City Navigator DVD

I am looking to buy the City Navigator maps for a Legend HCx. I'm wondering what the DVD that you can buy for it does. Does it download the maps to your GPS (which you can't do with a Legend due to there being no built in memory) or does it allow you to download them to a mini SD card of your own? I'm wondering this because it would be useful to get the DVD so I can download a second copy to a mini SD card if I lose the one I originally downloaded to.

I am looking to buy the City Navigator maps for a Legend HCx. I'm wondering what the DVD that you can buy for it does. Does it download the maps to your GPS (which you can't do with a Legend due to there being no built in memory) or does it allow you to download them to a mini SD card of your own? I'm wondering this because it would be useful to get the DVD so I can download a second copy to a mini SD card if I lose the one I originally downloaded to.

Mapsource will allow you to load maps onto a MicroSD card for your GPS. If you lose the card you can load up another one but the maps will be tied to your one specific GPS unless you buy another unlock code for another GPS unit. It also allows you to use the maps on your computer and to save/view/load tracks/waypoints/routes to/from your GPS.

Mapsource will allow you to load maps onto a MicroSD card for your GPS. If you lose the card you can load up another one but the maps will be tied to your one specific GPS unless you buy another unlock code for another GPS unit. It also allows you to use the maps on your computer and to save/view/load tracks/waypoints/routes to/from your GPS.

So the DVD will load them onto your computer so you can put them on a micro SD through Mapsource?

So the DVD will load them onto your computer so you can put them on a micro SD through Mapsource?

Yes. It's the data used with a Garmin program called MapSource. MapSource reads the map info and loads what you want onto your device/SD card.

The MapSource program is updated and there's been no additional charge for their constant updates. There is a charge to update the map data though.

I'm glad I saw this as I had some of the same questions. I have 400t and was going to ny the CN NT and wanted to make sure it was on my computer so I could only install the areas I wanted. As I don't plan on going to HI, AK, Peurto Rico, or Canada too soon I believe I can save a lot of room on my Colorado. If I am reading this correctly as long as I have the software I can re-enter/delete whenever I want.

If I am reading this correctly as long as I have the software I can re-enter/delete whenever I want.

Yes. But if you get a large enough SD card, you can load the entire City Navigator data & Topo data and not ever worry about it. But yes, you can re-send whatever map segments you want, whenever you want, as often as you want.

Thanks. From what I have been told the CO's internal memory is large enough to house the entire CN NT with room still left for caches.

You may want to double-check this - I think the internal memory only stores waypoints, tracks, & routes. Unless I'm mistaken, Garmin units with SD slots store map data on the SD card - no memory card, no map. Colorado may be different, but that's how the 60-series works.