Flying with your GPS

toothfaker

i travel to vermont for business. I live in Nebraska. Has any one taken their GPS with them post 911??

I assume it would be a big hassle. I would not put it in checked baggage because of fear of being stolen. Mine is an expensive model. Carry on seems like it would attract a ton of negative attention as to why you have this on a plane. It would definately set off the metal detectors. I would love to cache on my time off during my trips out there.

Toothfaker,

Edited by toothfaker

i travel to vermont for business. I live in Nebraska. Has any one taken their GPS with them post 911??

I assume it would be a big hassle. I would not put it in checked baggage because of fear of being stolen. Mine is an expensive model. Carry on seems like it would attract a ton of negative attention as to why you have this on a plane. It would definately set off the metal detectors. I would love to cache on my time off during my trips out there.

Toothfaker,

No big or even little hassle at all. I've taken mine to England three times. It goes through x-ray like my camera and laptop.

sherlockette

Ditto, roundtrip to Peru a few weeks ago. Threw GPS on the tray with coins and car keys.

In the past, security only made me turn on/off the GPS once.

Also have turned it on in the airplane. Can't get a signal in the middle of the plane, but window seat is no problem with a monochrome Vista.

I work in the airport security business, and I echo what the others have said it is just another piece of electornics.

If for some reason they do ask you why you have it on carry on you say, it is expensive so I don't want it in my checked luggage.

For more information on what you can and cannot carry on a plane, check out the TSA website, they have a list of do's and dont's.

I've flown about 6 times (all within the USA)since 9/11 with my GPS, Palm, camera and other electronic items The only item I have every had a questioned on was the DVD player. :huh: The sign says you only need to open and power up laptops. I have found that it is better to open the DVD player and carry all small electronic items in a separate easy open bag. I use small fanny pack. Someone I know works for the TSA in an international terminal and they will give these items a closer look. :D

both Northwest airlink and skywest, the airlines that fly out of Lnk which is also my home base give you permission to use your gps'r after the electronic signal has been turned off, I have found that it works better if you don't ask the flight crew, however it is your choice. You wil have no problem getting through security either.

both Northwest airlink and skywest, the airlines that fly out of Lnk which is also my home base give you permission to use your gps'r after the electronic signal has been turned off, I have found that it works better if you don't ask the flight crew, however it is your choice. You wil have no problem getting through security either.

I've never had a problem having it on my lap near the window in the past... but things have changed.

Last flight, US Airways from Portland, ME to Columbus, OH via Dulles, DC... we were over Long Island and the attendant sees the GPS and tells me to turn it off and put it away.

I explain it is NOT a transmitter and is not banned in their airline magazine. She insisted, so I complied.

In the seat behind me was a uniformed US Airways pilot deadheading to DC for another flight. She asked to see my Garmin eTrex HCx. She looked it over for an FCC rating, but found none. I wish the airlines would establish an industry wide policy to allow GPSr's to be operated in the cruise portion of a flight.

Here's a site with a list of airlines that allow and those that do not.

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

BB54

I travel a lot, and like everyone said, GPS is no problem... I thought I'd throw this out there for fun tough... the guys who do have a problem are the skydivers. TSA regs allow them to take thier VERY expensive equipment with them, and believe it or not, many have rigs that fit in the carry on bins. Here is where it gets fun... many of them also have an AAD (Automatic activation device) that is packed inside the 'special' part of thier rig that should only be opened by an FAA certified rigger, and is pretty expensive to have done. This handy little AAD is designed to detect a specific situation where the person is still falling too fast when they pass a certain altitude... this is the tiny computers cue that something is seriously wrong, so it opens thier reserve chute for them, since obviously, there is no one 'drivin the bus'. To do this, the final closing loop of the reserve passed through the AADs cutter before it goes out the flap and has the pin up through it to hold the chute shut. When the AAD is triggered, the cutter fires a very tiny charge that uses a mechanism similar to a cigar cutter to cut the cord, and a spring loaded pilot chute then makes a hasty exit to pull out the reserve chute and save the guys life....

Long ramble short, a parachute will set off the explosived detectors, but they are sill allowed if they look as they should in Xray. the end question is, is the device safe for the plane, and in the case of the parachute, and the GPS, the answer it yes.

I'm flying tomorrow and was curious about Northwest's GPS policy. Very informative thread.

... the end question is, is the device safe for the plane, and in the case of the parachute, and the GPS, the answer it yes.

Actually, no, the end question is, "Does the flight crew think the device is safe for the plane?" It doesn't matter if it's really safe or not (think fingernail clippers after 9/11).

A couple months ago, my GPSr came with me for our trip to Tokyo, Beijing, and Hong Kong. It was in my camera bag for all flights. Four countries and four airlines had no problems with it. I didn't use it during a flight while we were out of the US because the individual monitores all had the same info that I would get from my GPSr.

For what it's worth, I asked the Northwest flight attendant on my flight from Memphis to LA today if I could turn on my GPS receiver. She called the pilot, then said yes.

