What application is best to use with Windows Vista?

chu baca

Start with EasyGPS and go from there.

Quick, free, easy to use and will put the caches and coords into your GPS.

Once you want to move on to have the cache pages, hints, etc. come back and search under "paperless caching". Then you can move up to GSAK which is very powerful but has a learning curve.

Once you want to move on to have the cache pages, hints, etc. come back and search under "paperless caching". Then you can move up to GSAK which is very powerful but has a learning curve.

I might be going that route...

I am using mapquest that came with my ventura. When I got MY NEW LAPTOP!!!! it had vista on it so I had to go to the garmin site and download a driver, fix, something, and it works fine now.

Oh, by the way I LOVE VISTA. But I think I am alone on that. So far it has worked fine for me. I got my last computer 11 years ago, windows 98. I upgraded to vista ultimate. I also got a nice video card and 4 gigs of ram. And an amd dual processor.

I don't know if it matters, that's what I have though and I can use the aero feature which is awesome! Yeah a lot of it is in the presentation but I like the razzel dazzel, plus it's easer to surf and navigate.

Okay, I got the GSAK looking the way I want...

How do i load it on 60csx?

It loaded fine but not the other things like clues, caches size, terrain...etc...

It loaded fine but not the other things like clues, caches size, terrain...etc...

You won't ever get all of things quite the way you expect. However, there are some tricks to getting some of that information on the unit. You will have to use the GSAK codes ad be creative.

The 60csx allows something like 15 characters in the name field so you can get the gc code there and some basic terrain, size info and more if you code it just right like (%code %terrain). Then put the hint in the description field but you are limited to 35 characters there (use %hint). Look through some of the forums over at the GSAK site for better details. You can also put a bit more in POI files but then you can't use the unit in geocaching mode.

it had vista on it so I had to go to the garmin site and download a driver, fix, something, and it works fine now.

This is a troubling theme. It seems almost every new accessory that I get and plug into my laptop (with vista OS) I have to download special drivers or what have you. What is the problem here? I don't see much advantage to vista, actually it's annoying and does not seem to be much of an improvement and isn't compatible with much. OK sorry off topic...

Thanks for the heads up on the driver issue for when my GPSr arrives!

If you use GSAK, instead of EasyGPS, to send the waypoints to your GPSr, you can get part of the name of the cache, and even part of the hint using the codes in the "Smart Name" feature. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name on my Vista HCx:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=10 %hint

Because you have an 'x' GPSr, you can use Garmin's POI Loader to send the caches to your GPSr as Points of Interest and those allow for more information. For the POIs, I use the same Waypoint code, but for the Cache Description, I use this code: %By %Hint %Code

That gives me the cache owner's name, the hint, and if there are enough characters left, the GC code.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that, although it was created a while ago, might be helpful.

Edit for typo

Edited by Miragee

If you use GSAK, instead of EasyGPS, to send the waypoints to your GPSr, you can get part of the name of the cache, and even part of the hint using the codes in the "Smart Name" feature. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name on my Vista HCx:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=10 %hint

Because you have an 'x' GPSr, you can use Garmin's POI Loader to send the caches to your GPSr as Points of Interest and those allow for more information. For the POIs, I use the same Waypoint code, but for the Cache Description, I use this code: %By %Hint %Code

That gives me the cache owner's name, the hint, and if there are enough characters left, the GC code.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that, although it was created a while ago, might be helpful.

Edit for typo

You guys are the best!!!!!!!!

Now if I could only figure out how to log the last time cache was found...

How do you word that? Want to make sure that last cache wasn't a DNF..

I always do the "Last 2 DNF" filter in GSAK to look for caches that have had two DNFs in a row. Sometimes I review them to see what circumstances occurred with the DNFs, other times I just delete all of those. If you want to know what the last four logs have been, you can use this code:

%last4

I always do the "Last 2 DNF" filter in GSAK to look for caches that have had two DNFs in a row. Sometimes I review them to see what circumstances occurred with the DNFs, other times I just delete all of those. If you want to know what the last four logs have been, you can use this code:

%last4

Okay. My last question...hopefully...how can i edit & save new info in send waypoints area without sending.?

I now have it set up %smart=12 %con in first area & have 2nd area setup as %hint..want it as %hint %last4 %type...i don't want to save and have duplicates of all my waypoints