Tranquility Geocoins

BlueMotmot

This will constitute my final post in this thread.

THE ORIGINAL SELLER who attempts to sell TRANQUILITY on eBay from this point forward will be reported as an intellectual property right violation.

Questions* can be directed to the law firm of:

Hutchinson, Cox, Coons, DuPriest, Orr & Sherlock, PC

John Cox

200 Forum Building

777 High Street

Eugene, Oregon 97401

(541) 686-9160

*not that they will talk to you about it.

~J

Edit: Corrected a misconception - my bad.

It looks like there's a lot of confusion over this statement. I don't think it references the reselling of any coin that you ever "Originally Bought" at retail. This means to me that any person who mints ant attempts to sell brand new coins(for the first time they are being sold) will be in trouble. Of course I'm not a laywer, but to understand this statement, one would need to know the legal definition of "THE ORIGINAL SELLER"

This will constitute my final post in this thread.

THE ORIGINAL SELLER who attempts to sell TRANQUILITY on eBay from this point forward will be reported as an intellectual property right violation.

Questions* can be directed to the law firm of:

Hutchinson, Cox, Coons, DuPriest, Orr & Sherlock, PC

John Cox

200 Forum Building

777 High Street

Eugene, Oregon 97401

(541) 686-9160

*not that they will talk to you about it.

~J

Edit: Corrected a misconception - my bad.

You are at best delusional about this.

In essence you are trying to assert (long after the initial sale I might add) that you sold a license to keep the merchandise and not the merchandise itself. Microsoft does this with their OS, however, a coin is not intellectual property, it is a material item and you did not require the buyer agree to any disclaimers when the coins were purchased restricting the coin, it's ownership or it's saleability. In short you have no legal bearing or as we say in Idaho "a leg to stand on".

Not sure what you intended to accomplish with a statement like this but now that you have played your cards I can't see myself buying any coins from your store or from you again. It's one thing to control an artistic copyright but you do not control the market place or people's private property.

No, what he's saying is that after he delivers the dies to Paula, she cannot mint and sell coins with them.

Does anyone else find it ironic that so much unrest has been associated with a coin titled "Tranquility?"

Maybe we should refer to them as "Hostilities" or "Turbulences?" That might be a fun cointest...

Oh, goodness, that is hiliarious! I love the idea of a parody coin. I'm going to have to stay up all night when I get off watch and see what I can come up with. : )

i have some ideas. :( i think hostilities is a good name for it. could base it on the chinese zodiac.

Does anyone else find it ironic that so much unrest has been associated with a coin titled "Tranquility?"

Maybe we should refer to them as "Hostilities" or "Turbulences?" That might be a fun cointest...

Oh, goodness, that is hiliarious! I love the idea of a parody coin. I'm going to have to stay up all night when I get off watch and see what I can come up with. : )

i have some ideas. :( i think hostilities is a good name for it. could base it on the chinese zodiac.

the Tranq has all those peaceful animals on it? How about a parody covered in war machines, and the lovely earth obscures by bomb craters and mushroom clouds...no copyright on these ideasm they are public domain for any of you to use.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

And may I reiterate

We would like to keep this thread open at the OP’s wishes. There is a lot of history in this thread about these geocoins that collectors need, or may want to know. In order to do so, please keep the discussion focused on what was asked in the original post. Anything else should be discussed privately. If this doesn’t happen, we will have no choice but to lock the thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

Will all pink elephants please exit stage left.

it’s late at night and i am sitting here thinking about the tranquility geocoin and recent discussions.

when i brought up plagiarism in the thread about the creation of the web site dedicated to the coin, i was pretty much told to shut up because what i was saying was interfering with others’ enjoyment of the coin. and after all the thread was about the web site.

ok, so i am moving my thoughts out of that thread.

when i bought my first several tranquility geocoins, in addition to the lovely design, i was really impressed with the words on the back. it wasn’t for quite a while until i got the idea to google the words to see if they were a quote of some sort.

i was really surprised to find they were a direct quote from the writings of anne frank. there is no attribution on the coin, no quote marks, so it appears the words came from the designer.

the designer has mentioned several times on the forum how the design is all hers and she owns the copyright — and she fiercely protects that.

but she is strangely quiet about the fact that the words on the back are not hers, but those of anne frank. in essence she is not the sole creator of the coin.

i don’t know if people simple don’t know about the author, a 15-year-old Jewish girl who was killed during the Holocaust, or if they simply don’t care. but i think at the very least the designer should at least acknowledge the origin of the words, no matter how uncomfortable it makes her.

in any discussion about the tranquility, whether here on the forum or on the web site dedicated to all things tranquility, honesty demands the truth be known about the words.

it may not be pretty, but the words were stolen.

it’s like the pink elephant in the room. don’t talk about plagiarism lara, because that is stirring up trouble. and don’t contribute to any tranquility conversation because you have had to sell your collection twice — as if i didn’t have a right to an opinion because i had to sell some of my tranquilities. maybe it is time to talk about those elephants in a civilized manner.

i am going to sell all of mine, not keep a couple, not keep even one. i feel that strongly about plagiarism and intellectual property rights. i have been quite vocal about the subject before. now it is time to live up to my convictions.

i am not trying to stir up trouble, just trying to get acknowledgment for the girl whose voice was silenced as a teenager. by ignoring the original author of the words, we are trying to silence anne frank all over again.

