A Muggle Find

esseneth

I'll go first...

My brothers own a metaphysical bookstore. One of their regulars came in last week and was talking about what a spiritual experience she had on her trip to Arizona. She went on and on about vortexes, spirits, and such.

Then she started talking about a hike that she was on. She talked about the beautiful scenery. She said she looked up and saw a box in a tree. The gods had given her a gift. She couldn't believe how blessed she was. She opened it and found all kinds of rocks, amulets, and talismans. Right on top was a rose quartz. The gods were handing her a gift. They really wanted her to have this gift. She took the rock, closed the box, and put it back.

My brother said he had to really concentrate to keep from laughing. He finally chimed in and told her that she should Google geocaching. She wanted to know what it was. He told her to just do it, she'd find out. Then after constant pressure he finally had to give her a brief summery.

He told me that she didn't seem to "connect the dots."

So if you have a missing rose quartz from your geocache in Arizona just tell yourself that it's on a "spiritual journey" in Colorado.

Here is one from our only physical cache in Egypt. We had to rent camels and ride an hour and a half to go around the wall surrounding the pyramids at Giza. Of course, the camels came with their owner and his nephew, who just couldn't figure out why we wanted to ride a camel that long...So I figured eventually we would have to tell them what we were doing since they kept on asking why I was looking at the GPS all the time.

Anyway, we explained we were looking for a hidden box called a cache, they initially thought we were there to loot antiquities or there was money hidden in the desert. We then explained that it was a game and other people had hidden the box for us and others to find. We said there would be nothing of value, that it was just a game. They seemed ok with that. Then we closed in on the area and got off the camels to 'get the kinks out' and walked the rest of the way to the cache. They were really excited that we had actually found it and it actually looked like a treasure box. Someone had put money in it :huh: so they were even more excited. If I might interject here, please don't put money in caches in extremely poor countries!!!!! After signing the log we got back on our camels and made our way back to the pyramids. A two hour trip but worth every second!

After doing my research and getting required permissions I placed the final stage of a multi in a holding pasture for our local agribition and rodeo grounds. It was a 5 gallon pail filled with assorted goodies. however one of the locals took it upon himself to 'protect' the pasture, confronting several of the cachers that came searching - (being in cowboy country firearms are not unusual accessories ) - fortunately one of the cachers knew me and also explained to him what this game was all about. Later that week we were talking over coffee, and he started talking about my cache - said he went and had a look - checked out the stash and even signed the log - thot it was a neat game idea and now was looking forward to seeing others stumble about as he put it - case in point were being honest paid off - the guy refered to himself as 'the friendly muggler' :lol:

There is a cache in a local park which has some apparently bad coordinates, judging by the path going across the creek and back and forth by someone's back fence. Several people have DNFed the cache -- probably the same ones who crossed the creek.

Anyway, we found the cache and as I was looking over the log I saw where one of the neighborhood kids found it and signed the log. Thought it was cool he didn't trash it or steal it.

My roommates son (8 years old at the time) was so excited when I introduced him to Geocaching. He did a really good job not telling anyone about it. However, one day he was out with friends. They were telling him about this treasure they found. When he realized what it was he told them that they needed to make sure they put it back right where they found it. His friends took him too it and he made sure that everything was okay with it. He was so proud of himself he came home and told me all about it. He forgot to sign the log. He said he would go back another time and do it when no one was around.

The log of one I found last weekend had most recently been signed by a grade school class. It read something about a couple boys finding it and excitedly telling their class about it. The teacher decided to have the class do a fieldtrip to it and learn more about the sport.

That has to bee a cool teacher!

A friend of mine's been "curious" about geocaching for a couple of months now... he's been reluctant to sign up for the free account, was having a bit of trouble finding his handheld GPS, etc... of course, giving him a "proper" introduction is further complicated by the fact that he now lives a good 500+ miles away. Anyway, I checked out some caches in his area and, low and behold, there are some that I think I can "pick out" from the safety of my machine and google maps -- so I offered to try to give him "an intro" the next time he was at his son's ballpark while I try to verbally guide him to a cache.

Anyway... a couple weeks pass and he calls me, says he "found" his first cache. The funny thing... it was on his doorstep. Apparently the young daughter of a neighbor had "found this cool pine cone" and, embedded in the bottom of the thing was a bison tube complete with log and was doing the "look what *I* found" thing (in typical 5yo fashion). Anyway, he called me yesterday and relayed this story to me... I thought it was pretty funny.

