Coin speculation

Kealia

what - no one thought of buying the coinback for mbike at those prices!? I remember twinpeaks paid 4 figures and gave it back to him. I heartily agree the newbs need educating someone wanted my EB$40 coin as part of a multi coin trade for their personal....eesh

Well it might help the noobs if we knew what the dickens an EB$40 was for a start !

EB$ = E Bay dollars :lol: = speculative dollars

eg.

Atlantagal has one of the aussie 2008 on ebay and it's USD$39 and still 2 days out from the close.

So I'd say my coin is now worth 'x number of ebay dollars' as it ain't govt backed the exchange rate is somewhat dubious so i generally only trade it for one other geocoin. I'm not going to ask you to trade for 4-5 of a new coin.

Maybe if it was liked stamped on the coin ' A gecoin - may be exchanged for one other of similar metal, size and weight'

I have seen the price (worth?) of geocoins do crazy things in the past. I sold a silver Red Scout Knife on eBay for $225.50 when others of the same type were going for $60. If they were put on now, they'd probably only go for $30.

Well Liz, or anyone, if you find one cheap, Justin reminds me everytime he goes through coins "I still don't have a red one"

Prices are odd with these things. Some I thought would go for a lot went rather low and others I have seen jump by leaps that are still fairly easy to find.

Only time shall see whats gonna happen.

It used to be funny to see my Geobones go for big bucks on eBay :unsure: - I haven't even seen one for sale in awhile (haven't really looked though)

I'm not sure if the appeal was being the first shaped coin (to my knowledge, the peach came out about a month later and there were square ones prior) or if it was the fact that it could be used for defense because of its weight! :ph34r:

To answer the question posed, re: are coins going for the same now as they did before?

I added-up all my coins about a year ago and I added them up today. I haven't collected many for about a year when coins got a little....silly.

Anyhow - they came out to the same price! Zero then, Zero now. My coins just aren't for sale. Each one I bought, or more likely traded for, has too much personal meaning to me. The minute you even *think* they have value in the *real* world, it becomes a little dangerous. So I keep them all valued at zero.

I do wonder if a new version of a coin makes the old one more valuable .... I wonder... I wonder... :ph34r:

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

It used to be funny to see my Geobones go for big bucks on eBay :unsure: - I haven't even seen one for sale in awhile (haven't really looked though)

It's been a while since I've seen one on eBay too, but it's one of the coins I watch for. I finally figured the only way I'd get one was there, so I picked up a silver one a while back (and it might be the most I've ever pair for a coin), and I'm still watching in hopes of some day getting a gold. My interest is that it and the Groundspeak Mystery coins are two of the few old Canada coins I still don't have.

I would agree with what was said before that prices for old coins aren't what they were (though it varies). It's been my impression that being trackable has become more of a factor for buyers on eBay, which may be part of the reason. Recently I saw someone liquidate a bunch of their non-trackables, and I was surprised how low some of them went for. Unfortunately I was away the weekend the auctions ended, otherwise I might have picked some of them up.

my pair 'o pennies . . .

for the most part, there is not a "market" for geocoins

a real true honest-to-goodness market requires thousands of buyers, a similar number of sellers and at least hundreds of transactions

there exists a market for Microsoft stock and one for 50 states quarters proof sets

a market does not exist for geocoins

a better description would be "random, sporadic buying and selling"

there are many stocks that swing wildly in price because there are few interested parties and/or too few shares - your broker will warn you away from such stocks because there is not enough activity to determine what the market value of the shares might be

the same is true for geocoins

keep in mind that it only takes two committed bidders on eBay to greatly inflate the price of an item

I have seen a particular coin go for big bucks, and then an identical auction finish for a much lower price a week later - frequently it is the low bidder on the first auction who wins the second one

you can always buy or sell shares of Microsoft

most of the time for a price close to what they went for yesterday

a great many geocoins cannot be bought for any price

there just are not any available, except on rare occasions

there is simply not enough "action" on geocoins to determine an accurate price

and that is why you often see such wild swings in prices

what is the "market price" for a Picaso painting ?

nobody knows

the last few auctions are few enough and far between enough to be a poor predictor of the future

I maintain that the same is mostly true for geocoins, and is liable to remain so

I'd say there is a "market" for collectibles (such as geocoins and Picasso paintings), but it's a volatile one!

I collect comics and stamps - which are traditional collectible markets with items showing historical sales. Often (in the case of comics I collect at least) there are less than 10 or so copies known to exist, so the market is small without much movement - yet it is possible to predict a ballpark of what certain items will sell for.

My level of geocoin speculation is pretty low though. In fact, I'd be a bad investor if geocoins were the measuring stick. I give them away most of the time, trade some, and cache a bunch too. So most of my "gains" are pretty non-tangible (I like to think that karma will take care of me - and indeed, just the other day I was gifted a set of 4 coins that I never expected - even better, they were personal coins from the person themselves and with a very specific and cool meaning! - whoo hoo.

I would agree that as a traditional market goes, I wouldn't want to use geocoins as an investment vehicle.

It's been a while since I've seen one on eBay too, but it's one of the coins I watch for. I finally figured the only way I'd get one was there, so I picked up a silver one a while back (and it might be the most I've ever pair for a coin), and I'm still watching in hopes of some day getting a gold. My interest is that it and the Groundspeak Mystery coins are two of the few old Canada coins I still don't have.

I would agree with what was said before that prices for old coins aren't what they were (though it varies). It's been my impression that being trackable has become more of a factor for buyers on eBay, which may be part of the reason. Recently I saw someone liquidate a bunch of their non-trackables, and I was surprised how low some of them went for. Unfortunately I was away the weekend the auctions ended, otherwise I might have picked some of them up.

