Canals & Caches

Nediam

Me and some friends are thinking of a canal boat holiday either this year or next, and we thought we might be able to get some caches done at the same time. We also like walking and caching along them too.

I was thinking of doing some "Caching Along a Route" routes, but wondered if anyone else has already done any? If not, I don't mind drawing a few up and making them "public". I've had a look at some stuff on the internet and Wiki to determine where individual canals start and finish.

Anyone know of any public routes or of any canals with a good number of caches along them? Or any other info/input would be appreciated :huh::D

Cheers....

The Kennet & Avon canal has loads of caches along it. I've started a list but not finished it. There are all sorts of clever things around now where you can plot a route and get a gpx file of the caches along it. Have a look at this thread :)

Yeah, we were thinking of the K&A as it's somewhere I've not been and has loads of caches :D

Was going to use Memory-Map to create the GPX file then load it into Geocaching.com and keep my fingers crossed that it works properly :huh:

Anyone know of any public routes or of any canals with a good number of caches along them? Or any other info/input would be appreciated :huh::D

There appears to be quite a few routes already set up (many by "Sanne o Mats"). Searching using the keyword "Canal" gives the following list;

Middlesex Canal Series

Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Union Canal Scotland

Kennet and Avon Canal

Huddersfield Broad Canal

Monmouth + Brecon Canal

Staff and Worcs - Aldersley Junction to Penkridge

BCN - Old Turn to Aldersley Junction

Kennet + Avon Canal - Bath to Newbury

Llangollen canal

Birmingham and Fazeley - Fazeley Junction to Old Turn

Coventry Canal - Fazeley Junction to Fradley Junction

Trent and Mersey Canal

River Soar - Leichester to Trent Lock

Grand Union, Leichester Section 1 - Market Harborough to Leichester

Grand Union, Leichester Section 2 - Norton Junction to Foxton Locks

Grand Union - Kingswood Junction till Norton Junction

Old Turn (Deep Cuttings Junction) to Kingswood Junction

Possibly, other keywords will turn up more.

Thanks for the post Happy H and PUP :D

I've just done a GPX route for the whole of the Trent & Mersey canal (my nearest). It's around 100 miles long so will probably split it between junctions so it splits it up a bit. Once I've done that I'll let the server have a go at creating some routes for it :huh:

Ok, I've split the whole Trent & Mersey up into 8 sections and have now uploaded and created the public routes (apologies to Sanne o Mats for duplicating the Fradley to Trent section - didn't spot that till after I'd loaded mine). A search for "canal" in the keyword section should bring them up as should "trent" or "mersey". I'll await any comments, suggestions and criticism before doing any more canals.

Hopefully they'll prove useful to somebody :huh:

Any urgent requests for a particular canal section to be done? :D

Ok, I've split the whole Trent & Mersey up into 8 sections and have now uploaded and created the public routes (apologies to Sanne o Mats for duplicating the Fradley to Trent section - didn't spot that till after I'd loaded mine). A search for "canal" in the keyword section should bring them up as should "trent" or "mersey". I'll await any comments, suggestions and criticism before doing any more canals.

Hopefully they'll prove useful to somebody :huh:

Well done, they do appear in the list based on the keyword "canal".

Any urgent requests for a particular canal section to be done? :D

There's a bookmark for Oxford Canal Caches, but a route would be good. I'm caching on the Wey Navigation next week: I've already sorted a bookmark list out and downloaded the caches so it's too late now, but this could be useful to others. I'd include the keyword "canal" in the Wey list as well even though it's not strictly a canal.

In similar vein, there are a few my Thames Path routes available: search using "thames" as keyword. They don't include the whole of the Thames, but may be useful.

Cheers UKTim :huh:

There's a bookmark for Oxford Canal Caches, but a route would be good. I'm caching on the Wey Navigation next week: I've already sorted a bookmark list out and downloaded the caches so it's too late now, but this could be useful to others. I'd include the keyword "canal" in the Wey list as well even though it's not strictly a canal.

In similar vein, there are a few my Thames Path routes available: search using "thames" as keyword. They don't include the whole of the Thames, but may be useful.

OK, Oxford canal and the Wey will be next :)

I found this site which lists navagable rivers as well as canals, so I should be able to keep myself busy for a while :D

Have now created a route for the River Wey Navigation. :huh:

However, when I've saved the GPX file from Geocaching.com and put it into Memory-Map - it's nowhere near as accurate as the one I uploaded! :):D Looks like uploaded routes get altered for some reason, anyone any ideas why?

Have now created a route for the River Wey Navigation. :huh:

However, when I've saved the GPX file from Geocaching.com and put it into Memory-Map - it's nowhere near as accurate as the one I uploaded! :):D Looks like uploaded routes get altered for some reason, anyone any ideas why?

