Tranquility Geocoins

BlueMotmot

I personally still have about 12,000-13,000 unactivated coins in my attic and a bunch of the older versions of Tranquility Geocoins.

If you happen to find an Antique Bronze and/or a Portugal gold in your attic, I would love to acquire them. They are the only versions I still need to complete my set of all 38 versions of the beautiful Tranquility geocoin.

~Karen

Nope, none of those.

Any Green giants?

ILYK

I personally still have about 12,000-13,000 unactivated coins in my attic and a bunch of the older versions of Tranquility Geocoins.

If you happen to find an Antique Bronze and/or a Portugal gold in your attic, I would love to acquire them. They are the only versions I still need to complete my set of all 38 versions of the beautiful Tranquility geocoin.

~Karen

Nope, none of those.

Ohh the Portuguese one (s).. so many after it :rolleyes:

I only have these ones:

Tranquility Geocoin Antique Nickel

Tranquility Geocoin Black Nickel and Gold

I designed the art for the coin, and the icon.

I do all my icons, along with the art - usually icons are inspired by the original art unless it wouldn't work in that small a size. The Tranq needed something with the same theme, but the coin reduced just wouldnt work out. =)

Thanks Paula, I've added that info in our "museum" :-)

Antonio

So were these reminted? There seems to be a large number surfacing when I was told these were totally sold out?

No they have not been re-minted. I personally still have about 12,000-13,000 unactivated coins in my attic and a bunch of the older versions of Tranquility Geocoins.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot. Was a simple question since when I asked you over a year ago did you have any tranquility coins for sale or trade you stated you had gotten rid of them all. ;)

Didn't mean to derail this thread... my apologizes.

I've been politely asked to have this thread closed. The tranquilities are one of my favorite geocoins, and I'd like to have this thread stay open for this reason. Hopefully, the tension has died down for now.

I've sent you a lengthy email - perhaps after reading it you might reconsider.

~J

So were these reminted? There seems to be a large number surfacing when I was told these were totally sold out?

No they have not been re-minted. I personally still have about 12,000-13,000 unactivated coins in my attic and a bunch of the older versions of Tranquility Geocoins.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot. Was a simple question since when I asked you over a year ago did you have any tranquility coins for sale or trade you stated you had gotten rid of them all. ;)

These are all from my personal collection which I am liquidating on ebay. I am only going to keep the coins I currently have out traveling and a handful of special trades and mystery coins.....everything else will go.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot. Was a simple question since when I asked you over a year ago did you have any tranquility coins for sale or trade you stated you had gotten rid of them all. :)

These are all from my personal collection which I am liquidating on ebay. I am only going to keep the coins I currently have out traveling and a handful of special trades and mystery coins.....everything else will go.

WOW!!! Castle Man!!! I just saw that!!! You still have 12,000 - 13,000 unactivated coins in you attic????

That easily makes your attic a geocoin bank or a geocoin safe, and you a geobanker! :)

Hmm... with all these coins.... the first thing that passed from my mind was the famous coin bath Scrooge McDuck used to have! when I was reading the stories and the magazines with that... Oh.... it was a dream!

My friend you can do that!

Even my real coin collection is much much smaller in numbers!!! WOW!!! I wish I could see them! :D

from wikipedia :

PROVENANCE - from the French provenir, "to come from", means the origin, or the source of something, or the history of the ownership or location of an object. The term was originally mostly used for works of art, but is now used in similar senses in a wide range of fields ... This will typically be accomplished by tracing the whole history of the object up to the present. Comparative techniques, expert opinions, and the results of various kinds of scientific tests may also be used to these ends, but establishing provenance is essentially a matter of documentation ... The quality of provenance of an important work of art can make a considerable difference to its selling price in the market ...

POPULATION REPORT - a census of all coins ... revealing the incidence of each date, mint mark, and reported variety of particular coins, as well as prominent feature designations ... Analysis of this report ... has allowed numismatic professionals to estimate the rarity of specific coins, and over time ... revealed some coins once thought rare to be remarkably common, whereas others thought more common have shown to be likely few in number. The population reports are followed closely by numismatic professionals ...

