Why is it taking a long time for a cache to be published?

blb9556

Now it's been 24 hours.

On the page where you clicked the link to get to the cache data entry information, it said:

If it has been 72 hours and your cache is not listed more information may be found on the Groundspeak Help Page.

Following the link to the Groundspeak Help Page, you end up at the Knowledge Base. If you search on "cache review", you find a link to the topic titled "It's been over 72 hours. Why isn't my cache published yet?". On that page at the bottom, it says:

Please keep in mind that our cache reviewers are volunteers so sometimes other things in their lives cause listings to be delayed a bit. They sometimes like to go out and find geocaches, too! You may experience longer than normal waiting time during, for example, the week following a holiday or just after a large geocaching event. We ask for your patience.

If your cache is still not listed after a week, please send word to your local reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com. Be sure to include the GC# for the cache to expedite the process.

Hopefully, Keystone is out finding some caches! :P

Now it's been 24 hours.

On the page where you clicked the link to get to the cache data entry information, it said:

If it has been 72 hours and your cache is not listed more information may be found on the Groundspeak Help Page.

Following the link to the Groundspeak Help Page, you end up at the Knowledge Base. If you search on "cache review", you find a link to the topic titled "It's been over 72 hours. Why isn't my cache published yet?". On that page at the bottom, it says:

Please keep in mind that our cache reviewers are volunteers so sometimes other things in their lives cause listings to be delayed a bit. They sometimes like to go out and find geocaches, too! You may experience longer than normal waiting time during, for example, the week following a holiday or just after a large geocaching event. We ask for your patience.

If your cache is still not listed after a week, please send word to your local reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com. Be sure to include the GC# for the cache to expedite the process.

Hopefully, Keystone is out finding some caches! :P

Well I know I'm just saying.

Sheesh. That cache was not in the queue when I checked at 5:30 pm on Friday. I like to take Friday evenings off from cache reviewing. I am home from church now and I will be reviewing caches a little later in the evening. Cache hiders should not expect 24 hour turnaround on spring weekends. Sometimes you will get it -- when that happens, be happy!

Sheesh. That cache was not in the queue when I checked at 5:30 pm on Friday. I like to take Friday evenings off from cache reviewing. I am home from church now and I will be reviewing caches a little later in the evening. Cache hiders should not expect 24 hour turnaround on spring weekends. Sometimes you will get it -- when that happens, be happy!

I thought you were going to get your psychic meter checked... how could you have failed to know there was a cache awaiting your attention! :P Shocking! :D

:D

Now it's been 24 hours.

Hopefully, Keystone is out finding some caches! :lol:

Boy... some people are pushy.

Now it's been 24 hours.

Hopefully, Keystone is out finding some caches! :lol:

Boy... some people are pushy.

Ain't they?

BTW, I got 3 new ones published in 2 hours tonight. Our reviewers don't got lives. :P

Consider yourself lucky. I tried to set up a personal event when I was in Pittsburgh earlier this month and still haven't heard back from the two e-mails I sent the reviewer. :lol::P

What is a 'personal event'? Events are for everyone.

-Ben

The OP's multicache is one of more than a dozen that I published this morning. Now, I am going to go out and find a few, including one or two of the new ones just published. I hope everyone else has a nice day as well.

Edited by Keystone

Now, I am going to go out and find a few, including one or two of the new ones just published.

Wait a minute!! the reviewers need final cords for puzzles. So if they review a cache in their area couldn't they be the FTF right away?!!!!

Edited by blb9556

Typically no. We usually wait for a period of time, but we don't wait forever. We don't play the FTF game so we don't race out and go to these caches burning rubber all the way like some people do. We also have to work our way through the multicaches and puzzles like everyone else as well. One look at my stats and you can see how bad I am at puzzle caches. I would imagine that the FTF hounds will have no problem beating him to some of those caches.

Now, I am going to go out and find a few, including one or two of the new ones just published.

Wait a minute!! the reviewers need final cords for puzzles. So if they review a cache in their area couldn't they be the FTF right away?!!!!

Don't worry, I'm not coming to find your multicache. (And I'm darn close to putting it on my "ignore" list!)

