Mountain bike mount ?

xxgg

I use a RAM mount for my 76CS and it works great.

I was looking into these but am kind of confused with all the options. What I would REALLY like, is a RAM mount for my Colorado and have the adjustable arm or swivel or whatever, but then have one pice that attached to my bike, and one piece that attaches in my car, that I can just swap the arm between to two. Have any of you used anything set-up like that?

I don't think these things are designed to be switched out. You would more than likely have a cradle on your bike and one in your car, and just move the unit from one to the other.

RAM components can be confusing. I don't like the looks of the extended arm they are showing on their photos. Looks like one endo would be guarnteed to kill a Colorado!

I've ordered a RAM holder for my Colorado which should be here in a day or two. I'm going to try and attach it directly to a rail mount on the handlebar.

But hey, we've hijacked the topic, which was about a 60CSx mount!

What I would REALLY like, is a RAM mount for my Colorado and have the adjustable arm or swivel or whatever, but then have one pice that attached to my bike, and one piece that attaches in my car, that I can just swap the arm between to two. Have any of you used anything set-up like that?

There are generally four parts to a simple RAM mount: the GPS cradle, a ball joint that mounts to the cradle, a ball joint that mounts to the vehicle, and a swivel arm that clamps to both ball joints. To quickly move the mount from one vehicle to another, simply purchase a second vehicle ball joint (one for the car and one for the bike). There are a variety of mounting options to fit virtually any application.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

There are generally four parts to a simple RAM mount: the GPS cradle, a ball joint that mounts to the cradle, a ball joint that mounts to the vehicle, and a swivel arm that clamps to both ball joints. To quickly move the mount from one vehicle to another, simply purchase a second vehicle ball joint (one for the car and one for the bike). There are a variety of mounting options to fit virtually any application.

Then there is this type of mounting system for bikes, where there is no swivel arm, giving a much lower profile...

RAM-handlebar-mount.jpg

Is it just me or do the RAM mounts always look overly bulky?

In my history, bulkier equals sturdier or functionier. (I know it's not a word but it sounded good:)

I REALLY want to be able to have some freedom to adjust the angle of the device if there is a glare, or to get the "just right" eye line placement, and I don't want my $600.00 flying down the trial or into the dash if I have to stop suddenly or turn sharply.

Redwoods, but will that bottom part swivel to be able to attach to the steering post? or does it have to go that way on the bars?

I REALLY want to be able to have some freedom to adjust the angle of the device if there is a glare, or to get the "just right" eye line placement, and I don't want my $600.00 flying down the trial or into the dash if I have to stop suddenly or turn sharply.

Redwoods, but will that bottom part swivel to be able to attach to the steering post? or does it have to go that way on the bars?

You can set that angle when you install it, so yes...if your stem is long enough, you can mount it there. But mounting on the handlebar allows you to alter the angle for the best visibility, which I don't think you can do with a stem mount.

I made mine using some 3/4 inch PVC plate, an old garmin clip, a couple of S/S fasteners and some velcro. It is bullet proof. I put a piece of the fabric part of the velcro on the under side of my 60CSx. I glued the hook part to the mount. The GPSr slots into the clip and the velcro holds it tightly in place. Have been using it for years and never lost the GPSr. It even took a ride on the car bike rack when I forgot to take off the GPSr. :lol:

I found the store bought one flimsy and was a pain to remove to put in car.

100_1521_edited-1.jpg

100_1522_edited-1.jpg

100_1523_edited-1.jpg

Edited by Plasma Boy

Question:

Do Garmin mount work same as belt clip that came with the 60CSx? Clip into that little round thing? Reason I am asking is because, that doesn't seem to be solid mount?

But the mount itself looks good.

Now... RAM mount looks a lot more secure and solid but the part that mount to the bar seems a lot thinner? Would this be the weak point?

Is RAM bike mount a plastic or some sort of metal?