From U.S. Copyright Office:

USC Title 17 Circular 92 Chapter 1

§ 102. Subject matter of copyright: In general

(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

(1) literary works;

(2) musical works, including any accompanying words;

(3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;

(4) pantomimes and choreographic works;

(5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;

§ 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works

Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

USC Title 17 Circular 92 Chapter 2

§ 202. Ownership of copyright as distinct from ownership of material object

Ownership of a copyright, or of any of the exclusive rights under a copyright, is distinct from ownership of any material object in which the work is embodied. Transfer of ownership of any material object, including the copy or phonorecord in which the work is first fixed, does not of itself convey any rights in the copyrighted work embodied in the object; nor, in the absence of an agreement, does transfer of ownership of a copyright or of any exclusive rights under a copyright convey property rights in any material object.

USC Title 17 Circular 92 Chapter 5

§ 501. Infringement of copyright

(a) Anyone who violates any of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner as provided by sections 106 through 122 or of the author as provided in section 106A(a), or who imports copies or phonorecords into the United States in violation of section 602, is an infringer of the copyright or right of the author, as the case may be. For purposes of this chapter (other than section 506), any reference to copyright shall be deemed to include the rights conferred by section 106A(a). As used in this subsection, the term “anyone” includes any State, any instrumentality of a State, and any officer or employee of a State or instrumentality of a State acting in his or her official capacity. Any State, and any such instrumentality, officer, or employee, shall be subject to the provisions of this title in the same manner and to the same extent as any nongovernmental entity.

( b ) The legal or beneficial owner of an exclusive right under a copyright is entitled, subject to the requirements of section 411, to institute an action for any infringement of that particular right committed while he or she is the owner of it.

§ 504. Remedies for infringement: Damages and profits

(a) In General. — Except as otherwise provided by this title, an infringer of copyright is liable for either —

(1) the copyright owner's actual damages and any additional profits of the infringer, as provided by subsection ( b ); or

(2) statutory damages, as provided by subsection ( c ).

( b ) Actual Damages and Profits. — The copyright owner is entitled to recover the actual damages suffered by him or her as a result of the infringement, and any profits of the infringer that are attributable to the infringement and are not taken into account in computing the actual damages. In establishing the infringer's profits, the copyright owner is required to present proof only of the infringer's gross revenue, and the infringer is required to prove his or her deductible expenses and the elements of profit attributable to factors other than the copyrighted work.

( c ) Statutory Damages. —

(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work, for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just. For the purposes of this subsection, all the parts of a compilation or derivative work constitute one work.

(2) In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000. In a case where the infringer sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that such infringer was not aware and had no reason to believe that his or her acts constituted an infringement of copyright, the court in its discretion may reduce the award of statutory damages to a sum of not less than $200. The court shall remit statutory damages in any case where an infringer believed and had reasonable grounds for believing that his or her use of the copyrighted work was a fair use under section 107, if the infringer was: (i) an employee or agent of a nonprofit educational institution, library, or archives acting within the scope of his or her employment who, or such institution, library, or archives itself, which infringed by reproducing the work in copies or phonorecords; or (ii) a public broadcasting entity which or a person who, as a regular part of the nonprofit activities of a public broadcasting entity (as defined in subsection (g) of section 118) infringed by performing a published nondramatic literary work or by reproducing a transmission program embodying a performance of such a work.

(3) (A) In a case of infringement, it shall be a rebuttable presumption that the infringement was committed willfully for purposes of determining relief if the violator, or a person acting in concert with the violator, knowingly provided or knowingly caused to be provided materially false contact information to a domain name registrar, domain name registry, or other domain name registration authority in registering, maintaining, or renewing a domain name used in connection with the infringement.

( B ) Nothing in this paragraph limits what may be considered willful infringement under this subsection.

( C ) For purposes of this paragraph, the term “domain name” has the meaning given that term in section 45 of the Act entitled “An Act to provide for the registration and protection of trademarks used in commerce, to carry out the provisions of certain international conventions, and for other purposes” approved July 5, 1946 (commonly referred to as the “Trademark Act of 1946”; 15 U.S.C. 1127).

(d) Additional Damages in Certain Cases. — In any case in which the court finds that a defendant proprietor of an establishment who claims as a defense that its activities were exempt under section 110(5) did not have reasonable grounds to believe that its use of a copyrighted work was exempt under such section, the plaintiff shall be entitled to, in addition to any award of damages under this section, an additional award of two times the amount of the license fee that the proprietor of the establishment concerned should have paid the plaintiff for such use during the preceding period of up to 3 years.

