400t Newbie questions

Ok, I can download cache by cache to my new 400t (my first GPS ever), but that is slow. When I check multiple boxes and click to download the waypoints it sends it to GSAK no problem, but when I click to sent the waypoints to my gps I get the following error. is this a problem with program or did I set something up wrong.

---------------------------

Error

Error sending waypoints:

[ERROR] SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces: No more data is available.

Is the Garmin USB unit number 0 powered up and connected?

Is it really a USB unit? If it's serial, don't choose USB, choose serial.[ERROR] Get_Time: Unknown date/time protocol

GARMIN:Can't init usb:

OK

You're a Premium Member.

Why aren't you running pocket queries?

You can easily run a pocket query that will give you one file with 500 geocaches that is easily downloaded to your computer, unzipped, and then dragged and dropped into your Garmin Colorado. Five minutes from when you submit your PQ (provided your shoes are on and tied), you're out the door to go geocaching.

The term newbie is an understatement. I had read in multiple site the need and eas of GSAK and thought that was needed for all GPS. A friend just walked me through my first query but he nothing about the colorado. I am uninstalling GSAK and am hoping that I can now send multiple caches as one time. I literally know nothing about these so am learning via reading and trial and error.

I wouldn't get rid of GSAK. That's the best tool you have besides the Colorado, unless of course you want to just drive in the country and randomly find caches. But, if you're only wanting to find 20 or so caches total (lifetime), you won't need GSAK, but then why did you get a Colorado?

GSAK is a high-end tool that you'll learn in time. Don't abandon it now.

That's fine being a newbie. We're all newbies in some sense.

Play around with the settings on the pocket queries and see what's involved in the process. Once you're ready, submit a query centered about a cache or interest and get the closest 500 caches that you've not found and do not own.

Feel free to e-mail me questions about this process and the various choices. Selecting these give sometimes subtle, but powerful differences. There are some pitfalls as well. You only get 5 each day, so do these with care, learning while you go.

Don't be worried -- you can't break anything!

lifeonedge@gmail.com (Pat or Patrick)

Prior to seeing your response I uninstalled GSAK to see what would happen if I checked multiple boxes and tried to download those waypoints. This worked well and went through MapSource that came with it, but this only set the caches as waypoints and submitted none of the cache info. I did one querry and will see what happens when I download that, hopefully it will work perfectly. If the person above is correct GSAK doesn't work with the colorado, but if there is a way I have no problems re-installing.

As to my intentions, between living in the N. Georgia mountains and monthly traveling for work I plan on doing this alot. I am prepping for a 4 day stay along the MA Cape for "work" on the 3rd and will have lots of time to get out and about, therefore the reason I am trying to figure this thing out. Thanks for all the input.

PS If anyone reading this is in the Dahlonega, GA area and knows of any clubs to join please email me.

Prior to seeing your response I uninstalled GSAK to see what would happen if I checked multiple boxes and tried to download those waypoints. This worked well and went through MapSource that came with it, but this only set the caches as waypoints and submitted none of the cache info. I did one querry and will see what happens when I download that, hopefully it will work perfectly. If the person above is correct GSAK doesn't work with the colorado, but if there is a way I have no problems re-installing.

As to my intentions, between living in the N. Georgia mountains and monthly traveling for work I plan on doing this alot. I am prepping for a 4 day stay along the MA Cape for "work" on the 3rd and will have lots of time to get out and about, therefore the reason I am trying to figure this thing out. Thanks for all the input.

PS If anyone reading this is in the Dahlonega, GA area and knows of any clubs to join please email me.

Correct. Those files only contain minimal information on the caches. What you need are .gpx files, which come via pocket queries. Remember, the single file that you get by requesting a pocket query, once unzipped, can be dropped into the Colorado with no other program or alteration needed. This will give you 500 caches that are loaded and ready to go.

While GSAK can be used to transfer cache information to your GPS unit, you don't need it for that (unless you want to try something a little different, as mentioned above), but will serve as a very useful tool. At the moment, for your needs, you only need the .gpx file from a pocket query request, a computer, the USB cable, and your GPS unit.

Bless you Life! I just ran a querry and sent the gpx file straight from my email to my colorado and have all 500 caches for my trip next week! This was much faster than one by one as I was doing it. I appreciate the time you spent answering my questions, while these is still a lot to learn (it needs a bigger manual), you have saved me lots of time in trial and error just to get started.

Bless you Life! I just ran a querry and sent the gpx file straight from my email to my colorado and have all 500 caches for my trip next week! This was much faster than one by one as I was doing it. I appreciate the time you spent answering my questions, while these is still a lot to learn (it needs a bigger manual), you have saved me lots of time in trial and error just to get started.

You're most welcome.

As an added bonus, go back in to geocaching.com, my accounts page (click on your game name on the top right of any page), look in the right margin for the pocket queries link and click on that, THEN look for the Preview in Google Maps under the Preview heading and click on that. This will generate a map of the area you are interested in with the geocaches listed as icons on this map. You can zoom down and pan on this map for additional planning.

Look for groups of caches near areas you know you'll be nearby. Play around with that. Its very helpful, especially if you choose to ignore caches found by you (in the pocket query) and then post Find logs on these caches. You can return to this preview link and see the updated information. Found caches disappear from the map, leaving you with caches of interest to you.