Editing Google Earth Route

We are heading out camping next weekend. I created a route on Google earth for a pocket query along a route. BUT the route that Google Earth picked is not the fastest way to get there. So I can create a google earth file for one part of the route and then another for the other. And then run two queries.

But what I would like to know is if there is any way to edit the route of the Google Earth directions?

Or is there another mapping program or online mapping source that gives you the route details of a kml file.

I thought that mapsource did this but all I could accomplish was a point to point path file even though the map showed the correct autoroute along the road.

i had the same isue a while back...clink on the printable view link in google earth and it will open up a google maps page in internet explorer. here you can drag and change portions of the route.

goto the following page and about half way down is a box/link for gmaptogpx. right click and bookmark this link.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

once you have your route created in google maps, click the link. it creates a text file that you then copy and paste into a notepad file. save it as "routename".gpx and then you can upload it as a gpx file into geocaching.com for caches along a route.

I thought that mapsource did this but all I could accomplish was a point to point path file even though the map showed the correct autoroute along the road.

MapSource is WAY easier to use than Google Earth if you have your options set correctly. A very wise man has outlined the best way to do this here, on Markwell's FAQ page.

The html format for Step 9 is messed up on his page, and it's missing the image, but you should still be able to follow it.

I found a way to do this, but it's pretty hokey --

I use a Garmin GPS V, and when I create a route in MapSource, then upload it to my GPS, Google Earth Plus gives me the option of downloading that exact route to Google Earth. It works, gives me the same route in Google Earth, the GPS, and for my PQ, but as I said, it's kinda hokey.

7 3

... But what I would like to know is if there is any way to edit the route of the Google Earth directions?

Or is there another mapping program or online mapping source that gives you the route details of a kml file.

Geocaching and Route Planning

Golden Horseshoe Geocachers - ARC Builder

Instructions for selecting caches along a route by selecting waypoints on the map in Mapsource.

Using Streets & Trips to Generate Routes For Geocaching

**** Routing In Google Earth

To do this in Google Earth break your route up into segments to follow the path you want and save each segment as a separate KML with a unique name. Keep track of the sequence of files because the data needs to be kept in order from the start of your route to the end (A to B, B to C, C to D, etc.)

The KML files files are in plain text and can be edited with simple text editors like Notepad or Wordpad. You'll notice that each file consists of a header with a few lines of information, then a long list of coordinates for the route then a footer.

Open the file for the first segment of your route and save it under a new name (for example MyRoute.kml). Open the file for the second segment of your route and copy the coordinates between the <coordinates> and </coordinates> tags. Paste this data into the MyRoute.kml file after the existing coordinates and before the </coordinates> tag. Repeat for as many segments/files as you have being sure to save the MyRoute.kml file once it is complete.

Upload this KML file into the "Caches along a Route" and you're done.

For an example see Using Google Earth to Generate Routes For Geocaching

goto the following page and about half way down is a box/link for gmaptogpx. right click and bookmark this link.

once you have your route created in google maps, click the link. it creates a text file that you then copy and paste into a notepad file. save it as "routename".gpx and then you can upload it as a gpx file into geocaching.com for caches along a route.

Thanks for the link, pairadice, that's exactly what I was searching for. I don't have MapSource or Streets and Maps, and I don't really want the huge program that is Google Earth on my small laptop. This bypasses all of that and lets me create a simple .gpx file directly from Google Maps that will upload to the Caching Along a Route GC.com webpage. (Other attempts at converting to a .gpx file using GPS Visualizer didn't create a file that would upload for me.)

i had the same isue a while back...clink on the printable view link in google earth and it will open up a google maps page in internet explorer. here you can drag and change portions of the route.

This is by far the best method I have used in order to obtain the exact route I want for a Caches along a route PQ !

Thanks a lot pairadice for sharing this information with us.