The new caches I'm going to seek today are both traditionals, and they are in the county where I was already planning a visit. One is rated 5 stars for terrain and I am curious if that was a case of newbie exuberance, as I've found other caches in that park. The other cache is hidden in the cemetery featured in the opening scenes of the classic horror movie, "The Night of the Living Dead." I've been waiting for YEARS for someone to hide a cache there. It is just outside of what I regard as my "maintainable distance."

Volunteer cache reviewers are subject to NO restrictions when it comes to finding traditional caches that they've published. We have no advantage over anyone else -- we study the same maps, etc. We used to have the advantage of knowing exactly when the cache was published, but that's been neutralized with the insta-notify service. It's not like I press the "publish" button and then leap into the car to go get the FTF. I could if I wanted, but I prefer to avoid reading forum posts like this one.

As a volunteer cache reviewer, I DO refrain from being first to find on puzzles and multi's that I review, unless a week goes by with no FTF. Normally I exclude puzzles from my cache routes as I generally do not enjoy that cache type. I do like multicaches, though! I cannot recall the last time I was FTF for a multicache or puzzle, but I am thinking it was in 2003, and quite by accident, more than 50 miles from my home. Coincidentally that is the same area I'm heading to right now. So, bye!

Don't worry, I'm not coming to find your multicache. (And I'm darn close to putting it on my "ignore" list!)

The new caches I'm going to seek today are both traditionals, and they are in the county where I was already planning a visit. One is rated 5 stars for terrain and I am curious if that was a case of newbie exuberance, as I've found other caches in that park. The other cache is hidden in the cemetery featured in the opening scenes of the classic horror movie, "The Night of the Living Dead." I've been waiting for YEARS for someone to hide a cache there. It is just outside of what I regard as my "maintainable distance."

Volunteer cache reviewers are subject to NO restrictions when it comes to finding traditional caches that they've published. We have no advantage over anyone else -- we study the same maps, etc. We used to have the advantage of knowing exactly when the cache was published, but that's been neutralized with the insta-notify service. It's not like I press the "publish" button and then leap into the car to go get the FTF. I could if I wanted, but I prefer to avoid reading forum posts like this one.

As a volunteer cache reviewer, I DO refrain from being first to find on puzzles and multi's that I review, unless a week goes by with no FTF. Normally I exclude puzzles from my cache routes as I generally do not enjoy that cache type. I do like multicaches, though! I cannot recall the last time I was FTF for a multicache or puzzle, but I am thinking it was in 2003, and quite by accident, more than 50 miles from my home. Coincidentally that is the same area I'm heading to right now. So, bye!

ooo - I had forgotten "The Night of the Living Dead." was filmed in PA. Butler county wasn't it? I'll have to put it on my watchlist and see if it is close to where I will be visiting this fall. Hope it's a good one. Good luck.

It's all in the name. Is it because Keystone is just taking a break or is their a bug? Now it's been 24 hours.

GC: GC1AC5H

Name: The former Shawan Falls

Link: Visit Link

So, I've got this junk rig in the garage I'd like to get running. I need a new battery cable. Dealer charges astronomical prices and doesn't support the rig anyway. I finaly find a custom battery company. Turns out they took 3 weeks off for spring break. But they also took 3 weeks to catch up on orders without taking new orders. That means it was really 6 weeks. But wait, they also took another week to reactivate their site. When their stie was back up they took a week to respond to my email. I sent them the info and it's been about a week since then. They process real orders for things they stock before they do custom orders. I recon they will have another question about my order, then take 3 weeks to process the order and toss in a week for shipping and a week just because. It's going to be what. 12 weeks of waiting to get my cable so that I can now drive the rig to the shop and get something else fixed. That's a lot of work for a caching rig.

I'm more than willing to spot a reviewer a week or two for all the same reasons I maintain my caches on my own schedule. It's a cache. Not life. Real life resembles trying to get a custom battery cable.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Ok so now I hope Keystone doesn't come for the irish fest here in Dublin for a while (Or until he forgets about this whole conflict!)

Semi-related (reviewer workload and such), but how does a reviewer's territory get defined? Do you get taken to the cache at the top of the mountain and get to claim all that you see, or just reasonably local areas, or just sign up and say "i want to review ____ general area"?

Semi-related (reviewer workload and such), but how does a reviewer's territory get defined? Do you get taken to the cache at the top of the mountain and get to claim all that you see, or just reasonably local areas, or just sign up and say "i want to review ____ general area"?