In any case, I finally talked him in to signing up on the website and I helped him locate the cache (and owner) who are now short one container and log sheet. Surprisingly enough, there was NOT a "this is a geocache not a bomb" sheet with the cache, or even a reference ID on the cache... luckily the little girl managed to take this to someone that had heard about geocaching and even had an idea on someone to call -- after that, it was just a bit of brute force.

:P

Some caches have been placed in state parks across Kansas by the Dept of Wildlife and Parks. The coordinates for the cache have been out on the KDWP website for a couple of weeks, but they weren't part of the gc.com site until the past couple of days. They are all 2-stage multi-caches with log books in each stage. Last Friday, I was the F(irst)TF on the second stage of one of the caches. I was, however, the F(ourth)TF the first stage. It wasn't hidden tremendously well and since it is a likely place for people to hang out, it was found my muggles (probably kids, since I don't know too many adults around here named Kiley). Three people had signed that log before me.

I was looking for a cache that required climbing gear. There were a few people climbing nearby, and after a short conversation I mentioned why I was there. The climber knew exactly what I was looking for - and where it was. I asked him for some general hints, and whether I was rappelling down in the right spot. He said (and rather nicely)

Wouldn't that be cheating ? Then whats the point in looking for it?
:)

He asked about the accuracy of the GPS, and I said usually about 20-30 feet or so, and then he told me that was about how far away it was. I did find it on the second rappel.

I thought it was funny that a non-cacher would infer that I was cheating. I noticed in the logbook that one set of climbers had found it accidentally,(probably him) and another climber had retrieved it, and signed in another cacher who couldn't make the last few feet.. :)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

We found one in Big basin, where a girl letting nature call found it. She seemed so excited in her log, which took up a good page or so of the sign in book. We had a good chuckle about that. And then there was the one that was out in the open, and a muggle (or we really hope) had left a marijuana pipe and written "someone feel free to smoke a bowl on us." Needless to say I took the pipe and disposed of it.

me and a few friends went on a cache run in east Montgomery, AL yesterday. After I found the Disc golf in the sticks (GC191Z9) cache, my friend (didgameta) noticed an odd entry by a man named Ian who was in town for a funeral. He talked about how absolutely amazed he was to find this box of random treasures while taking a stroll through the woods. He said some stuff about the man who died, then mentioned his business that he owns a detailed what he decided to leave in the box. He left two cigarettes, two condoms, and a discount card for his business. After leaving i realized that i probably should have found and disposed of those items as they aren't exactly appropriate geocaching trade items. I'll probably stop by next time I'm on that side of town.

A new cacher, found a cache while on vacation down in the Virgin Islands. It happened to be Captain Morgan's Treasure Cache, but he didn't find it with a GPS, He found it with a Metal Detector! He noted the location, and when he got back here to Connecticut, he did a google maps search, and gave me the coodinates. (d, m, s.sss) I converted them to D, m.mmm, and found the cache closest. He's still trying to find a decent GPSr, but he'll get into the hobby quick enough.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Couldn't find the cache in the place it was supposed to be as the metal post had been removed, but I found the cache attached to a nearby post. Last log entry was written by maintainance people who had accidently found the cache! I signed the log and went on my way, and told the cache owner when I got home. She went to check the cache later that day and the metal post had been replaced and cache replaced again by the maintainance people, aww how nice of them! Amusingly enough, the maintainance company was called Geotechnics! :o

LOVED two of the logs in the book of a cache I visited. One was by a park ranger who was cleaning up pine needles and found it.

The other one... SO cute.

Dear Someone,

We found this treasure. It was a lot of fun finding this.

It was signed by a bunch of kids. awwwwww

I tracked down a standard cache, located along a path in a small wetlands near an elementary school. the log was signed by Mrs *****'s kindergarden class who were excited to have found the "fairy box" in the tree while they were out walking with teacher.

A church group or boy scouts (dont remember which) were cleaning up a parking lot. My cache friend hid a cache under a pine tree (he works for the parent company of the store). As the group was cleaning, one boy found it, opened and saw what is was. He signed the log and put it back. Even went home and logged onto GC site and posted that he found it by accident and that he was a muggle and knew nothing of caching. Thought it was very cool.

I have yet to have one of my caches found, signed, and put back by a muggle. They usually get muggled and are never seen again...lol

We have quite many caches on places where three or more countys borders meet. Last summer I happened to find one with logbook containing a note from actual geodetic measurement company guys checking nearby measurement point. Cool thing tho was that they also added exact coordinates based on their own info!

It is really good to see that people taking this extra step not only to replace cache but also contribute -- kind of restores your faith in people after finding multiple caches vandalized..