Permission to Place

peajay84

I've only been enjoying my new sport/hobby a few weeks now but I think I'm ready to place my first cache.

According to the guidelines I need to get permission from the property owner or the appropriate public entity in order to place a cache.

I'd like to place a few caches in my hometown where there aren't any caches (there's only one in the entire county). There is a nice, newer hike/bike trail along the lake (operated by the Corps of Engineers).

Who do I need to speak with to get permission?

The Mayor? The City Council? The Corps of Engineers?

And for my current city of residence......

there are several nice, large city parks and a long hike/bike trail. There are already some caches placed (1 per park). Do I also need to get permission? Or since there are already caches placed around town by several different cachers, does that mean there is a blanket approval/permission? If I do need to get individual approval, how do I determine who to contact?

Thanks in advance!

In general, on private land - always get permission directly from the land owner, on public land - find out if there are any geocaching policies or restrictions and follow them closely.

Ask other local cachers or groups about local areas. Might even ask your local reviewer.

First off though, go and read the guidelines. Then go back and read them again and again until you are certain you fully understand them. Make sure your proposed hide fits nicely into all of the guidelines and you should have no problems.

I've only been enjoying my new sport/hobby a few weeks now but I think I'm ready to place my first cache.

According to the guidelines I need to get permission from the property owner or the appropriate public entity in order to place a cache.

I'd like to place a few caches in my hometown where there aren't any caches (there's only one in the entire county). There is a nice, newer hike/bike trail along the lake (operated by the Corps of Engineers).

Who do I need to speak with to get permission?

The Mayor? The City Council? The Corps of Engineers?

And for my current city of residence......

there are several nice, large city parks and a long hike/bike trail. There are already some caches placed (1 per park). Do I also need to get permission? Or since there are already caches placed around town by several different cachers, does that mean there is a blanket approval/permission? If I do need to get individual approval, how do I determine who to contact?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to place a cache in a city park there should be a "Parks Department" that you can contact. Call City Hall and ask them.

How do I find out who my local reviewer is?

BTW - there are hundreds of caches in and around Kearney - be careful not to place one too near another.

I want to focus more on the Harlan Lake area since that is where I grew up, where my folks still live and where there are no chaches currently placed.

Unless a multi in involved - the parks in Kearney aren't overrun with caches. Harmon covers an entire city block yet there is only 1 cache placed - and it's currently MIA.

...There is a nice, newer hike/bike trail along the lake (operated by the Corps of Engineers). Who do I need to speak with to get permission? The Mayor? The City Council? The Corps of Engineers?......... There are already some caches placed (1 per park).

In my area the USACOE has a permit system in place so check with the Corps Rangers. Their web site will tell you what project/district office to contact for that particular Corp project.

......Unless a multi in involved - the parks in Kearney aren't overrun with caches. Harmon covers an entire city block yet there is only 1 cache placed - and it's currently MIA.

Even though the size from city to city will vary > http://www.land4ever.com/block.htm < a city block is not all that large unless it is a double block. Figuring an average of 17-18 per mile, or 310' X 310'(to keep the math simple), that would make the hypotenuse (corner to corner) only 438ft and according to the Geocaching rule-of-thumb/guidelines caches must be 1/10th mile (528ft) apart so no other caches could be placed in this park unless the other cache is on one corner and your reviewer allows you a variance of over 100ft (if there are sidewalks and other cleared unhideable areas on the corners). This math is only an approx based on averaging plus a very dull pencil and your GPS will tell you how big your own city blocks are but I hope it gives you the general ideal of maybe why you are seeing only one per park.

In some cases, even though the dam is managed by the Corp, the land around it is owned by someone else. In this case it appears that the surrounding land is also managed by the Corp.

Here is the USACOE web site for Harlan County Lake.

Click the "How to Contact Us" link on the left for address and phone numbers.

The county assessor can provide clarity on who owns the land. Per the map

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/hc/Brochure/...nty-LakeMap.pdf

The ACOW does manage the parks but the map doesn't specify land ownership though the hunting zones do seem to indicate the ACOE does activly manage more lands than they typically would.

Corps of Engineers, call or stop by the project office, usually found near the dam if a man-made lake.

City park, see the manager of the parks and recreation department.

Be ready with information about caching, doesn't hurt to print the placing guidelines and take them. Scope out a few QUALITY caches nearby in case they want to see what one looks like or contains. Give them your GPSr and let them experience a find, if that is the case. Make sure they understand they have no responsibility for maintenance, that is yours. Provide the website address and your contact information to answer more questions. Somewhere, I saw a link to a video you could use, will return and post edit if I can find it.