Excellent Customer Service from Magellan

Danske

My eXplorist 500 that is 14 months old stopped receiving satellites, no satellites at all. Called Magellan customer service and the guy troubleshot over the phone for 10 minutes and decided I should send it in for service under warranty. Shipped it on a Monday and 15 days later received either a new or refurbished eXplorist 500 back. If it is a refurb the case, screen and all buttons are new along with a new rechargeable battery. Can't beat that for customer service.

Don't Rub it in. They have had my Explorist 600 for over three weeks. They haven't even touched it yet. I finally got one of the reps to admit they don't have parts for it. And their standard turnaround is 21 business days to get repaired, and 6 business days to get it out the door. So basically I have to wait 4 weeks and one day before they will "officially" tell me they can't fix it, then they will probably try to sell me a triton for $5 less than I can get online (which they have already tried to do).

Anyways you can tell if your unit is a refurb by looking around the screw in spot for the battery door cover. It will be branded or etched with a RF if it's a refurb.

Edited by sanramonhunter

My eXplorist 500 that is 14 months old stopped receiving satellites, no satellites at all. Called Magellan customer service and the guy troubleshot over the phone for 10 minutes and decided I should send it in for service under warranty.

So how long was your warranty? I thought Magellan warranties were one year.

I am actually very impressed. I called a week ago and said my Explorist 500 was having problems. I return home today to find a new Triton 400 sitting on my door step. I just barely sent back my other one. They said they would replace it but I didn't expect it to come so soon. (Hard to understand customer service there!!) Hmm if it works my faith in Magellan might be restored.

I got my 500LE RMA'd. Waited 2 weeks to the day and called in. They said they hadn't had a chance to touch it as they had no parts. I told them I did NOT want a Triton. They said they couldn't guarantee how long this might take before they find the parts necessary to fix it. They said they could replace it with a Triton. At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor (they put me through to a 2nd level person who was easy to understand. I explained my situation and he said that I had 3 choices, wait til they found parts, get my same untouched unit back or go with a Triton. After mentioning not wanting a triton a few more times he said he could upgrade my unit to a Triton 1500. I asked about my attachments that I already had car adapter home adapter and car mount. So he included a car charger, home charger and car mount all with free shipping and no upgrade fee.

I received an e-mail within 15 minutes showing the unit and accessories all free of charge. I should hopefully be getting the unit early this week.

I sent in my Explorist 500 on the 13th for repair. It had quit connecting to my computer several months ago. Without doing anything to it suddenly it started connecting again. Within a week it gives me an error message. "map error" and it would not turn on. I called Magellan they said they would send a Triton 400. It arrived yesterday.

I turned it on. Read the instructions as I learned to use it. Loaded caches onto it and went out and found one. About an hour later I turned it on and it locked up. It worked great for 3-4 hours. I called tech support and was told to change the batteries. Still locked up. I was told to remove the batteries for 24 hours and try again.....24 hours later it still didnt work! I am currently on hold with Tech support!

I had some great service from Garmin. I had an old Etrex Vista (original) that was well out of warranty and I broke it in Iraq. On a whim, I sent it to them with a note and two weeks later I received a brand new one in the mail. Great service all around.

I had some great service from Garmin. I had an old Etrex Vista (original) that was well out of warranty and I broke it in Iraq. On a whim, I sent it to them with a note and two weeks later I received a brand new one in the mail. Great service all around.

I have heard nothing but great reviews on Garmins. I am on hold right now with Magellan tech support. They said they could repair my one day old Triton 400 and get it back to me in 4-6 weeks! Im trying to get them to send me a new one now....not that I think it will work any better!

Edited by 3cd's