“ The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.”

Anne Frank, 1929-1945

RedShoesGirl, thank you for bringing this up!

As most others I have never thought about the words on the coin, just enjoyed its beauty.

Being German I know about Anne Frank, her diary and what happened to her. Somehow her fate fits the coin, when I think about it for a while. In my oppinion it would even improve the perception of the TQs when the source of the words is mentioned. I'd recommend putting it on the website!

However it would have been nice to have known that right from the beginning.

For the record, on one of the threads re: the original design, the quote was credited. The source was never a secret, and was discussed several times throughout the coins releases. Its a lovely quote indeed, and reflects why many enjoy caching and nature itself. In fact, its SUCH a well known quote, I pretty much assume anyone would know its source. I think when anyone does a coin where a quote is used, its meant with respect, as this was indeed. But, the source was disclosed long ago, and even used as a question for a giveaway or two that I know of.

For the record, on one of the threads re: the original design, the quote was credited. The source was never a secret, and was discussed several times throughout the coins releases. Its a lovely quote indeed, and reflects why many enjoy caching and nature itself. In fact, its SUCH a well known quote, I pretty much assume anyone would know its source. I think when anyone does a coin where a quote is used, its meant with respect, as this was indeed. But, the source was disclosed long ago, and even used as a question for a giveaway or two that I know of.

thank you. since many or rather i should say most of us were not around for the initial release of the coin it is good to know the source was discussed. but discussing the source does not mitigate the fact that the source is not credited on the coin itself. as a pro photographer and writer, i find this to be disturbing. it still means the design is not wholly original and even now that should be acknowledged. i think you would agree on that point.

but lest i be accused of beating a dead horse i won't belabor the point. it has been made.

discussing the use of others' work like a photo or painting in a design of a coin probably belongs in another thread.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Many thanks for Jim, Paulo, southpawaz and others for their input. All very useful.

So I think the updated list would be as follows:

ORIGINAL MINTING (6 versions) (Sept 7 2007):

Tranquility Geocoin "Light Gold" Edition:: Enamels: pink(t) / light green(t) / orange(t) / light blue(t); Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "Light Rhodium" Edition:: Enamels: pink(t) / light green(t) / orange(t) / light blue(t); Metals: Rhodium

Tranquility Geocoin "Dark Gold" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / red(t) / yellow (t) / blue(t); Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "Dark Rhodium" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / red(t) / yellow (t) / blue(t); Metals: Rhodium

Tranquility Geocoin "Antique Nickel and Gold two tone" (LE) Edition:: Enamals: no enamel; Metals: Gold (raised) on Nickel

Tranquility Geocoin "Antique Copper Artist Edition" Edition:: Enamals: no enamel; Metals: Antique Copper (30 only minted)

FIRST REMINT (Oct 1 2007):

Tranquility Geocoin "Antique Gold" Edition:: Enamals: no enamel; Metals: Antique Gold (75 total)

Tranquility Geocoin "Dark Gold" Edition - assume remint of original "Dark Gold: Edition

Tranquility Geocoin "Two Toned Nickel" - need more details on this one

Tranquility Geocoin "Gold" Edition - not sure if this is just a double up of the "Antique Gold"

SECOND REMINT (Oct 23 2007):6 New Limited Editions

Tranquility Geocoin "Antique Nickel LE" Edition:: Enamels: no enamel; Metals: Antique Nickel

Tranquility Geocoin "Blue Is My World" Edition:: Enamels: light blue(t) / dark blue / deep blue (t) / deep blue (t); Metals: Gold?

Tranquility Geocoin "2-Tone Copper on Nickel" Edition:: Enamels: no enamel; Metals: Copper (raised) on Nickel

Tranquility Geocoin "2-Tone Nickel on Copper" Edition:: Enamels: no enamel; Metals: Nickel (raised) on Copper

Tranquility Geocoin "Red Passion" Edition:: Enamels: red(t) / purple(t) / red(t) / red(t); Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "2-Tone Gold on Black Nickel Luxury Edition" Edition:: Enamals: no enamel; Metals: Gold (raised) on Black Nickel

LATER MINTINGS:

Tranquility Geocoin "Black Widow" Edition:: details unknown

Tranquility Geocoin "USA Nickel" Edition:: Enamels: red(t) / light blue / deep blue / none; Metals: Nickel

Tranquility Geocoin "USA Gold" Edition:: Enamels: red(t) / light blue / deep blue / none; Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "Antique Bronze" Edition:: details unknown (Mint Error, 25 total)

Tranquility Geocoin "Portugal Gold" Edition:: Enamels: red(t) / green(t) / red(t) / green(t); Metals: Gold (25 total)

Tranquility Geocoin "Portugal Black Nickel" Edition:: Enamels: red(t) / green(t) / red(t) / green(t); Metals: Black Nickel (75 total)

Tranquility Geocoin "Green Giant" Edition:: Enamels: bright green(t) / light green(t) / dark green(t) / bright green(t); Metals: unknown