§ 505. Remedies for infringement: Costs and attorney's fees

In any civil action under this title, the court in its discretion may allow the recovery of full costs by or against any party other than the United States or an officer thereof. Except as otherwise provided by this title, the court may also award a reasonable attorney's fee to the prevailing party as part of the costs.

§ 506. Criminal offenses

(a) Criminal Infringement. —

(1) In general. — Any person who willfully infringes a copyright shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, if the infringement was committed —

(A) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain;

( B ) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000; or

( C ) by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution.

(2) Evidence. — For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement of a copyright.

(3) Definition. — In this subsection, the term “work being prepared for commercial distribution” means —

(A) a computer program, a musical work, a motion picture or other audiovisual work, or a sound recording, if, at the time of unauthorized distribution —

(i) the copyright owner has a reasonable expectation of commercial distribution; and

(ii) the copies or phonorecords of the work have not been commercially distributed; or

( B ) a motion picture, if, at the time of unauthorized distribution, the motion picture —

(i) has been made available for viewing in a motion picture exhibition facility; and

(ii) has not been made available in copies for sale to the general public in the United States in a format intended to permit viewing outside a motion picture exhibition facility.

( b )( b ) Forfeiture, Destruction, and Restitution.—Forfeiture, destruction, and restitution relating to this section shall be subject to section 2323 of title 18, to the extent provided in that section, in addition to any other similar remedies provided by law.

For some reason, Castleman objects to this post and asked for the list to be removed??

No, no objection, just some of the versions were made for individuals that asked for them and the last time a list was posted they were contacted by multiple people and bombarded with trade requests.

I feel otherwise, the EXACT numbers and different variations is truly a guarded secret, and will probably take a subpoena to uncover and reveal.

~J

I don't see any reason to close this thread, it holds a lot of history about the Tranquility coins, and there's no reason to shut it down.

The information contained in this thread can be found at any time by clicking here and typing Tranquility in the box.

~J

that shows all the threads in which the tranquility was mentioned. why should someone sort through 5 pages of threads to find a tidbit of information that is probably in this one thread.

bluemotmot has said she does not want this thread closed. so why don't we leave it at that.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot. Was a simple question since when I asked you over a year ago did you have any tranquility coins for sale or trade you stated you had gotten rid of them all. :)

WOW!!! Castle Man!!! I just saw that!!! You still have 12,000 - 13,000 unactivated coins in you attic????

That easily makes your attic a geocoin bank or a geocoin safe, and you a geobanker! :)

Hmm... with all these coins.... the first thing that passed from my mind was the famous coin bath Scrooge McDuck used to have! when I was reading the stories and the magazines with that... Oh.... it was a dream!

My friend you can do that!

Even my real coin collection is much much smaller in numbers!!! WOW!!! I wish I could see them! :D

To clear confusion (please no more email requests) I only have 3 Tranquility coins left in my personal collection of coins. The 12,000 is other geocoins from around the world and almost every maker.....not Tranquility coins. Those are done and have been done for over a year. None have been re-minted and they won't be.

Let me see if I can sum this up:

Castle Man posted that he has Tranquilities to sell. Cinema Boxers posted that Castle Man promised her the dies for the Tranquility, but then apparently changed his mind over fears that she would mint more. At the same time, there was suspicion that he had minted more coins (the coins he has for sale). This is complicated by the matter that there is no actual solid information about the numbers of editions minted (or the numbers of individual runs of those editions). However, Castle Man has since posted that the Tranquilities he's been selling are from the original runs and are not, in fact, remints.

Why this is important (if you're new here and have no idea what the fuss is about): in the eyes of many collectors, the desirability of a coin is proportional to its rarity. Collectors like to know how many of what kind (it also helps to prevent paying big bucks for something that's common, and encourages people to spend more on stuff that is legitimately rare). And it is extremely frowned upon to mint more of something that one has said will not be reminted (which is the meaning of the title "Limited Edition" -- it means it won't be reminted). So that's why people were getting techy about the possibility of Tranquility remints by anyone (because Tranquilities are among the most sought-after geocoins out there).

Is that about right?

POPULATION REPORT - a census of all coins...

