Educated muggles

IANNA

Have you ever ran in to an educated muggle? Meaning someone who knows about geocaching and is interested in the hobby?

Yesterday we were out doing a series of caches in a park near our house and at the last cache find of the day we past a couple and their kid out for a stroll down one of the trail. After about 5 minutes of looking for a cache they caught up to us and they past with the exception of the dad. Who stopped and watch us for a few then asked if we were using our "GPS to do that Geocaching thing" and we responded yes and stuck up a conversation with the gentleman who said he has been reading allot about the sport and it sound really fun and interesting. We took the time to answer some of his questions and showed him our equipment and he seemed really interested and possibly a future cacher in the works.

I know we all gawk and muggles and try to be stealthy as possible but in this instance it was kind of out of the question to be stealthy due to us rooting around in about a ten foot wide patch of forest between a train and a creek. No place for us to act stealthy or hide what we were doing so we choose to educate instead of scurry.

I was doing a drive by cache in the country, it was a park with a nice lake and rest stop for drivers. Someone walked past with a gps and I made a comment about them going in the wrong direction.

I mean why else would you be walking past a cache with a gpsr in your hand.

Turned out it was her partners gpsr and no she didn't know about geocaching. They do now, she went home and very quickly they both signed up as a team. Have now got 24 finds and 8 hides. I have found 3 of their hides and so far was impressed with them.

There's a high-traffic TB hotel near here (downtown but hidden in a very muggle-resistant way). One non-cacher likes to sit on a bench nearby during his lunch break, and enjoys watching people try to find the cache (especially if they're trying to appear innocent).

Are they really muggles if they are aware of us and our hiding spots and hold some interest in the hobby??

....just sayin'

That is a decent point but in my instance it was just a guy who read about geocaching through a local paper and then went to geocaching.com for more info. He sounded rather interested and who knows he might be a future cacher.

Edited by IANNA

There's a high-traffic TB hotel near here (downtown but hidden in a very muggle-resistant way). One non-cacher likes to sit on a bench nearby during his lunch break, and enjoys watching people try to find the cache (especially if they're trying to appear innocent).

J-Way, is that cache GCV8JF? We go down to Chattanooga from Nashville a few times a year. You have a great city there!
Are they really muggles if they are aware of us and our hiding spots and hold some interest in the hobby??

Semi-Muggles?

"Smuggles" B)

Some of them may be 'squibs'..

So, what then would a Mud Blood be?

Rogue cachers who go around stealing caches, despite their premium member status & Garmin Colorado?

Semi-Muggles?

"Smuggles" B)

Some of them may be 'squibs'..

So, what then would a Mud Blood be?

Rogue cachers who go around stealing caches, despite their premium member status & Garmin Colorado?

Mud Blood would be a person who is tagging along with a cacher to see what the sport is all about and what makes us so fanatical about it.