of the quotes below

Quick and easy, just as advertised. Went with Mixterla, and as she said, the dogs were drawing attention to us....

Dog next door was a bit loud.

Nice hide, but the dogs in the area didn't seem to appreciate me stumbling around the area!

Now I will admit my dog can be loud if he sees people, and he is partially a guard dog as well as a family pet so he isn't very people friendly so I have posted beware of dog signs on my fence so people don't try to "pet" him. But my concern is that even though there is no danger of dog hurting someone unless they decide to try to pet the loud obnoxious dog behind the fence with the beware of dog signs. People will decide that this cache is dangerous and not want to attempt it anymore after reading some of the logs. So here is my question should I post something in the text of the cache note about the dogs or just let it go since it has 40 finds already with out notes? And if i should post something in the notes how would you word it?