From U.S. Copyright Office:...

are these posts a request for total tranquility mint production numbers? :) if so, it would seem like a reasonable request. i'm sure there are ways of determining exact production numbers since there weren't that many produced.

on a side note...the problem i see with geocoins is that they are being regarded by many as a strictly "numismatic proper" or a currency category, when they really fall into the "numismatic" sub-category of "exonumia", regarding things SIMILAR to coin currency but not currency, such as tokens, medallions, badges, and tags, etc. wikipedia further lists geocoins in the sub-sub-category of "Play-Game money / Arcade Amusement / Novelty". other items in the wikipedia sub-sub-categories of "exonumia" are: bus tokens, dog license tags, food stamps, casino chips, telephone cards! so the point i'm trying to make is that there is no way on earth to know how many dog license tags were made in 1966, or the exact number of 2003 acme telephone cards for that matter...simply impossible! the fact that we MAY be able to determine the number of tranquility geocoins is remarkable in itself, but the bottom line regarding novelty items should be...AGAIN...collect geocoins because you like them, not because you think they are "XXXXXXX Limited Editions". eventually, they will ALL BE LIMITED to the final production number made...whatever it may be!

if you MUST have it, and it is being auctioned for $100 dollars or $500 dollars or $5 dollars, and you can afford it...then BUY IT...because you like it. don't get stuck on the minting numbers or "claims" of rarity. this should not be your determining factor, because these claims may be false. remember, this game is unregulated, and there are no rules, and if you think otherwise, you are sure to lose! just my two cent bus tokens worth. peace. :)

for wikipedia reference:

Exonumia

the tranquility craze is one of the reasons i never collected them.. way too many want them,, way too many crave them... kinda like tring to get all of tsuns coins.. way to hard. i have 1 tranq. and it was gifited to me by someone special here during a trade.. anyway.. i think theres been too much fuss about this coin.. i know everyone loves them but common ppl lets be realistic here,, 38 versions!!! probably only 1-2 maybe 3 whole ppl know how many were made and its gotts be in the thousands of coins alltogeather. i just think theres been to much drama over one coin here.. just my opinion.

the tranquility craze is one of the reasons i never collected them.. way too many want them,, way too many crave them... kinda like tring to get all of tsuns coins.. way to hard. i have 1 tranq. and it was gifited to me by someone special here during a trade.. anyway.. i think theres been too much fuss about this coin.. i know everyone loves them but common ppl lets be realistic here,, 38 versions!!! probably only 1-2 maybe 3 whole ppl know how many were made and its gotts be in the thousands of coins alltogeather. i just think theres been to much drama over one coin here.. just my opinion.

Yes, it is a bit annoying when people bring back a design over and over in different colors and metals just to make money.

Yes, it is a bit annoying when people bring back a design over and over in different colors and metals just to make money.

Absolutely agree with that statement!

~J

and the problem with this is ...?

it is the capitalist system. supply and demand. if enough people want all the versions of tengwars, what is the problem with several different colour/size versions? and tsun's kokopellis. or earth turtles? and compass roses!

in the long run, it simply doesn't matter how many versions were made.

what is it about the tranquility that causes such animosity? DJ said it best "i just think there's been to much drama over one coin here.. just my opinion."

except for mystery coins and strictly personals that are never meant to be sold, coin designers/makers are in it for the money. there is no other reason to go through the hassle of making a coin. no one is doing this for altruistic reasons. if there was no profit then there would be no makers who use coins to make money. it may not be much, but little bits here and there add up. hopefully the maker of a coin sells enough to pay for the initial cost of the coin.

and all that is ok. i wanted all the versions of the tranquility. there was nothing wrong with that and i spent a lot of time find them and saving up enough money to buy one at a time, or trade. it was fun! and if a new colour came out in the meantime, well i guess i had to find that one too. it was still fun. ;)

why people want all versions of a coin is up to them and it is not up to anyone else to denigrate either the manufacturer of said coins or anyone who wants to have them.

it is the nature of the game.

oh, my latest "versions" compulsion was buffalo wings from 2006 and a few from the other years. now, those are a lot less expensive to collect than tranquilities! ;)

and i was lucky enough to find multiples of a version, so i could send one off as a gift to someone else who wanted one.

i have gifted tranqs and have been the recipient of such a dear gift.

isn't that the fun part of it all?