The Garmin clip is the kind that you clip on your belt. The bottom plastic part broke off and the locking mechanism was removed. As I have said it is bullet proof. The spring is bolted to the mount and epoxied for good measure. I ride with this mount every day, year round, even in the winter. Because of the velcro, there is very little pressure on the Garmin clip

Edited by Plasma Boy

Question:

Do Garmin mount work same as belt clip that came with the 60CSx? Clip into that little round thing? Reason I am asking is because, that doesn't seem to be solid mount?

But the mount itself looks good.

Now... RAM mount looks a lot more secure and solid but the part that mount to the bar seems a lot thinner? Would this be the weak point?

Is RAM bike mount a plastic or some sort of metal?

No the mount that Garmin sells has a hole on one end that connects to the "bolt" that is attached to the 60csx. The other end then cups the bottom part of the 60csx. That cradle then snaps into the adapter connected to your handlebars. The cradle will also snap into the autoholder that garmin sells. I used it for awhile and never had any problems. I don't do any extreme riding anymore so I can't attest to how well it will work in real bumpy terrain. The most I jar my unit is when I'm hopping a curb.

Edited by sanramonhunter

Can someone please provide a picture/s of the garmin mount.

Image here

The Garmin and RAM mount are both plastic. RAM is sturdier and a bit more secure. Breaks, in my experience, occur on the arm between the two connection points.

Prone to crashes,

Rich

So in the end you would always buy RAM over Garmin ? or either is more than good enough ?

Well one downside to the RAM mounts, and guys that own correct me if I'm wrong, Is they have a tendency to chew up the rubber on the bottom of the 60csx. I've never owned, just read a few posts about that and seen a few pictures with the rubber worn off the bottom and the person stated it was from removing from the RAM mount. The Garmin mount didn't do that to mine. The RAM mount for my explorist seems to have a REALLY tight fit, so I'd imagine the one for the 60csx would be similar. The upside of this is that the unit is more secure.

Well one downside to the RAM mounts, and guys that own correct me if I'm wrong, Is they have a tendency to chew up the rubber on the bottom of the 60csx. I've never owned, just read a few posts about that and seen a few pictures with the rubber worn off the bottom and the person stated it was from removing from the RAM mount. The Garmin mount didn't do that to mine. The RAM mount for my explorist seems to have a REALLY tight fit, so I'd imagine the one for the 60csx would be similar. The upside of this is that the unit is more secure.

No damage to the bottom rubber if you remove top first or insert bottom first.

I use RAM mount for my car with 60CSx.

Yes, it is tight/stiff fit.

Edited by xxgg

Just wondering...

Can I attach 60 series cradle to one of those U-bolt mount? and just attach that to my bike?

The Garmin comes with a handlebar mount. For the RAM, I would use their diamond rail mount designed for bike handlebars. I think it is more secure and less prone to slippage than a U-bolt mount.

To edit my post... I was asking if I could use the cradle with the u-bolt without the arm.

Just wondering...

Can I attach 60 series cradle to one of those U-bolt mount? and just attach that to my bike?

The Garmin comes with a handlebar mount. For the RAM, I would use their diamond rail mount designed for bike handlebars. I think it is more secure and less prone to slippage than a U-bolt mount.

To edit my post... I was asking if I could use the cradle with the u-bolt without the arm.

Dunno, but you can use the rail mount without the arm.

Never mind, I don't think it's possible as all the pictures are showing with a ball.

Hmm.... after browsing a lot of RAM MOUNT items... I think want to get a mount base for camera too :)

REdwoods Mtn Biker. maybe you should get one aswell and shoot some videos and post on your website.

Edited by xxgg

Never mind, I don't think it's possible as all the pictures are showing with a ball.

Hmm.... after browsing a lot of RAM MOUNT items... I think want to get a mount base for camera too :)

REdwoods Mtn Biker. maybe you should get one aswell and shoot some videos and post on your website.

Really, the crashes are embarrassing enough without that!