Magellan Crossover / Downloading Waypoints...

jawx

Hello everybody! This is my first time posting on these forums! I have been a member or geocaching.com for almost one year and I absolutely love this sport. Im addicted. I have a Magellan Crossover GPS for driving and for geocaching which is convenient but I know that there are much better GPS's for geocaching. Anyways, Im tired of entering coords in manually and I want to be able to just download them to my gps. I am a premium member now so I have more options available. My magellan came with the POI file editor and thats it. I downloaded mapsend light but Im afraid that its not compatible with the crossover. I havent even attempted to try it. I need help figuring out exactly what the best and easiest way of downloading caches directly to my crossover is. Does anybody know. Ive tried searching and have been unlucky. It seems like my gps was not intended for geocaching although it works. I have been able to download one GPX file at a time and then insert it into the POI editor but that is still not good enough for me! I dont really know what im doing...

Thanks guys!

I have the 2200T, not upgraded to crossover, but should work the same for you. Here's how I do it. Get a pocket query from GC.com. I then take the gpx file with 100 to 200 caches in it and load it into GSAK. You can skip the GSAK step I just do it so the cache name not GC34DI5 shows up. I then export the caches from GSAK into a .GPX file. From this point forward you could just take the .GPX file you get from GC.com and it would work fine. Open up POI editor and drag and drop the file into the left hand side. This will populate all the caches into the editor. Then save the file as WHATEVER.MGLN (I think MGLN is the extension, just use the default). Then I open Magellan tools and drop the POI (whatever.mgln) file into the unit. Make sure you update to the newest version on Magellan Tools I think it's 3.50.09. Once the file is on the unit go into POI selector and select the new file and you are good to go.

Also update the unit to the newest firmware if you haven't already. It makes the maps look MUCH better.

sanramonhunter has described how to get geocaches as Enhanced POIs. You can street route to them but you can't use them in outdoor mode. To use them in outdoor mode, you need to convert that gpx file to a .upt file. I use gpsbabel, but I think you could also use GSAK. The .upt file is created on your computer so you'll need to copy it to your SD card (yup, you'll need an SD card for the GPS unit). Then in outdoor mode, go to Options, Import Data, Waypoints and select the .upt file that you just copied to the SD card. There is a glitch in recognizing new data on the SD card but if you go to the map screen before you insert the SD card, I think that fixes it.

Hope this helps,

JetSkier

yea thanks guys. I have been researching and ive noticed that both of you have talked about this alot! My crossover is updated to the newest firmware and new maps that I purchased from mallegan for 80 dollars. The SD card is already inserted with the new maps on them and your right there is about 500mb of free space, thats good enough to use for caches... Now my other questions are is it possible to download them to the SD card while its still in the unit using the usb cable? I dont think that you can do it because Ive tried so many different ways and it seems to be impossible. Also, is it safe to use the magellan map SD card for this or should I use a different one and swap them out? I dont want to screw up the 80 dollar maps! Have you guys tried Magellan Mapsend Mananger? I was reading about it and tried to download it but unfortunantly it wont let me unzip the file. There seems to be a bug with the program.

Thanks guys.

jawx,

I have the map upgrade on SD card as well and I do remove it to place upt files on it. I usually make sure I'm not in Vechicle Nav mode when I remove and replace it. I've had no problems doing this.

As far as I know, there is no way to add your upt files to the SD card via USB. You can add the mgln (enhanced POI) file to the SD card via USB using the Magellan Tools that come with the unit.

The only thing that I use the Mapsend Manager for is to convert wpt files to upt files and now I use gpsbabel. I modified the source code of gpsbabel so that it creates the upt file with the cache name as the waypoint name instead of the useless GC number!

JetSkier

I'm not an expert at changing C files and building an executable. Is there another way to get the descriptions to be the name (maybe using another program)? If not, could you put your version somewhere on the web, maybe in the files section of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/2200TIssues/?

I joined the group but I don't get the link to upload any files. If you contact me through geocaching.com with your email address, I'll email it to you.

JetSkier

Are the things you guys are talking about here possible on a Roadmate 2000? I have one of these cheapie units and was considering springing for the $80 upgrade CD/SD Card combo and wanted to know if it was worth it.

With the SD card are you able to add POI's? I think the 2200T and the 2000 are similar except for the text-to-speech capabilities. Am I right?

Are the things you guys are talking about here possible on a Roadmate 2000? I have one of these cheapie units and was considering springing for the $80 upgrade CD/SD Card combo and wanted to know if it was worth it.

With the SD card are you able to add POI's? I think the 2200T and the 2000 are similar except for the text-to-speech capabilities. Am I right?

If your asking about "crossover" functionality they don't have that for the 2000. If you talking about the enhanced POI's probably the easiest way to find out is try to select one on your unit. First go to Points of Interest on your unit. If it has a selection for enhanced then all you should need to do is download Magellan POI File editor to manipulate the GPX files, then download and use Magellan Tools to upload to the GPS. Both these programs may have been included with your unit.