My understanding is that they initially look within areas of need for people to review. However, at any moment TPTB could ask a reviewer to take over an area that is not within their area.

I think that multi colored darts and a global map has something to do with it.

At least our friend Keystone gets to find some of the caches he reviews! Our main reviewer in BC (and especially the puppymonster) never gets to hunt caches in BC - and sure does not need to worry about getting FTF's before I get there. It's a long way from Atlanta to Vancouver.

I set my caches out with "Cache Permanence" in mind. Unless something radically changes, or the spot turns out to stink for unforeseen reasons (it happens), I am hoping my future grandkids will be able to find my caches around the world. Especially the Earthcaches which are never going to be muggled.

Therefore - since I intend for the caches to be there for months, years, even decades I could care less if it takes a 20 minutes, one week or two weeks to get published. If it is a good hide, it will still be there to be found in a few days.

If the hide is not a good hide... well I deserve to lose it before it gets published and look silly when no one can find my muggled cache. Hide them well and use good containers and you too can have lots of great caches out there bringing you pleasure in your inbox everyday.

But hey now that I know the standard is 20 minutes... mtn-man how come Keystone is so much faster than you are? And why do Team Misguided and PNWadmin compete to see who can get to publishing my caches faster?

*Moan* Looks like Keytone just disabled my cache!!! I don't think it's school property!!!!! :lol::):):D:D:D;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

But hey now that I know the standard is 20 minutes... mtn-man how come Keystone is so much faster than you are? And why do Team Misguided and PNWadmin compete to see who can get to publishing my caches faster?

The puppymonster has not thumbs, which slows down his click rate and typing. :lol:

The puppymonster has not thumbs, which slows down his click rate and typing. :)

:lol:;):):D:D:D

The puppymonster has not thumbs, which slows down his click rate and typing. :lol:

Looks like mtn-man doesn't type very well either. That's what he gets for talking about me. ;)

(puppymonster checks list of cachers who have sent me milkbones, does not see legacypac's name, remembers why he never notices legacypac's caches in the queue, moves on to check for caches by Tieka the Canine Landshark who has sent milkbones and gets puppymonster presents in return...)

*Moan* Looks like Keytone just disabled my cache!!! I don't think it's school property!!!!! :lol:;):):D:D:D:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you for all the lovely emoticons.

I was provided with an image taken from the Dublin municipal GIS system which clearly identifies the parcel in question as being owned by the Dublin Schools Board of Education.

Normally this sort of research is beyond the scope of what a reviewer is capable of doing within 20 minutes. During the initial review, I studied the aerial photos and thought the cache was far enough into the woods, away from the school. But now that I know it's on property owned by the school, clear evidence of permission is needed. In the first instance, it is the cache owner's job to understand clearly whose land the cache is placed upon. That's especially important when hiding something near an "Off Limits" location.

I look forward to seeing your cache re-enabled once the school district has provided written permission for it.

Edited by Keystone

*Moan* Looks like Keytone just disabled my cache!!! I don't think it's school property!!!!!

I look forward to seeing your cache re-enabled once the school district has provided written permission for it.

Well Keystone you won't see this one back up and running! B)B) I don't want to deal with dublin because then like the riverboxes will they then too, advertise (Take kids from the 2 schools to see it) The way the park was established was by permission (See my archive log) However this area was formerly owned by OCLC.

I don't want to deal with dublin because then like the riverboxes will they then too, advertise (Take kids from the 2 schools to see it) The way the park was established was by permission (See my archive log) However this area was formerly owned by OCLC.
My brain can't work this sentence.

*Moan* Looks like Keytone just disabled my cache!!! I don't think it's school property!!!!!

Well Keystone you won't see this one back up and running! B)B) I don't want to deal with dublin because then like the riverboxes will they then too, advertise (Take kids from the 2 schools to see it) The way the park was established was by permission (See my archive log) However this area was formerly owned by OCLC.

I think I'll try Babel Fish for this one.

On the email you attached to the cache page, I see you took the time to block your own email address and IP out. Perhaps you should extend the same courtesy to the nice person from the Parks Department?

B)B)

You found shamrock cache here right? Aren't reviewers supposed to report these caches!? It should have been archived!