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Unbelieveable, there if a Blue is My World/Gold selling for $255 now on the e place.

so somebody, or several somebodies really wanted this coin and some of the others. like i said, it is all part of the game. i have not seen one of these TQs go this high.

now, when y'all get these in the mail, you have to share your good fortune!

i found it interesting to see that, several coins that created such a stir when they came out and sold for 3-4 times more than their original value were not even getting a low bid. just goes to show, if you wait long enough for a coin you want, it will come around. like my rare buffalo wings! LOL.

congrats to all the winners of the tranqs.

lara

This from the man who owns 24 different versions of Tengwar and is ernestly seeking the remaining 2 ;)

In answer to your points, look at it this way; All Tengwar collectors can go to Scavok's website and see the names of all the versions and how many of each have been minted. They can read the Tengwar thread on this forum and find out which of those versions were minted a 2nd time. Tranquility collectors don't have that luxury because their vendor has not released that information. Add to this the fact that more Tranqs have been minted than any other geocoin. Add to this that the Tranq is one of the most expensive coins on ebay. Add to this that the vendor had previously stated to at least one collector that he had no more tranqs and now (12 months later) lists a bunch on ebay (with NEW in the title). And you wonder what all the fuss is about ? The tranq screams FUSS. It screams CONTROVERSY. Heck, the Tranquility is NOTORIOUS !!!

In a perfect world we would all be as tranquil as the coin encourages us to be. Unfortunately we live in the real world where we have to poke the gorilla with a stick in order to see how many bananas he is sitting on.

Edited by haysonics
..Add to this the fact that more Tranqs have been minted than any other geocoin.

supply and demand, read my reply above. why is this a problem? it IS one of the most beautiful geocoins out there. so far nothing else has come close. it's like owning a mercedes. it is gorgeous and holds it value.

Add to this that the Tranq is one of the most expensive coins on ebay.

who creates those prices? not the seller. it is the buyers that create the prices. if no one wanted them, they would sell for $9.99

again, why is this an issue?

do you have a problem with someone who buys a bunch of coins and turns around and sells them on ebay for four times their original price? capitalism at its best.

how about folks who buy big collections for a lump sum that is less than the sum of its parts and then turns around and sells them for a substantial profit one at a time - either here or on ebay.

good business practices.

Add to this that the vendor had previously stated to at least one collector that he had no more tranqs and now (12 months later) lists a bunch on ebay (with NEW in the title).

the vendor was very clear in his answer - these were from his private collection. they were not for sale before.

i believe the "NEW" meant they weren't used, they had not been activated, they had not traveled. they weren't from trades. they were "new." but that is just my thought.

make sense?

And you wonder what all the fuss is about ? The tranq screams FUSS. It screams CONTROVERSY. Heck, the Tranquility is NOTORIOUS !!!

and that is a problem because ...? ;) look at how much amusement this has created.

..Add to this the fact that more Tranqs have been minted than any other geocoin.

supply and demand, read my reply above. why is this a problem? it IS one of the most beautiful geocoins out there. so far nothing else has come close. it's like owning a mercedes. it is gorgeous and holds it value.

Add to this that the Tranq is one of the most expensive coins on ebay.

who creates those prices? not the seller. it is the buyers that create the prices. if no one wanted them, they would sell for $9.99

again, why is this an issue?

do you have a problem with someone who buys a bunch of coins and turns around and sells them on ebay for four times their original price? capitalism at its best.

how about folks who buy big collections for a lump sum that is less than the sum of its parts and then turns around and sells them for a substantial profit one at a time - either here or on ebay.

good business practices.

Add to this that the vendor had previously stated to at least one collector that he had no more tranqs and now (12 months later) lists a bunch on ebay (with NEW in the title).

the vendor was very clear in his answer - these were from his private collection. they were not for sale before.

i believe the "NEW" meant they weren't used, they had not been activated, they had not traveled. they weren't from trades. they were "new." but that is just my thought.

make sense?

And you wonder what all the fuss is about ? The tranq screams FUSS. It screams CONTROVERSY. Heck, the Tranquility is NOTORIOUS !!!

and that is a problem because ...? ;) look at how much amusement this has created.