About 15 minutes later she came by my seat and asked out speed and location because he pilot was curious about how accurate my unit was as compared to his (not very because of poor reception inside a metal tube).

Edited by J-Way

I have been told by flight attendants to turn my GPSr off, which of course you need to comply with. While the chance of interference is fairly low, GPS receivers employ local oscillators that do emit RF into the environment, just like any radio receiver. It is possible (though quite unlikely) that these signals could interfere with aircraft navigation, so naturally airlines are paranoid about this.

Otherwise, carrying a GPSr onto a flight is almost never a problem as long as it is off.

I've taken mine on AA, UAL, USAirways, NWA, and Delta. Usually have it on for take off, then during the flight to see where we are, and then on landing. Never been told to turn it off.

Also take my cell phone and iPod and don't turn those off, either. Have observed others doing the same thing.

I have my GPS with me almost every time I travel, which is quite frequently. I never bother to carry it in the hand luggage, but always put it in the checked luggage.

Why would I like to use the GPS in the plane? I completely trust the pilots with knowing where we are and where we are going, and if I want to know myself, I can just turn on the moving map in the in-flight entertainment system

Didn't see this on the link provided in an earlier post, but I flew Frontier in Oct. 2008 from Denver to Portland and back. TSA was more concerned about the camcorder being out of the bag and clearly visible, and didn't say anything about the GPSr while going through security. While boarding, I asked the attendant about using it, she asked the pilot who told me "No". On the way back, had a chance to have a conversation with somone about it, ..."anything that transmits or receives a signal" must be turned off at all times. :ph34r: Frontier's take on it anyway.

I have my GPS with me almost every time I travel, which is quite frequently. I never bother to carry it in the hand luggage, but always put it in the checked luggage.

Why would I like to use the GPS in the plane? I completely trust the pilots with knowing where we are and where we are going, and if I want to know myself, I can just turn on the moving map in the in-flight entertainment system

While I agree with most of your post; I, personally, will never, ever put my GPS in checked baggage. There are too many horror stories of "lost" items. Just my opinion.

When flying Alaska Airlines last month, the flight attendant's prepared speech included a statement that use of many electronic items, including GPS receivers, were banned by "federal regulations." I thought that was interesting.

All electronic devices, cell phone, cameras, PDA. GPSr whatever, go in my carryon because I don't want them stolen or lost.

There are no"Federal Regulations" banning use of a GPS on a plane. Yes, you might run into airline personnel who think different but that's unlikely.

On a very long flight to South Africa last summer I amused myself by trying to mark waypoints as we crossed the E-W meridian, the equator, confluence points etc.

730693ba-87ae-411f-a906-1e3fe2afb187.jpg

339ff644-623e-4261-b9b7-7a95d4b970d8.jpg

No, we weren't flying that low. The unit has a barometric altimeter and it was reading the cabin pressure.

There are no"Federal Regulations" banning use of a GPS on a plane. Yes, you might run into airline personnel who think different but that's unlikely.

I agree, there are no regulations banning their use; it just seemed like they used that wording to stop people from complaining to them. "It ain't our fault, the goverment makes us do it." Their in-flight magazine did not imply federal regulations prevented the use of any electronics.

I do have one recommendation about electronics and your carry ons. After you have made it thru secruity & your getting ready to board the plane, use a luggage lock to secure you laptop bag (or what ever bag you are using). The reason for this is that about 5 months ago my Husband took an early morning flight from Los Angeles to Jackson Mississippi. Well he took a nap on the fight, and while he was sleeping someone went into the overhead bin and helped themselves to our digital camera (that I used for our caching photos) and the cell phone charger that was in the laptop bag.

I understand that it might be a pain in the backside to use the TSA luggage lock for your carry ons. But it's really upsetting to know that something was taken from you inside the plane. To me it was more of a pain in the backside getting a new camera, and knowing that the family pic's & the caching pic's from the week before were in some (insert your favorite "sailor blessing" here) hands.

I do have one recommendation about electronics and your carry ons. After you have made it thru secruity & your getting ready to board the plane, use a luggage lock to secure you laptop bag (or what ever bag you are using). The reason for this is that about 5 months ago my Husband took an early morning flight from Los Angeles to Jackson Mississippi. Well he took a nap on the fight, and while he was sleeping someone went into the overhead bin and helped themselves to our digital camera (that I used for our caching photos) and the cell phone charger that was in the laptop bag.

I understand that it might be a pain in the backside to use the TSA luggage lock for your carry ons. But it's really upsetting to know that something was taken from you inside the plane. To me it was more of a pain in the backside getting a new camera, and knowing that the family pic's & the caching pic's from the week before were in some (insert your favorite "sailor blessing" here) hands.

Also, if you are selected for additional searching while going through the security screening keep an eye (or have someone keep an eye) on your carry on which is going through on the machines. The whole bag and your electronics can vanish if your back is turned.