Do's and dont's in Canada

bjoernthebear

Hi,

we are about to make a trip from Europe to Vancouver Island in July 2008. To avoid any conflict with the authorities, I'd like to know, if the Canadian community could offer some hints of what behaviour during caching might lead to misunderstandings with the authorities. Do you experience similar nervous public reactions as they are recorded in the states and in some european countries?

Whatever your hints are alike, I'd be happy to learn from you.

Thanks

My feeling is for the most part we're pretty good about not getting all riled up about things. That's not to say it doesn't happen. We do get some bomb squad calls (some of which you have to wonder what the heck they think you're trying to blow up... maybe you have a grudge against squirrels or something).

My own approach is to simply not worry about it. I think you attract far more attention in general when trying to be 'stealthy' than you would if you just went right up and looked for the cache. If I notice someone looking at me, I'll often even invite them over and chat with them about caching. Most will smile, nod and go on their way.

I tend to stay away from the heavily urban caches, so your mileage may vary.

I would think you should behave the same way as you behave at home.

If there are a bunch of muggles around, it is best to pass on that cache and go to the next one.

It is nice to cache in trash out.

Leave the area nicer than you found it.

People on the trail will be friendly if you are. Say hi. They will say hi back.

IMHO, if you want to cache in Canada, select a bunch of caches that are not in a downtown area. Get out and explore some of our woodland parks and areas. Much more fun.

If you are coming to the Toronto Area we have two great trail systems, Bruce Trail and Oak Ridges Trail (there are others as well) that have lots of caches and offer an excellent way to see different terrains and find caches and meet other hikers.

Enjoy your trip.

My feeling is for the most part we're pretty good about not getting all riled up about things. That's not to say it doesn't happen. We do get some bomb squad calls (some of which you have to wonder what the heck they think you're trying to blow up... maybe you have a grudge against squirrels or something).

My own approach is to simply not worry about it. I think you attract far more attention in general when trying to be 'stealthy' than you would if you just went right up and looked for the cache. If I notice someone looking at me, I'll often even invite them over and chat with them about caching. Most will smile, nod and go on their way.

I tend to stay away from the heavily urban caches, so your mileage may vary.

This is entirely my approach also, I actually become quite uncomfortable when people want to do elaborate diversions. They tend to look weird (the ol' GPS'r is receiving a call) and most people walking by don't even notice anyway.

The only exception being the urban hunts, there are just too many people around to introduce everyone to geocaching. So, I tend to do a lot of shoe tying & framing photo shots from low angles ( a camera around your neck is a great diversion tool). When I do urban caches I find hunting amongst the masses is one of the intriguing facets of the game. I do prefer the parks and trails more though, and even if someone comes across you while just off the trail a quick click of the camera into the trees and everyone is looking for the wonderful bird that you saw. Meanwhile your already back to looking for the cache.

Anyway, enjoy your vacation. I think time spent before you leave researching good caches to hunt when you get here is the most important thing one can do when traveling. I always find the most amazing "Locals Only" spots when geocaching on vacation.

Edited by WCoaster

Hi,

we are about to make a trip from Europe to Vancouver Island in July 2008. To avoid any conflict with the authorities, I'd like to know, if the Canadian community could offer some hints of what behaviour during caching might lead to misunderstandings with the authorities. Do you experience similar nervous public reactions as they are recorded in the states and in some european countries?

Whatever your hints are alike, I'd be happy to learn from you.

Thanks

A general policy for caching in Canada is to buy the beer for whomever you meet on the trail. Feel free to come caching in Kitchener/Waterloo...the CREW is always happy to accept free beer!

Seriously though. I have never had a negative reaction. No worries caching here, just use common sense.

Edited by M3J

The usual stuff... don't hang out in bushes near playgrounds, swimming pools, or people's houses. Unless you have kids with you, in which case you can pretty much get away with anything. Have fun on your trip!

Dogs make a great distraction too :). You can get away with anything if it looks like you're following your dog. :)

To all!

Many thanks for the hints. So, What I'll do is to :) :

- avoid urban caches (what are the alternatives, when my girls go shopping?)

- rent a dog (Do they have rental offices in Leicester Pearson airport?)

- stuff the RV with free local beer for my geocaching friends (Whats the local brand on Vancouver Island?)

