Find credit for cache needing maintenance.

DandyVol

When logging my visits I have noticed that when I indicate a cache needs maintenance, such as the log paper is full, I do not get credit for a find as I would have if I just selected "Found It". WHY?

Why would you assume that Needs Maintenance = Find?

One means Needs Maintenance. The other means Found. Log BOTH if you want both results.

I think because some people delete their maintenance logs when they fix the problem. If your find was based on that log, it would also get deleted. Plus, they're 2 totally separate issues, two different types of logs....keeps the logs simple.

So, I (and probably most people) usually post and find and a separate maintenance log (as long as the cache was still in good enough condition to be considered a cache...and a find....another topic....).

When logging my visits I have noticed that when I indicate a cache needs maintenance, such as the log paper is full, I do not get credit for a find as I would have if I just selected "Found It". WHY?

There is no reason for them to be the same. One says you found it, one says it needs maintenance. Perhaps if you look upon the Needs Maintenance as an attribute then it becomes clearer?

There are a couple of situations that separate the two logs.

Here's another...

Sometimes you may check on a cache you already FOUND....perhaps because you know the cacher who hid it, or because it's on a trail you are hiking on. If the cache needs a bit of repair, you would log the NEEDS MAINTENANCE log, but wouldn't want an additional FOUND.

When do you actually post a "Needs Maintenance" log. I was abused by a CO because I posted a needs maintenance log on one of their caches (a micro with a full log, and I did not have a replacement). She responded back to me that I should look back 3 months ago oto see that someone had already brought it to her attention that the log needed replaced.

I could have responded "If you've known for three months why haven't you replaced it?" Being the bigger person that I am I decided to just take it like a man. I went out and threw her stupid micro in the river instead. Just kidding.

I now usually only post needs maintenace if the cache is wet or damaged, I just post in my found log if the Log book is getting full.

The earlier answer is correct, you need to write two logs.

I just looked at a few of your find logs and see that you are already carrying extra log sheets with you. That is great! Taking this just one step further, actually doing the maintenance as a random act is something that cachers do around here a lot. Bringing a replacement log, extra baggies, a pen, all in an extra container all come in handy and will make some cache owner very happy someday. It will help you make friends too! You will probably never truly appreciate this until you get some hides out there and someone does it for you.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Team Geoblast makes a good point. It is getting very common for some geocachers to have well over 500 hides and you can just imagine how difficult it might get to keep up the maintenence on all of them! Recently we had the misfortune to find a damaged cache, (large), and nothing with us to replace it with, although it was a great location with infrequent visitors. We had no option but to log a Needs Maintenence on that one, and we hope that the owner can get up there to replace the container. We have since bought a bunch of lock n lock type containers and will have some with us in case this comes up again. It's a small price to pay to help out anybody who is out there hiding caches for us all.

Sometimes however, you get way too far from your supplies to make a return trip because of your schedule that day, so you log a Needs Maintenence then too... I just don't feel guilty about that, it's a part of the game we all take responsibility for. If you don't want to maintain your caches, you archive it as soon as it goes maintenence on you. Then it can be somebody elses' headache. Some caches are like that!

We recently found one that had been muggled and replaced 4 times! That's pretty high maintenence if you ask me!

No good reason.

You should like your find as a find and note in your find log the cache needs maintenance. An activeowner will read it just the same as a Needs Maintance log.

If the NM issue is severe then the NM log puts an attribute on the cache that can help other finders know the cache has a big enough problem. You won't get a find count for this log though. The owner still gets an email of the log.

To borrow an anology for burns. 1st and 2nd degree maintance issues (the cache is viable) log a find and note the issue. 3rd Degree problems (cache is no longer viable) use the NM log. You will have to log your find (but if you found it, ti's really a 1st or 2nd degree probelm...) on another log.

Edited by Renegade Knight

When do you actually post a "Needs Maintenance" log. I was abused by a CO because I posted a needs maintenance log on one of their caches (a micro with a full log, and I did not have a replacement). She responded back to me that I should look back 3 months ago oto see that someone had already brought it to her attention that the log needed replaced.

I could have responded "If you've known for three months why haven't you replaced it?" Being the bigger person that I am I decided to just take it like a man. I went out and threw her stupid micro in the river instead. Just kidding.

I now usually only post needs maintenace if the cache is wet or damaged, I just post in my found log if the Log book is getting full.

B)

You did the right thing in posting the "Needs Maintenance" log, ignoring the CO's odd response, and not tossing the stupid micro in the river. Tempting. Very tempting!

If the cache needs maintenance of any sort, I'll post a needs maintenance log. If someone gets offended by it, it just proves they are too lazy to clear the needs maintenance, and actually maintenance their cache.

In something of a similar situation, I post multiple logs when I do geocache maintenance. I write a note for visiting and a separate log (usually very short) indicating what I did on my visit. My reasoning is that I like to keep tracks of my travels, but the maintenance logs are out of order on the account page. Also, I might enable or disable a geocache without a visit, so that distinction is made with the single log. Just something I thought fits in with the subject.