An event to say happy retirement...

Just a quick post to say that we are orginising our first event for Sunday 18th May in the Malvern area. Not exactly sure which location but it should be lunch/afternoon in a watering hole (not one of the wells :) ) with a chance for people to cache before and after.

The main reason for the event and the timing is that we will have a special guest - a former local reviewer :) - so that we can thank him for all his efforts and wish him well in his future caching. It is also a chance for local cachers to meet up - we have been discussing this for some time with others but not got around to it. To save Deci the hassle of reviewing new caches we will probably not place any caches especially for the event. There are plenty around the area and the hills to walk too!

It would be good to gauge interest here and hopefully we can finalise the location and get the page published before the deadline,

Helen and Carolyn

I haven't noticed the 'former local reviewer' put his hand up to say he'll attend yet.

I wonder whether he will considering he's just dropped out of attending the Mega Event :D

Perhaps 'The Hornet' could ask him, seeing as they appear to be such good mates :)

P

As Lactodorum and The Hornet are virtually identical twins I doubt you'll notice the difference :)

We posted on here because we realised it was short notice and we did not have the coords finalised. Obviously it has to be fairly soon given the reason for the event and that weekend seemed free (apart from a little football match in London on Saturday which we were reminded about). Ecky is more than welcome to come (as is everyone else who can make it) but we initially thought to make sure that Lacto could make it.

Unfortunately H has been off work sick today but should sort out a venue tomorrow. Now we have gone from thinking noone will come to oh my god we need to get ourselves organised!

Expect an event page this week and updates here in the meantime,

Helen and Carolyn

edited cus H can't spell :lol:

Edited by T-girls

. Ecky is more than welcome to come (as is everyone else who can make it) but we initially thought to make sure that Lacto could make it.

Helen and Carolyn

....sorry Guys, a bit too far for a Saturday evening and Cryptic Souls Crew have sorted this little do out for me on the Thursday before and I may be a little tired and emotional :D:D;):lol::)

....sorry Guys, a bit too far for a Saturday evening and Cryptic Souls Crew have sorted this little do out for me on the Thursday before and I may be a little tired and emotional :D:D;):lol::)

Actually it's a Sunday afternoon :D but we understand. Since you have your bash that way we thought Lacto deserved one nearer to home too. Hopefully we can all meet up at the Mega Event!

Helen

Edited by T-girls

....sorry Guys, a bit too far for a Saturday evening and Cryptic Souls Crew have sorted this little do out for me on the Thursday before and I may be a little tired and emotional :):D:D:lol:;)

Actually it's a Sunday afternoon :D but we understand. Since you have your bash that way we thought Lacto deserved one nearer to home too. Hopefully we can all meet up at the Mega Event!

Helen

Looking forward to it all ready :):D:D

Lacto says he is very honoured to have an Event created in his honour but is sorry he will be unable to attend in person :mad: However he's asked me to go instead and drink any free pints that have been offered to him :P:)

Looking forward to seeing you there (no mention of the pub name here!!)

Actually while I type this it's been published! And after only 10 minutes; the service is still as good as ever :P

Just a thought, but does using such an old code mean that the cache queue-jumped somehow? :)

It's not what you know, it's who you know :P Actually it may be that events always go to the top of the reviewer's list? As for the old code, we have been saving it for a special occasion :mad:

Helen and Carolyn

Edited by T-girls

I generally deal with caches in the order that they are listed in the queue, unless I'm pushed for time or stressed out :mad: .When I'll leave those caches which involve more work to the end. But each one gets opened in turn and scanned first :P .

And NO the T Girls event wasn't the first submission to be reviewed when I opened the queue up, it popped up whilst I was clearing it out :) so no favoritism :):P . Mind you I'd break that rule if I knew either of a pair of certain gentlemen had a cache in the queue :P

And even after 23 months + of Reviewing I'm still surprised to read comments like

Actually while I type this it's been published! And after only 10 minutes; the service is still as good as ever biggrin.gif
:P

:P

No need to blush Deci... the rapid publication service you provide is appreciated.

Thanks to all that have responded on the event page. If those going to Ecky's do can buy him a drink or two from us we will buy some for Lacto from you :P

The Malverns look lovely outside my office window this afternoon... Wish I could get out and walk on them now! Let's hope the weather is as good in two weeks time,

Helen

We are hoping to be there even if its only for an hour or two, really want to come but heavy family comittments are making planning difficult at the moment. Will put a line on the web page when we know for sure.

We're sure it will be a great do ...........

L&H

Well, as I said on the cache page I had a really good time yesterday. Many thanks to everyone who attended but especially to Helen & Carolyn for organising it and to The Geckos (and Write & Mane) for the lift. Thanks also to the many people who bought me a beer, fortunately I lost count how many as the glasses just kept reappearing!!

Although I didn't manage to get away to do any caching I shall come back with Sam, the cache hound, to attempt them when it's a bit quieter.

Although it was supposedly a sad occasion (hah!) everyone seemed to enjoy it, I certainly did. One thing brought home to me yesterday was what a great crowd the UK caching community is and how privileged I was to be a reviewer/moderator for you all these past 5 years. Despite having to play the professional "bar steward" at times I think I have managed to make/stay friends with just about everyone here. At least I hope I have :D

I just can't imagine how it must be to have to hide your true identity as some reviewers in certain parts of the world need to do. I wonder why they get into that situation.

Apologies to Deceangi for the rather incoherent phone call demanding the two new caches get published, and thanks for doing them as we were on the phone. The goodwill (beer!) was getting to me at that point.

Here's hoping our new review team, whoever and whenever they are, can carry on the tradition of friendly interaction with you all. I'm sure they will. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for coming. making it such a fun event and to The Hornet for his presence :laughing:

Our email has been pinging continuously for the last couple of days; we hope you all enjoyed the event and the local caches.

We seem to remember some coordinates being posted for a pub in Dilwyn... is that going to be the next event?

Helen and Carolyn

Edited by T-girls
We seem to remember some coordinates being posted for a pub in Dilwyn... is that going to be the next event?

You mean 52°11.169'N, 2°51.351'W? That is certainly on my list of things to do and I hope to set something up once I've spoken to Andy, the landlord.

If the weather is dry there's no problem as the pub has a big garden but it's only a small pub and if it rains it could be a bit "cosy" inside. However there is a separate dining room which we could reserve if sufficient people came (and if it's not Sunday lunchtime!). Leave it with me.