I can't check at the moment: the Google Map looks fine though. Did you stay under the maximum number of waypoints?

It could be worth adding "Byfleet" and "Guildford" to the keyword list.

Have now created a route for the River Wey Navigation. :D

I just loaded the GPX into MM and it looks perfect. ;)

There a quite a few along the Exeter Ship Canal set by a variety of people. However, the Canal is not particularly long and can be walked in a day, or you can hire canoes from the Quay in Exeter which is more fun and only one set of locks to cope with placed very conveniently next to a pub.

I can't check at the moment: the Google Map looks fine though. Did you stay under the maximum number of waypoints?

It could be worth adding "Byfleet" and "Guildford" to the keyword list.

Yeah, well under 100 I think let alone 500 :)

Shall add Byfleet & Guildford to the keywords :)

Thanks for all the other posts people, loads for me to look at now :D

Your help is most appreciated!

Cheers...

OK, I have now completed the Oxford Canal running from Oxford to the Coventry Canal (around 77 miles). I have split it into 4 sections, one of which is the Grand Union Canal which splits the Oxford canal in two.

Hopefully they're of use to someone - let me know of any problems/suggestions etc :)

Any suggestions or requests for the next one?......

Can we please have the Shropshire Union Canal and maybe the Llangollen Canal

Now done both of these :)

............and the 2 series along the Tiverton Canal! :D:D:):D:D

By Tiverton Canal do you mean "Grand Western Canal"? If so, that's done too - all 11 miles of it :):)

Had to rush these 3 so the descriptions are a bit basic but I'll update them next week. The routes should be fine though :)

Let me know of any problems etc

Any more suggestions/requests? Should be able to get some more done next week :)

Thanks for your work in setting up the cache info along the canals. They will certainly make it easier for us as we move around the Inland Waterways.

Is it possible for you to include The Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals please

No problem, glad they're of use :P

Yep, I'll look into those 2 canals next and post here again when they're done :P

Hi there in Milton Keynes there is the "Grand Union" series by Norfolk 12... also spattered along the route of the Grand Union there are tonnes of others too! I live in Milton Keynes and cannot believe how great it is - and the geocaching has become yet another wonderful reason to be here.

Also there are canal boats for hire in the area (Leighton Buzzard/Linslade/Northampton/Milton Keynes).

Theres lots to do a short walk from the canal too. Just look up Milton Keynes onthe geocache page and map it to see just how many you can find!!!

Great stuff -

PS I don't work for the MK tourist board - although I should! :P

Thanks for your work in setting up the cache info along the canals. They will certainly make it easier for us as we move around the Inland Waterways.

Is it possible for you to include The Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals please

No problem, glad they're of use :P

Yep, I'll look into those 2 canals next and post here again when they're done :P

Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals are now done :P

Let me know if there's any problems with them :P

Any other requests? :P

Edit:- Also done the Coventry Canal to link some of the others up :P

Edited by Nediam

Hi there in Milton Keynes there is the "Grand Union" series by Norfolk 12... also spattered along the route of the Grand Union there are tonnes of others too! I live in Milton Keynes and cannot believe how great it is - and the geocaching has become yet another wonderful reason to be here.

Also there are canal boats for hire in the area (Leighton Buzzard/Linslade/Northampton/Milton Keynes).

Theres lots to do a short walk from the canal too. Just look up Milton Keynes onthe geocache page and map it to see just how many you can find!!!

Great stuff -

PS I don't work for the MK tourist board - although I should! :D

Have now uploaded the Grand Union Canal in around 15 sections, including the Aylesbury, Northampton, Slough and Wendover arms. Give me a heads up if anyone notices any probs. I haven't put too much details into the info section yet - thought it best to get them uploaded first ;)

Any more "urgent" requests? :D:D

where do we access this great work, O Nediam?

You should be able to go to the "Find Caches Along a Route" in the Premium Feature section and then do a search in the "Search by Keyword" tab - typing "canal" will find them all or you could just enter the name of the canal you're after :D

Have now added the "Birmingham Canal Network" which, in all, is around another 100 miles of canal and includes:-

Tame Valley Canal,

Rushall Canal,

Daw End Branch Canal,

Cannock Extension Canal,

Wyrley & Essington Canal,

Birmingham Canal Main Line,

Birmingham Canal Old Main Line,

Walsall Branch Canal,

Walsall Canal,

Wednesbury Oak Loop,

Gower Branch Canal,

Titford Canal,

Wednesbury Old Canal,

Dudley No 1 Canal,

Dudley No 2 Canal,

Stourbridge Canal,

Birmingham & Fazeley Canal,

Digbeth Branch Canal,

Netherton Tunnel Branch Canal

and the complete Worcester & Birmingham Canal :D

Again, let me know of any problems etc and If there are any more requests I shall try and do them next week :D

FAB!! That will make adding caches to my GU series so much easier, LOL :D

Glad it helps :D

If you send me your email address via PM or email, I can send you the original GPX files for the Grand Union. For some reason the GC.com program chops up the routes quite badly!