I'm very sorry you had to buy one on eBay - I would have loved to have given you one :ph34r:

They are rare - even to me!

I don't think coins would go for those kind of prices today unless they were being auctioned off for charity.

A Moun10bike V1 would probably still go pretty high. I don't know if it would hit the $1300 mark though. (When I see what those were going for I remember finding one in a cache, logging it, and moving it on. It disappeared not to long after that)

I might pay up to 100 for a charity auction, but wouldn't think of even thinking of paying those higher prices just to collect, not even if I was rich enough. Unless it was the solid gold Alaska Coin

Reading through some of these posts has gotten me thinking that in an Ocean of coins, I should do something very nice or different to make any design stand out.(when I make my first)

What makes a coin stand out is making it personal. In the end, it seems the highest "value" coins on the secondary market are the ones that are really personal to the cacher and not the ones that are too "fancy"

It used to be funny to see my Geobones go for big bucks on eBay :blink: - I haven't even seen one for sale in awhile (haven't really looked though)

I'm very sorry you had to buy one on eBay - I would have loved to have given you one :D

They are rare - even to me!

I have a Gold Geobone. :( It's one of the coins I kept when I quit collecting coins.

I still have a few such as Joefrog, Prairie Partners LE Silver (only 75 minted), Kilted Cacher, Kilted Cacher Christmas Coin, Gold Geocoin Addicts, 9key, Team Sand Dollar, San Francisco..... Can't think of others at the moment and I'm at work. These are older coins that you just won't see anymore. Probably most newer coin collectors haven't even heard of them. I also have a Tethy's C - Early Jurrasic Amonite coin. It's pretty cool and was given to me by the owner while caching after GW VI. Of course I also have N.U.T.S and GW VI coins. :(

I'd have to say that the Geobone, Kilted Cacher (both types), Joefrog, Prairie Partners, Tethy's C - Early Jurrasic Amonite, N.U.T.S. and GW VI are my favorites. Just because they are special to me doesn't mean anybody else would pay much for them on eBay.

What makes a coin stand out is making it personal. In the end, it seems the highest "value" coins on the secondary market are the ones that are really personal to the cacher and not the ones that are too "fancy"

I agree totally, although I do have to say I too fed into that 'fancy coin frenzy'. Now that I am more restricted in finances (ie husband) and the novelty of collecting 'everything' has worn off, I really look for more meaningful, personal coins and I particularly like coins from places where I've been. They are often even harder to trade for since I don't have a personal coin yet. I will get one....someday.

On a side note, I'm completely flabergasted when I see a F&tH coin on ebay going for a high price (or any price above the initial offering) because it's "sold out" when the bidder never even asked if I still have any for trade. It's even worse when I recognize the bidder :blink: It's nice to know there is still a demand for your personal, but I'd much rather arrange a trade than see someone overpay.

I was floored a couple weeks ago to see two of our coins on Ebay- one went for $46 and the other for $33, and both were still available on our website for $10.99 each! I guess the extra 22-35 bucks they paid was the surcharge for not doing their jomework! :(

So, I would say that the coin market is still going strong based on a few comments and some recent sales.

Again, I'm not selling any of mine - just curious about the "state of the market" from time to time.

I've never looked at my collection as an investment, other than an investment in fun.

Wonder what I could get for my one-of-a-kind copper sample of my personal, though....... :blink:

Kidding.

I keep searching my children's rooms for geobones :huh:

When they came in, the kids grabbed a bunch and they've been known to show-up behind dressers, inside old toys and such. If they get any more valuable, I'm taking the metal detector in! :huh:

Or you could just do what everyone else does and mint some more. :)

So, I would say that the coin market is still going strong based on a few comments and some recent sales.

I would agree and disagree. Good designs trade and sell well. But the overall number of coins being produced is far less... now 250 is the norm where 500, and before that 1000 were made. A good design can probably still sell out 250 coins but not much more than that. Ebay is going strong if you put up a hot coin

, don't list reserves and start the coins out low... other than that 75% of stuff on ebay doesn't even get bids.

There is currently a Capt Prozac for going almost $200 :huh: They aren't sold out!

I keep searching my children's rooms for geobones ;)

When they came in, the kids grabbed a bunch and they've been known to show-up behind dressers, inside old toys and such. If they get any more valuable, I'm taking the metal detector in! :huh:

Or you could just do what everyone else does and mint some more. :huh:

You mean.....like a version 2 or something?

I actually *did* mint coins in 2006 and agin in 2007 - different designs. They were round and very simple.

Don't know *what* I'll do for 2008 though :)

Here's a "blast from the past"

Any of the coins on THIS page are probably worth trying to find and worth money.

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geocoins/index.html

I don't own very many coins but I have 5 or 6 of the ones on that page. :D

I think this page was pretty much up-to-date on all the coins available - up until the tidal wave hit!

The ones you see there are probably at least within the first 200 or so editions of geocoins ever made.

Here's a "blast from the past"

Any of the coins on THIS page are probably worth trying to find and worth money.

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geocoins/index.html

I don't own very many coins but I have 5 or 6 of the ones on that page. :rolleyes:

I think this page was pretty much up-to-date on all the coins available - up until the tidal wave hit!

The ones you see there are probably at least within the first 200 or so editions of geocoins ever made.

wow, my seeking list just got a lot longer! good thing i have a few of those already. interesting is that a few of those are what we would classify as strictly sig items now.

thanks for the link!

rsg