Google Earth 4.3.7191.6508 & Geocaching KML

Anyone else having problems with the KML since upgrading to Google Earth 4.3.7191.6508?

Occasionally, the proper cache type icon will display for me, but immediately flips back to the pushpin icon. I had this problem quite a while back and loading a new instance of the kml fixed the issue for me, but no luck with that since going to the new version of Google Earth.

Any suggestions for fixing this?

This isn't a new problem. It's been broken for about two years. The site generates invalid KML and it's been discussed many times.

The invalid KML adds duplicate IDs which are invalid. IDs were added in Earth4 and they must be unique. Pair that with the bad Link/URL syntax and it's not a recipe for success.

I just avoid this feature and download pocket queries which import beautifully into Earth, have accurate coords, and can be downloaded into my favorite devices.

I use the terrain/imagery in the "Geocaching.com Google Maps'" (link on every cache page) for overviews of scouting an area w/o queueing up a PQ.

Anyone else having problems with the KML since upgrading to Google Earth 4.3.7191.6508?

Occasionally, the proper cache type icon will display for me, but immediately flips back to the pushpin icon. I had this problem quite a while back and loading a new instance of the kml fixed the issue for me, but no luck with that since going to the new version of Google Earth.

Any suggestions for fixing this?

I just upgraded to Google Earth 4.3.7204.0836 (beta) and had the same problem. Even tried some different versions and they used push pin or switched after one time.

The fix was when I downloaded the geocache browser in Google Earth the last time, I switched the Open With selection from Google Earth.exe to Google Earth.kmlfile(default) and the caches all appeared with the correct icons. The original push pin version was still in My Places list so both sets of icons were there. I deleted the one generating push pins and saved the changes to My Places when exiting Google Earth. So far it works when I open Google Earth for a new session. Hope this helps others

F-f

I just avoid this feature and download pocket queries which import beautifully into Earth, have accurate coords, and can be downloaded into my favorite devices.

I use the terrain/imagery in the "Geocaching.com Google Maps'" (link on every cache page) for overviews of scouting an area w/o queueing up a PQ.

Slightly off topic here and maybe a stupid question but is there a way to print the Google maps on Geocaching.com to show all the caches in a given area? Have been searching the forums for this topic and you were the closest! If I print the screen only a small portion of the map prints, right click/print doesn't work either. Any ideas?

milosheart

Thanks for reporting this - I downloaded a new KML (mandatory) and I confirm that it is now fully OK.

Matt

The switching yellow pushpin problem was never a problem with Earth. It was fixed by Groundspeak last week.

Ditto!! Thanks so much for reporting this! I've been staring at those yellow pushpins for way too long.. I was so glad when I downloaded the fixed KML a moment ago and got the right icons -- f i n a l l y. SWEET!!

:D:D:D

I was playing with the new beta release of Google Earth version 5. The generic yellow pushpins are back..

I guess it's a question of compatibility, since the new problem affects the windows and macos version as well.

It could also be a design choice on the side of Google : the "customized" icons are still displaying correctly but only when hovering them with the mouse...

I was playing with the new beta release of Google Earth version 5. The generic yellow pushpins are back..

I guess it's a question of compatibility, since the new problem affects the windows and macos version as well.

It could also be a design choice on the side of Google : the "customized" icons are still displaying correctly but only when hovering them with the mouse...

The yellow pins show up everytime I move the map but I can get the icons back by doing a right-click refresh of the "Geocaching Network KML" file. That is annoying.

It wasn't a conscious choice of Google to hose Groundspeak or any other KML author.

If no valid StyleMap/IconStyle is given, a larger yellow pushpin is provided as the default hover-over style.

Earth 5 is just parsing invalid KML differently; referencing a style id that doesn't exist really should have never "worked".

If no valid StyleMap/IconStyle is given, a larger yellow pushpin is provided as the default hover-over style.

Earth 5 is just parsing invalid KML differently; referencing a style id that doesn't exist really should have never "worked".

Do you mean that the KML file is poorly written ? I just sent an email to geocaching's staff... Since this feature is reserved to paying users, I believe we could expect a bit more reactivity to solve such bugs ! :)

I hope they will answer... and release a new KML file...

Matthieu