I don't want to deal with dublin because then like the riverboxes will they then too, advertise (Take kids from the 2 schools to see it) The way the park was established was by permission (See my archive log) However this area was formerly owned by OCLC.
My brain can't work this sentence.

OCLC: (Visit Link)

You would need to read the agreement to see if the City, The School, or both can give permission for a cache. A scenic easment can be for open space and allow recreational activities, or they can be for a viewshed meaning "pretty to look at, but no trespassing".

The odds are that the school has retained the right to build a school (else why the heck would they own the land since they are not in the parks and scenic business) but deferred the use of the land to the city until they actually do need it. Meanign the odds are the city can provide permission. But it comes back to the agreement. The parks director is a great contact to answer the question.

You found shamrock cache here right? Aren't reviewers supposed to report these caches!? It should have been archived!

Dude. You need to get a grip.

Yes, I found the original Shamrock Cache. I found it on January 27, 2002. I did not become a reviewer until March 13, 2002. I love this trip down memory lane though. From what I recall, I don't even remember the school being there. All I remember is parking near the cemetery and going around it down into the gulch type valley. I remember the cemetery there well actually, based on the position of the cache (somewhat "subterranean", for lack of a better word, though not buried). I remember my log, seeing the image that you scanned (thanks for that at least). I still have Floatflute's CD, though that is also now taboo. That CD got me hooked on Moby. Amazing that I can remember so many details from a cache I found six years and three months ago no less.

Um, Keystone archived it in 2003, by the way. At that time, I don't even recall if there was a "Needs Archived" log. At that time, I don't recall if we had the school guideline. That is, if the school was there.

Even if there had been an issue with the cache, the reviewers are not expected to act as the cache police. If I came across a really egregious guideline violation then I suppose I might flag it up, but generally it would have to be so bad that someone else would already have reported it.

I would hate for the cache placers in my area to feel that they got the smelly end of the stick because they happen to have a reviewer living nearby who was going to give a parade-ground inspection to each of their caches.

Dude. You need to get a grip.

Yes, I found the original Shamrock Cache. I found it on January 27, 2002. I did not become a reviewer until March 13, 2002. I love this trip down memory lane though. From what I recall, I don't even remember the school being there. All I remember is parking near the cemetery and going around it down into the gulch type valley. I remember the cemetery there well actually, based on the position of the cache (somewhat "subterranean", for lack of a better word, though not buried). I remember my log, seeing the image that you scanned (thanks for that at least). I still have Floatflute's CD, though that is also now taboo. That CD got me hooked on Moby. Amazing that I can remember so many details from a cache I found six years and three months ago no less.

Um, Keystone archived it in 2003, by the way. At that time, I don't even recall if there was a "Needs Archived" log. At that time, I don't recall if we had the school guideline. That is, if the school was there.

Ya both schools were there but like you said about the rule not even existing. Also I will post images for that one soon as the ammo box (Very rusty!) and the contents all sit in my garage currently.

Edited by blb9556

did you guys realize that Keystone doesn't cache under his reviewer name? Sure he's "found" one cache, but i think that was a mistake on his part. Anyone know of The Leprechauns? That's Keystone's actual caching name. and he also post's here under that name. I can't wait to meet him in person, he's got some very creative caches around here

did you guys realize that Keystone doesn't cache under his reviewer name? Sure he's "found" one cache, but i think that was a mistake on his part. Anyone know of The Leprechauns? That's Keystone's actual caching name. and he also post's here under that name. I can't wait to meet him in person, he's got some very creative caches around here

Naw, that one find on Keystone's account isn't a mistake. He logged Groundspeak HQ on one of our visits there a couple years ago. I think that's the most appropriate cache to go under a Reviewer's find count! :)

My only "found it" log among 20,000+ logs:

:)April 21, 2006 by Keystone (1 found)

This was my very first cache find. When I got to the cache, a beautiful lady named Hydee ran up and hugged me. Are all the geocaches like this? If so, I think I'm gonna really enjoy this game.

I am dropping off a volunteer geocoin that had a goal of reaching me. Since it's done that, I'm returning it to headquarters before it sets forth on its next mission.

Consider yourself lucky. I tried to set up a personal event when I was in Pittsburgh earlier this month and still haven't heard back from the two e-mails I sent the reviewer. :):)

What is a 'personal event'?

-Ben

Let's just not go there..... :D