Cartridge error on save and close

geos715

Hi Guys:

My wife and I have put together a nice Wherigo cartridge "HighlandFling" which is played here in Needham, Ma. The game proceeds along nicely, processing each zone as the accompanying question is answered. The various zones are enabled correctly as the player proceeds along the route. The trouble comes at the very last when the player selects the save and close button. Instead of saving and closing, it returns "unexpected error closing cartridge" message and shuts down. There is no save file and the log has no errors mentioned. The game can save and restore the game at the various zones so I know it can save a game. Naturally, things play ok in the emulator.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Tom Birchmire

I changed some stuff that didn't have anything to do with the problem and of course the cartridge error went away. That's the way it is sometimes with beta software and beta programmers.

Regards, Tom B

Hi Guys:

My wife and I have put together a nice Wherigo cartridge "HighlandFling" which is played here in Needham, Ma. The game proceeds along nicely, processing each zone as the accompanying question is answered. The various zones are enabled correctly as the player proceeds along the route. The trouble comes at the very last when the player selects the save and close button. Instead of saving and closing, it returns "unexpected error closing cartridge" message and shuts down. There is no save file and the log has no errors mentioned. The game can save and restore the game at the various zones so I know it can save a game. Naturally, things play ok in the emulator.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Tom Birchmire

Don't feel too bad about it. Such a thing happens all the time in computers. For instance, take this story from what I went through at work:

I have some JavaScript to insert an option into a selection box at a specific place. However, IE7 displayed a blank option when the code was run. The fix was quirky: I added two lines of code after the insertion code. The first line stored the value of the option into a variable and the second stored the text (what people see on the web page) into another variable. I didn't do anything else with those variables or the option after that. For some reason, that fixed the problem in IE7. Odd. What's even better is that there doesn't seem to be any literature online that mentions this problem.

The point is, that's just a normal occurrence when programming. I feel your pain, really I do.

Hi Again:

I'm attaching a file.zip with some interesting log files, a lua file (if you want to run it in the emulator comment out the environment function call and uncomment out the next line.) and some files generated by the Colorado (prefix CO). In any case putting the complete and saveclose back in causes a cartridge error on close. Naturally it works in the emulator.

Perhaps many eyes can help and perhaps the whole bunch can be sent to Garmin where they might have a serious debugger.

Regards,

Tom Birchmire

highlandfling.zip

Looks to me like the Colorado might be choking on the Wherigo.Command("SaveClose") command. They did just recently add this, so maybe it's not working correctly. Maybe you can just try setting the cartridge to complete, then doing just a save and let the person close it out them self.

I would try changing this:

cartHighlandFling18.MsgBoxCBFuncs.MsgBoxCB27 = function(action)
if action ~= nil then
-- #GroupDescription=Script --
-- #Comment=Script Comment --
cartHighlandFling18.Complete = true
Wherigo.Command("SaveClose")
end
end

to this:

cartHighlandFling18.MsgBoxCBFuncs.MsgBoxCB27 = function(action)
if action ~= nil then
-- #GroupDescription=Script --
-- #Comment=Script Comment --
cartHighlandFling18.Complete = true
cartHighlandFling18:RequestSync()
end
end

Then just leave the closing of the cartridge to the user.

This a copy of an off line email:

"I removed the save/close function from the cartridge and it saved correctly. Perhaps the fact that I'm running the previous version emulator pgm on the Colorado makes the save/close function crash as it probably was added to the latest Colorado software. We downgraded because the latest emulator was so unstable and in turn got another type of error. I went by this am(05/02/08) and ran through the game and it saved correctly (without an error). The major change was to leave the cartridge complete function and remove the save/close and to ask the player to save from the back/quit button menu. I'll check the log and save file for complete later this evening. "

Perhaps the save/close function only works with the latest version of the Colorado software?

Perhaps the save/close function only works with the latest version of the Colorado software?

I think it might just be the save command. I had report from others with a Colorado; they said the cartridge crashed at the end, which was where I was executing the save command.

They may have been running the beta Colorado OS, v 2.51. And speaking of the beta version, it's been in beta since April 7th--almost a month.

I had a catridge set up to stop a timer, display a couple of messages, end the cartridge and save the game and exit when your reach the final zone -- it died every time you hit the final zone. Found this thread and thought the crash I was seeing might have been related to the save and exit, but no bueno in my case, apparently.

I'm running 2.51 beta on a Colorado 300, with a Wherigo cartridge created on the Builder version 2.0.4927.3981.