Do you log a DNF as a FOUND if cache is not there?

chu baca

I had seen someone log a cache that wasn't there due to construction...

I logged it as DNF because i didn't FIND it, but someone after me logged it as FOUND even though the cache was not there...

What happened was the log was under some steps and I guess they(the steps) were reconcreted and thus buried the cache or they threw it away in the process....

Is that considered found????

I looked for quite awhile and logged a DNF?

What is proper geocaching etiquette here?

No, it's not a find. I had a cache on my list that wasn't there (most likely muggled). I waited a month or so and it was still MIA. I contacted the hider and asked if I could replace it, he had no problem with it, back in action and I claimed the find after confirming it's previous location with the owner.

I had seen someone log a cache that wasn't there due to construction...

I logged it as DNF because i didn't FIND it, but someone after me logged it as FOUND even though the cache was not there...

What happened was the log was under some steps and I guess they(the steps) were reconcreted and thus buried the cache or they threw it away in the process....

I looked for quite awhile and logged a DNF?

What is proper geocaching etiquette here?

If you didn't sign the log for what ever reason I log it as a DNF or a note.

Like one I found today.

icon_note.gifApril 27 by FunnyNose (5651 found)

I wasn't planning on caching today but had my GPSr on me with an unfound cache nearby where I was at.. Unfortunately I didn't have a pen or any other writing implement with me so that I could SL so I can't log this a find yet, also didn't have anything sharp enough to draw blood or I would have left some DNA. I'll be back..

Edited by FunnyNose

I don't really have a geo-morality issue with folks who want to log a cache's former location as a find. It's not how I play but hey, it's their game too!

The problem is when you use a secondary program to manage your queries (like GSAK) and a "false" smilie can send you off after a cache that isn't, in fact, there :huh:

If the cache wasn't available to be found, then you are quite unlikely to have found it.

If you found the correct location but not the cache, then you still didn't find it. It doesn't matter if the cache was there the day before, or if the cache was replaced an hour later, the fact of the matter is that you didn't find it. Hence it's a DNF.

If it helps, there's no penalty for logging DNFs nor does logging a DNF imply that you are a bad cacher or, indeed, that the cache owner is a bad hider, it's simply a matter of what happened that time around.

If you didn't find the cache then log it that way.

Are you sure it was under the steps and not hiden in a deviously clever spot?

Yes. Actually I know because the owner sent me a message saying where it was & I am guessing the other person got a message to by their reply.

I have been there on 2 occasions and haven't found it yet. Of course I only log 1 DNF per cache and I might log how many DNF's I had(prior to) when i get to mark it as found.

You did the right thing. You didn't find the cache so you logged a DNF.

I never for the life of me could understand why people would log finds for caches they didn't find. The sport is about finding geocaches, not where they were, or where you think they might have been.

Of course, that's not a find. No one has logged Jimmy Hoffa yet, and he's been buried under concrete for decades! :huh:
That's actually an excellent name for the new cache type, a Hoffa cache!

You guys on the wrong side of the cache today? :D gosh that's mean. It was a little funny to read it of course (the new Hoffa cache- and I wouldnt put it past my son to develope something like this, so watch out), but it really is confusing to us newbies to KNOW a cache is NOT there and then see someone post a find. I can tell this one is a sticky issue, so I;m gonna hop on outta here now.......

Ahhh, but see just because you can't find it doesn't mean its not there. We once found a cache that had been decimated by construction and the can had been flung into nearby woods. We gathered up what we could, put the cache as close as we safely could to its original hide, left our own log (signed of course), logged it as FOUND and notified the cache owner of the situation. He fixed it and all was well.

But, the bottom line is, we DID find the cache even though it wasn't in its proper place - it was just a more extreme form of cache migration!

I would definately log as a DNF and include details about why it was a DNF. When my daughter was younger I relied on the DNF logs to know which hides she may be bored by. I can llok around for 2 hours in the rain, she used to lose interest after about 5 minutes - now I don't need to worry, she usually has cache-in-hand before I get within 100'.

It is a game that you can play by your own rules but I think of DNF logs as a courtesy to other cachers and the owners, as well as a source of amusement for the ones who ohave been there, done that. I will log multiple DNF's for the same cache if I try to locate it multiple times, think my record is 4 DNF's on one cache. (did finally find it though).