Anyone know of any public routes or of any canals with a good number of caches along them? Or any other info/input would be appreciated :huh:;)

There appears to be quite a few routes already set up (many by "Sanne o Mats"). Searching using the keyword "Canal" gives the following list;

Middlesex Canal Series

Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Union Canal Scotland

Kennet and Avon Canal

Huddersfield Broad Canal

Monmouth + Brecon Canal

BCN - Old Turn to Aldersley Junction

Kennet + Avon Canal - Bath to Newbury

Llangollen canal

Birmingham and Fazeley - Fazeley Junction to Old Turn

Coventry Canal - Fazeley Junction to Fradley Junction

Trent and Mersey Canal

River Soar - Leichester to Trent Lock

Grand Union, Leichester Section 1 - Market Harborough to Leichester

Grand Union, Leichester Section 2 - Norton Junction to Foxton Locks

Grand Union - Kingswood Junction till Norton Junction

Old Turn (Deep Cuttings Junction) to Kingswood Junction

Possibly, other keywords will turn up more.

Can I add the Bridgwater to Taunton canal to the list? Several caches along it and though not all are in a linked series some follow the planetary theme of the canal-side solar walk - Misc link - Leaflet download (410 KB) .

There are a couple round here I can think of:

GC1480G - NEATH CANAL CACHE

GC19DDC - Old Sentrys past (on the canal - just not named as such)

GC19DB7 - Giants Grave

All three are on the Neath Canal that's been abandoned for many years so not directly attractive to the original thread - but they're on a recognisable canal nonetheless.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

There are a couple round here I can think of:

GC1480G - NEATH CANAL CACHE

GC19DDC - Old Sentrys past (on the canal - just not named as such)

GC19DB7 - Giants Grave

All three are on the Neath Canal that's been abandoned for many years so not directly attractive to the original thread - but they're on a recognisable canal nonetheless.

I've had a look at the Neath Canal and apparently there's only a few miles of it open. However, most of it is still shown on the O.S. maps so I've created a route for it anyway. :huh::D

I've recently places a few near canals. I live near Market Harborough and thats right next to Foxton locks lovely place to go canal boating! I've put near Welford lock, Theddingworth and Husbands bosworth all along the canals or close by at least plush there are a few nice caches in Market Harborough itself <_<

I wonder if you could do one for certain canal routes - like the four counties ring? <_<

Most of the four counties has already been done but in sections:-

Shropshire Union Canal - Autherley Junction to Norbury Junction

Shropshire Union Canal - Norbury Junction to Barbridge Junction

Shropshire Union Canal - Middlewich Branch

Trent & Mersey Canal - Middlewich to Hardings Wood

Trent & Mersey Canal - Hardings Wood to Etruria

Trent & Mersey Canal - Etruria to Great Haywood

The only part thats missing is Staffs and Worcs Penkridge -Great Haywood.

The boat People

Another navigable canal is the Chelmer and Blackwater in Essex. It starts at Chelmsford and ends at one of my all-time favourite places, Heybridge Basin near Maldon, where sea-going boats can lock out to the River Blackwater.

Helen in Mustardland has placed a series along most of the length, the Chelmer Navigation Series, and there's a few other caches along the way as well.

Here's a link to one of the caches, and some lovely pictures here

I wonder if you could do one for certain canal routes - like the four counties ring? :lol:

The boat People

Oops forgot that :lol:

Have now uploaded the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal - Autherley Junction to Great Haywood.

Will try and get some more canals plotted soon but have a busy week ahead at the mo. Any more specific requests? If so, post them here and I'll get round to them :rolleyes:

I wonder if you could do one for certain canal routes - like the four counties ring? :lol:

The boat People

Oops forgot that :lol:

Have now uploaded the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal - Autherley Junction to Great Haywood.

Will try and get some more canals plotted soon but have a busy week ahead at the mo. Any more specific requests? If so, post them here and I'll get round to them :rolleyes:

Thanks muchly to both - looking forward to doing the whole ring in the coming months, so will get a lot of boat people caches done!

ZoomLens

After an e-mail from the Free Timers I have now created a route for the Leeds & Liverpool canal. I've split it into around 7 parts plus two additional ones for some side branches.

Unfortunately I cannot upload the routes! I've tried several times and can't get it work. Does anyone know if there's any problems with the system?

Thanks ;)