How can a coin disappear from my inventory?

BluEyz and Bugsy

We (BluEyz and Bugsy) had a geocoin that was traveling around Africa and then it suddenly disappeared from our inventory. How can this happen? No one is authorized to deactivate it. Unfortunately we do not have the geocoin number so we can't trace it that way. I'm sure Groundspeak is too busy to be tracking coins when we don't have the number. I guess the geocoin is gone. But how did it happen?????

We (BluEyz and Bugsy) had a geocoin that was traveling around Africa and then it suddenly disappeared from our inventory. How can this happen? No one is authorized to deactivate it. Unfortunately we do not have the geocoin number so we can't trace it that way. I'm sure Groundspeak is too busy to be tracking coins when we don't have the number. I guess the geocoin is gone. But how did it happen?????

Try looking for an old log, from that you can find the coins page, maybe you can find more information from that.

Did you drop it off and not have a chance to log it yet? Someone may have grabbed it from you, or it could have been done inadvertently if someone logged another trackable with the wrong number, and it being the number on the coin in question.

What coin was it? Is it your own coin?

Typically the inventory on your account page only lists the bugs/coins that you have in hand. As soon as you drop one of them in a cache they fall off the inventory But you've been watching this travel so it clearly wasn't in your inventory.

To track Travelers that you own go to your My Accounts page and click on the Travel Bugs (Mine) link at the top of the page. All your activated bugs and coins will be listed. If your coin does not show up there you've got a problem as it got adopted away without your knowledge.

Edit: I just checked your trackable list and of the 3 coins you have activated only 1 is travelling - in Holland. Do you have more than 3 activated coins? Was this a coin that belonged to someone else? If so you probably got bumped off its Watch List.

Edited by Droo

Edit: I just checked your trackable list and of the 3 coins you have activated only 1 is travelling - in Holland. Do you have more than 3 activated coins? Was this a coin that belonged to someone else? If so you probably got bumped off its Watch List.

Yes! We have released several other coins that we registered properly. We received notification of their travels for a while and then they stopped. We started leaving geocoins in early 2002, and as newbies, we were not smart enough to keep track of all of their numbers. The coin in question in my post was in Namibia and then it was travelling around Germany and then it disappeared from sight. Perhaps the geocoins got into caches and were stolen so the cache owner reported them missing.

Yes! We have released several other coins that we registered properly. We received notification of their travels for a while and then they stopped. We started leaving geocoins in early 2002, and as newbies, we were not smart enough to keep track of all of their numbers. The coin in question in my post was in Namibia and then it was travelling around Germany and then it disappeared from sight. Perhaps the geocoins got into caches and were stolen so the cache owner reported them missing.

If a cache owner moves a coin or TB into the "missing" category then you get an email. (I'm pretty sure) You would also still have the icon in your inventory with a big question mark to indicate "location unknown".

Have you checked your trackables page in your profile?

Are you sure the coins were registered on this site? I think there are other sites who track numbered coins too.

If you are sure you registered them here then I think you'd have to turn this over to TPTB. I don't think anyone could adopt your coins without your permission.

That is definitely weird. (and scary). Keep us posted.

Here are a few questions ...

Is the coin your coin?

If not, who did it belong to?

Maybe the owner (if not you) traded the coin out and adopt it to someone else...

Can you tell us the name of the coin/tb?

Where you seen it last?

Did you discover the coin? If so you should have it in your discovers, unless it was adopted to someone that deleted the logs on the coin...

Holly

Cache Agent

Okay. I think I have it pinned down now. The geocoins that we don't get notified about are all the old gold "generic" looking coins that we purchased from geocaching.com years ago. We did record their numbers and we did get notification about them for a long time.

BTW, everyone has been wonderful about making suggestions. Good people, the geocachers! Thanks everyone.

If you were getting log notifications via email perhaps you still have an old email with a log...from there you could forward the email to Groundspeak and see if they can locate the problem. A few days ago the forums were down for maintenance so maybe there was some kind of glitch and it was accidentally removed??

I don't know the history of coins that far back but geocaching.com was selling coins back then??

Okay. I think I have it pinned down now. The geocoins that we don't get notified about are all the old gold "generic" looking coins that we purchased from geocaching.com years ago. We did record their numbers and we did get notification about them for a long time.

BTW, everyone has been wonderful about making suggestions. Good people, the geocachers! Thanks everyone.

Did they look like this?

I only had some old images handy.

df1c0bf6-bcdc-496a-8afe-156c004267a9.jpg