- organize a trailer for the bear to buy

- put on my Groundspeak.com hat and behave normal (my wife says, that's what I have to learn anyhow - some time)

- not talk into my GPSr (the only one, I usually talk to about my deepest concerns during caching)

- convince any person, whom I meet, to go geocaching with me and my family

- have a second trailer for the CITO-collection (this was not fair, as I think that it will be impossible to find as much trash in all over Canada than in my little 2500 soul village in Germany)

So, the remaining question is, wether any Geocacher from that big island in the west has information about the northern part around Cape Scott and the westerly regions. Is it feasable to go there with a 4wd RV? What are the most interesting caches around (With my present luck, I should avoid climbing caches)?

To all!

Many thanks for the hints. So, What I'll do is to :) :

- avoid urban caches (what are the alternatives, when my girls go shopping?)

- rent a dog (Do they have rental offices in Leicester Pearson airport?)

- stuff the RV with free local beer for my geocaching friends (Whats the local brand on Vancouver Island?)

- organize a trailer for the bear to buy

- put on my Groundspeak.com hat and behave normal (my wife says, that's what I have to learn anyhow - some time)

- not talk into my GPSr (the only one, I usually talk to about my deepest concerns during caching)

- convince any person, whom I meet, to go geocaching with me and my family

- have a second trailer for the CITO-collection (this was not fair, as I think that it will be impossible to find as much trash in all over Canada than in my little 2500 soul village in Germany)

So, the remaining question is, wether any Geocacher from that big island in the west has information about the northern part around Cape Scott and the westerly regions. Is it feasable to go there with a 4wd RV? What are the most interesting caches around (With my present luck, I should avoid climbing caches)?

Ok, big island in the west reporting in finally :)

The north of Vancouver Island - east, west and Cape Scott are all lovely. There is a new trail that has been put in for hikers who may not want to hike the West Coast Trail with all the bumper to bumper hikers. I think it's called the North Coast Trail.

We haven't cached at Cape Scott but I know the Kootenay Pirates visited the cache there on one of their excursions to the coast and came prepared to do cache maintenance. We live in a coastal rainforest and some of the remote caches don't get a lot of visitors so if you wouldn't mind... pack a spare log book in a ziploc baggie in case you come across a sodden mess. Also caches occasionally get visited by wildlife in remote areas so don't be alarmed if they have bites taken out of them. That's why we don't leave food in caches!

Do urban caches in Victoria - for sure. Fort Victoria: A TB Stronghold is a sure bet to visit. Also check out all the ones along the waterfront. I'll check my bookmark list to make sure it's current, but there are some good ones downtown that you shouldn't miss. Also we have some virtual caches at cool historical spots that you can't help but walk by if you're downtown. I think Nanaimo has some some good downtown ones too, but I'll leave that for someone north of me to report on.

Vancouver Island and Victoria has a lot of great micro breweries so you can't go wrong but the flagship IMHO is the Vancouver Island Brewery on Goverment Street and Bay. A photo that we took at a cache in the Inner Harbour is on their most recent promo poster - we traded permission to use the photo for beer :D . Gotta love this job! Scenic brews can also be had at Spinakers or Canoe Club. There is a multi cache in town that visits a few of the good microbreweries along the way - I believe it's called Victoria Brewpubs...

You may want a bear bell for your pack just for a false sense of security off in the woods - you've probably heard the bear bell joke so I won't repeat it.

Feel free to drop us a line when you're in town - there may be an event or something, or folks might want to send trackables off the Island with you. I know that I'll activate and send some geocoins to Germany with you if we have the opportunity.

Mrs. LS.

Jokingly:

- put gravy on EVERYTHING - especially in public. It may not taste great, but you will blend right in..

- After saying something in english, repeat in french

Somewhat seriously:

- Keep your clothing on - the bottom half atleast, unless in a specified zone.

Seriously:

- when night caching, stay away from city caches, or caches around houses.

- make eye contact and say hi or "g'day" to those passing on the trails

Great to read that someone already asked my questions :huh:

Will be to Vancouver about 23rd June to 9th July with a sidetrip to seattle, hopefully there will be an event going on then, would be great to meet some locals :o

I am already collecting coins and TBs to take to Canada, if there isn´t an event, I will be trading the TB-Hotels of the area, maybe the next germans take them home again ;)

One last question: Do you have some special caches that you recommend to try while staying in vancouver?

Greets

Tschakko

Edited by Tschakko

All I can suggest is that you are coming to Canada, and not vacationing in one of the American overloaded touristy spots around the equator. Say hello to anyone you meet on the trail, chat a while, and you will probably get an invitation to a BBQ or supper on someone's back deck. ;)