Correct RSG. For the last time. There has NOT been a re-minting of any of these. The last minted were at the time of the Trickster and Paula's version (late 2008??? I believe). GCG even checked for himself. The coins I sold this and last week on ebay were all but the last 3 Tranquility coins out of my private collection if that is an important issue to anyone. And the word NEW was used because of the space limit in the title section on ebay, it was referring to Unactivated as RSG pointed out. Geez, I haven't minted a coin in over 18 months, I quit collecting and now am selling most of my stuff and there's so much drama here.

R.S.G. - I don't disagree with any of your points. I am just responding to DJ J.Rocks bewilderment over the "fuss".

Castle Man - I believe you when you say you haven't reminted since the last of tranq editions. As for your comment "there is so much drama here", well you created that drama by minting so many versions and releasing so little information. That made you $$$ which I have no problem with but the free market for all its holiness is Darwinian. For eg, the bidding on your Blue Is My World gold on ebay is now up to $255. Some people think only 15 were produced while others think 100 were made. Will the winner of that auction be a happy or sad person when they later learn the truth? The fact that people don't "get" this is disturbing. Coin collecting is not a cheap hobby. If the market value of a tranq ends up at $10 it won't be an issue for me but maybe for some it will. This is the early, Wild West days of geocoins. The days before a population report, before a price guide, before PCGS certified (graded and slabbed) geocoins. Its good to be here and see it happening but in 20 years I'd like to be able to tell people how many of my favourite versions of the notorious tranquility were made.

Edited by haysonics

For eg, the bidding on your Blue Is My World gold on ebay is now up to $255. Some people think only 15 were produced while others think 100 were made. Will the winner of that auction be a happy or sad person when they later learn the truth?

I can assure you that person who won the auction is an extremely happy chap ;) I've actually bought rarer tranquilities for much less than I paid for this work of art.

- Ian.

For eg, the bidding on your Blue Is My World gold on ebay is now up to $255. Some people think only 15 were produced while others think 100 were made. Will the winner of that auction be a happy or sad person when they later learn the truth?

I can assure you that person who won the auction is an extremely happy chap ;) I've actually bought rarer tranquilities for much less than I paid for this work of art.

- Ian.

Ain't that the truth. Good thing you didn't need BITO ;)

TMA

- Ian.

Ain't that the truth. Good thing you didn't need BITO ;)

TMA

I'm extremely thankful for your 'contributions' to my Tranquility geocoin collection Moop, That was one coin I never thought I'd have the pleasure of seeing, never mind owning. So, thanks!

This from the man who owns 24 different versions of Tengwar and is ernestly seeking the remaining 2 ;)

In answer to your points, look at it this way; All Tengwar collectors can go to Scavok's website and see the names of all the versions and how many of each have been minted. They can read the Tengwar thread on this forum and find out which of those versions were minted a 2nd time. Tranquility collectors don't have that luxury because their vendor has not released that information. Add to this the fact that more Tranqs have been minted than any other geocoin. Add to this that the Tranq is one of the most expensive coins on ebay. Add to this that the vendor had previously stated to at least one collector that he had no more tranqs and now (12 months later) lists a bunch on ebay (with NEW in the title). And you wonder what all the fuss is about ? The tranq screams FUSS. It screams CONTROVERSY. Heck, the Tranquility is NOTORIOUS !!!

In a perfect world we would all be as tranquil as the coin encourages us to be. Unfortunately we live in the real world where we have to poke the gorilla with a stick in order to see how many bananas he is sitting on.

Yes this was from me the man with the tengwars...;). If there was as much fuss and low possibilitys of actually collecting the tengwars I probably wouldent be collecting those eather. I never said there was anything wrong with anything. All I said basicly is that its a shame there's so much drama over this coin. I collect the tengwars for many of the reasons you mentioned... The info is well kept,. The designer is a good friend and great person and honest.there hasent been a lot of drama over the coin,ppl don't get mad at cha for owning a handfull of tengwars lol The coins are more realistic for me to collect. Never once did I WONDER what the fuss was about here as I can read and , trust me I totally get it. But that is why I never ventured into the tranq. World.