Tranquility Geocoin "Mardi Gras" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / green(t) / orange(t) / purple(t); Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "Purple Haze" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / lilac(t) / purple(t) / lilac(t); Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "German Nickel" Edition:: Enamals: black / red(t) / yellow(t) / black; Metals: Nickel

Tranquility Geocoin "German Gold" Edition:: Enamals: black / red(t) / yellow(t) / black; Metals: Gold

Tranquility Geocoin "German Black Forest" Edition:: Enamals: black / red(t) / yellow(t) / black; Metals: Black Nickel (Mint Error, 25 total)

Tranquility Geocoin "XXXXXX" aka "PINK" Edition:: Enamels: cardinal / pink(t) / pink(t) / cardinal; Metals: Nickel

# - version name removed so as to avoid undue rush of emails to those involved

Tranquility Geocoin "USA" Edition:: Enamals: red(t) / white / blue / none; Metals: Nickel

# - this is different to the "USA Nickel" Edition as it contains a white enamel, and only one part is a blue enamel

Notes on "Spook" Editions:

"Emerald" Edition - not the correct name, it is the "Green Giant" Edition

"Black Onyx" Edition - does not exist, maybe it is actually "Black Widow" - could someone please confirm if "Black Widow" Edition is no enamels on gold (raised) and black nickel

"Light" Two Tone Edition - does not exist

Quick Edit to add that maybe if people send me one of each I can then ensure all details are correct and get good photos of them all... he says hopefully... B)

geocoincollection.com now has all the tranquilities listed and i am working on getting the photos current.

there is one edition that is misnamed, the "light" two-tone is really the gold over nickel.

so to make your records correct you should probably make that change on your lists.

37 editions are confirmed.

http://www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade...ser=0&type=

rsg keeper of the list

OK - trying to sort out one of these coins as to which edition it is.

This particular Tranquility is 2 Tone shiny gold (raised) and shiny nickel (recessed). No enamels and no epoxy.

Historically I had called this the 2 Tone Antique Nickel/Gold edition. BUT... my issue is that the Nickel is to darn shiny to be ever called Antique Nickel - it is really shiny.

Is there another edition of Tranquility it could be?

Is it the edition that was call "Light Gold" on the now disappeared Tranquility Geocoin website?

Thanks for any help.

This particular Tranquility is 2 Tone shiny gold (raised) and shiny nickel (recessed). No enamels and no epoxy.

Historically I had called this the 2 Tone Antique Nickel/Gold edition. BUT... my issue is that the Nickel is to darn shiny to be ever called Antique Nickel - it is really shiny.

Is it the edition that was call "Light Gold" on the now disappeared Tranquility Geocoin website?

Thanks for any help.

the "light" gold was the one with the lighter enamels, made with gold or rhodium metal. they were part of the original tranquility bunch and were never reminted. there was also the "dark" with dark enamels also in gold or rhodium.

>>ORIGINAL MINTING (6 versions) (Sept 7 2007):

•  "Light  — Gold" Edition:: Enamels: pink(t) / light green(t) / peach (orange) (t) / light blue(t); Metals: Gold

•  "Light  — Rhodium" Edition:: Enamels: pink(t) / light green(t) / peach (orange) (t) / light blue(t); Metals: Rhodium

•  "Dark — Gold" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / red(t) / peach (orange) (t) / blue(t); Metals: Gold

•  "Dark — Rhodium" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / red(t) / peach (orange) (t) / blue(t); Metals: Rhodium

•  "Antique Nickel and Gold two tone" (LE) Edition:: Enamels: no enamel; Metals: Gold (raised) on Nickel. This is definitely NOT antique nickel but shiny nickel, can be referred to as Light two-toned.<<

the two-tone shiny gold-shiny nickel is often referred to as antique nickel. but there never was an antique nickel and shiny gold made.

Thanks for any help.

the "light" gold was the one with the lighter enamels, made with gold or rhodium metal. they were part of the original tranquility bunch and were never reminted. there was also the "dark" with dark enamels also in gold or rhodium.

>>ORIGINAL MINTING (6 versions) (Sept 7 2007):

•  "Light  — Gold" Edition:: Enamels: pink(t) / light green(t) / peach (orange) (t) / light blue(t); Metals: Gold

•  "Light  — Rhodium" Edition:: Enamels: pink(t) / light green(t) / peach (orange) (t) / light blue(t); Metals: Rhodium

•  "Dark — Gold" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / red(t) / peach (orange) (t) / blue(t); Metals: Gold

•  "Dark — Rhodium" Edition:: Enamels: purple(t) / red(t) / peach (orange) (t) / blue(t); Metals: Rhodium

•  "Antique Nickel and Gold two tone" (LE) Edition:: Enamels: no enamel; Metals: Gold (raised) on Nickel. This is definitely NOT antique nickel but shiny nickel, can be referred to as Light two-toned.<<

the two-tone shiny gold-shiny nickel is often referred to as antique nickel. but there never was an antique nickel and shiny gold made.

Thanks Lara - I should have read my early posts more carefully LOL