Mystery solved!

Followed the creek. Used stepping stones to cross creek. Used logs to cross creek. No mugglers around this place. Took nothing left golf ball. STL TFTC

There must be an inside joke I'm not in on, but this doesn't really solve any mysteries that I'm aware of.

Want to post the rest of the story?

Edited by Mushtang

Crikey! :huh:

(from the cache listing);

"You are under no obligation to hunt this cache. Like any outdoor sport or activity (hiking, backpacking, mountain biking) Geocaching involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, legal concerns, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking a Cache. It is the responsibility of the searcher to be familiar with the conditions in the area to be searched, to adequately prepare for those conditions, and to conduct oneself safely and responsibly and remain within his or her personal abilities and limitations. Children should be well supervised. By attempting this cache you acknowledge the above conditions and accept responsibility for anything that may happen. In addition, you agree to hold the cache placers/webpage creator non-liable for any events, which may occur and agree to provide this disclaimer to anyone with whom you share this information. In no way shall the cache placers be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, or consequential damages arising of or anyway connected with the seeking of this cache or the information contained on this page. Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking this cache.".

Umm, "How do all those used and dirty golf balls get into caches when no one ever fesses up to putting them in there? " :huh::)

Sheesh do we hafta spell every single gugdam thang out around here? :D

I'd ask a mod to edit the thread subtitle, but that would take away the fun and render this post more worthless than most.

Edited by wimseyguy

Umm, "How do all those used and dirty golf balls get into caches when no one ever fesses up to putting them in there? " :huh::)

Sheesh do we hafta spell every single gugdam thang out around here? :D

That must be why I didn't get the joke, I didn't realize nobody was admitting it. I've read countless logs of people leaving a golf ball. My mistake.

At least the logger was honest, and maybe it was a spiffy, shiny, brand new, extra distance, slice eliminator ball. Maybe.

It's definitely not a regional thing, because old golf balls show up here all the time. And Mr. Belfrypotters actually likes them! Even old range balls. Mind you, he fishes soggy balls out of the water hazards at the golf course, too, so maybe it's just his Scottish grandparentage or something. Until I threatened to change my name (both marital name and caching name :huh:) he even left a few in caches when we first started. I cringe when he takes a load of trash to the dump, too, because he rarely comes back without something else. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Cool. I'm running low on Golf Balls in my shooting bag. They don't build them like they used to. In the days of old they used to soak up .22 rounds like a sponge. Now the new balls don't. They pass right through. So the older, uglier, and gnarlier the better.
You want to look for Titleist balls. They are still rubber wound.

That being said, I think golf balls make fine trade items caches.

5ca52b80-1ea6-4d98-81a8-2e15a31c340a.jpg

Edited by sbell111

I just don't get the problem/complaints with golf balls. I guess I need to move because in the few caches I've found so far, a golf ball or a pack of 4-6 would be a great! find. My entire family are golfers and used golf balls are always in demand. You can use them to practice putting and chipping, they can go in your bag for those times your on the course and want to try to 'go for the green' over the water hazard instead of laying up so you use a "junker" ball instead. Or for people like me who could care less what golf ball I hit, I just play to talk to the beer cart girls, so a 4 pack of golf balls in decent shape is great for me.

Yes, cut up, or dirty or cracked golf balls is pretty silly but four nicely washed junker balls is great!

We have a lot of small containers in this area but here is a list of the swag we found in our last 2 "regular size" caches.

A yo-yo with no string.

A page of peel off stickers (totally soaked!)

A pencil sharpner with no frickin' blade (in case the person who left this is reading this, this is not trading it is littering.)

A broken plastic American Flag.

A carboard token for a free drink...didn't say where but I'm sure ANYPLACE will take it.

A plastic spider ring from a gumball machine. (The most valuable thing found in the last two caches)

We don't trade anyways (only leave stuff) so we could care less what's in the container but from what we've seen....a 4 pack of some washed golf balls would be like hitting the jackpot. I think used balls go for something like a $0.70-$1 a piece on ebay.

Edited by Morning Dew

Hate to say it but the mystery isn't solved.

The mystery is who takes all the good items and leave behind the golf balls.

This person merely logged that they left golf balls but they TOOK NOTHING. So the person infact Traded up since anything is up from nothing. ;)

Hate to say it but the mystery isn't solved.

The mystery is who takes all the good items and leave behind the golf balls.

This person merely logged that they left golf balls but they TOOK NOTHING. So the person infact Traded up since anything is up from nothing. ;)

You mean I shouldn't be taking out something spendy when I put in my 'Briansnat' golf balls?

I just don't get the problem/complaints with golf balls.

I suspect it's a "Poster Child" thing. Everybody needs a good whipping boy, and used golf balls fit the bill nicely. They are often viewed as having no intrinsic value, as folks can simply wander around, plucking them from the shrubbery around driving ranges. While there are a few folks who can appreciate a good used golf ball, (such as me), many think they are lame. Personally, I prefer using McCrap as the lame swag poster child. ;)

Kinda like LPC's.

While there is no rule requiring that a micro hidden under a lamp post kilt be lame, there are hordes of folks who perceive them as such, and they've been granted official lame cache poster child status.

I wonder what would happen if you put out an ammo can filled entirely with golf balls. Would they be replaced with broken toys?

i put out a 5 gallon bucket FULL of NEW mcToys, bought a truck load on ebay, saved all that i had.

put it out there and called it bucket load of toys. it was a tough find, but after a few finds someone ripped it off and all the toys that were in it. i was miffed. somebody out there has my toys!

RSG

Well you can all come here to hunt a film can on the edge of a cliff, but they thoughtfully placed a bucket of golfballs nearby. It was on my 20 nearest but then I got lazy at keeping up on the new local caches - but I'll have to go there someday... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b3-cc6c0a19ff48

"The cache is at an altitude of 1104 feet. This means you will gain about 650 feet from the most likely parking area. No climbing equipment is required to get to the cache, but it is not recommended for those who are intimidated by large cliffs. There are many bush-trails in the area, not all of them are safe. Don't fall.

The cache is a film canister and it contains a tiny log book and some small goodies. keep the size of the cache in mind if you bring something with you. There is also a stash of golf-balls nearby (within 15 feet) for whoever want's them."

And yes I put a golfball in a cache once that I found near the cache (beside a golf course) but I TN so no one can complain.

I wonder what would happen if you put out an ammo can filled entirely with golf balls. Would they be replaced with broken toys?

Ask CarleenP :)

I passed on my GWII golf balls in nicely decorated radioactive green ammo cans. Last I heard, they were sitting in the bunker for the quantum leap cache. :)

Heck, I put a used golf ball in to a cache right in front of the cache owner. Of course this was AFTER I huckled him on his own cache ( we were out doing a maintenance run ) I told him that it was a rule that every cache had to have at least one golf ball.

I won't mention names, but the owner in question is a cacher that Tprints owed a screwdriver to, goes by the initials "TWU"