It is a beautiful coin, I love the one I have, but if you think about the number of ppl collecting them and the number minted per version vs how many might have been activated and set free, and or stolen/lost/sitting in an old cachers drawer... To ME its not very realistic to collect them unless I had unlimited funds... And certanly in my case I cannot afford even 1. I've actually not been able to buy ANY coins for a very long time so I'm quite behind on the tengwars. I think with the new ones I'm needing probably about 6-10 of them. Any one want to trade.. Hahaha

....ppl don't get mad at cha for owning a handfull of tengwars lol ...

that anger at the tranquilities is something i simply do not understand. why on earth would people be mad because someone owned a handful or even a drawer full of the tranquility coins? or because ebay prices occasionally (not always) go through the roof? the "not always" part is important. i have seen them for much less than $100. the prices go up and down in stages.

i hope you can trade for the tengwars you need. they are truly beautiful. when i see the old ones i sometimes wish i could afford those. but i have one — an old red done (thanks to karen for the trade) — and like you are with your one tranq, i am content with that and enjoy its beauty immensely.

of course, i would not not say no to a trade for the turquoise and silver one.

hey, a girl can dream, yes?

rsg

This will constitute my final post in this thread.

THE ORIGINAL SELLER who attempts to sell TRANQUILITY on eBay from this point forward will be reported as an intellectual property right violation.

Questions* can be directed to the law firm of:

Hutchinson, Cox, Coons, DuPriest, Orr & Sherlock, PC

John Cox

200 Forum Building

777 High Street

Eugene, Oregon 97401

(541) 686-9160

*not that they will talk to you about it.

~J

Edit: Corrected a misconception - my bad.

Edited by GeocoinGuy

Agreed with MustangJoni. This doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm also thinking it really isn't good business sense to threaten your customers. If you feel that some illegal activity has taken place (on the part of Castle Man, I'm assuming), then it's Castle Man you should be pursuing and -- if his actions really /are/ illegal -- it should be from him you're recouping all of your losses. I really would strongly suggest you not make threats against the collectors unless you have your ducks in a row (that is, you actually have an ongoing suit and the lawyer advises you that it is, in fact, a legitimate violation of eBay's policies). It could backfire on you pretty badly.

This will constitute my final post in this thread.

For ALL to heed:

ANYONE attempting to sell TRANQUILITY on eBay from this point forward will be reported as an intellectual property right violation.

Questions* can be directed to the law firm of:

Hutchinson, Cox, Coons, DuPriest, Orr & Sherlock, PC

John Cox

200 Forum Building

777 High Street

Eugene, Oregon 97401

(541) 686-9160

*not that they will talk to you about it.

~J

so what your saying is i dont own my own coin?? what??? this is pretty ridiculious!! if you payed for the coin it is your property!! and there for can be sold at the owners will without violation of anything. what am i violating by selling my own property that i own and payed for.

i hate to say this because you seem to be a decient guy,, but your opening a whole new can of worms here and i think your over stepping your boundires..infact your stepping on many many toes here, by even implicating such things, and to be quite frank i have to agree with joni,, i dont like it,, and think this is gonna get ulgy!

You know in thinking about this, I don't think there is much that can be done. I believe these were originally sold by Castleman. Even if they weren't sold in his store, they were sold to the masses. They've been sold and re-sold and traded. So I don't see why I can't sell it.

I can see if I wanted to use the art to create another coin, or a pathtag, or something different.

If I bought a Picasso, I can sell it, but I can't reproduce it, and sell prints of it.

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "Good Grief!".

There's a lot happening in this thread right now and reports coming in left and right.

I'm temporarily locking this thread until Eartha and I have a chance to connect with Groundspeak on this and get them to weigh in.

We are not trying to stifle conversation, nor give anybody the upper hand, etc. We're simply trying our best to keep up with an ever-changing landscape of posts and what is/isn't right to be discussed here.

We will provide an update and re-open the thread once we've heard from The Frog.

We would like to keep this thread open at the OP’s wishes. There is a lot of history in this thread about these geocoins that collectors need, or may want to know. In order to do so, please keep the discussion focused on what was asked in the original post. Anything else should be discussed privately. If this doesn’t happen, we will have no choice but to lock the thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

Does anyone else find it ironic that so much unrest has been associated with a coin titled "Tranquility?"

Maybe we should refer to them as "Hostilities" or "Turbulences?" That might be a fun cointest...

Oh, goodness, that is hiliarious! I love the idea of a parody coin. I'm going to have to stay up all night when I get off watch and see what I can come up with. : )