Highland Geofairy Gold XLE Coin #1 of 25

Highland Geofairy

I'm confused. How does she raise money by hiking the Great Wall? Does she receive money for so many miles hiked?

I am not entirely certain of this, so I will check and get back to you, but as far as I understand it, in order to participate in the trek one has to commit to raising funds for Macmillan. Moira has a target of £5000 - not sure if that figure is set by Macmillan or the participant - but I imagine there would be a minimum target for participants. Moira has been actively raising funds to reach her target the details of which she has posted on her justgiving page. She pays all her own expenses for the trip, the benefits to the participant is that they get to go on an organised trip with a group in the knowledge that they have already made a big contribution to a worthwhile cause. I think the target has to be reached in order to qualify to go on the trip. I will confirm the above when I hear back from Moira. Thank you for your interest.

On offer is

Hammer of Thor Gold

Masonic Ant Copp

Sun Coin in Black Nickel - cool shaped coin - thank you lake_wannabees

Coexist Gold

Mermaid Swag Copper - thank you RSG

eragonSaphira - thank you Ljay

Flying V Black Nickel/Red - thank you Crowesfeat30

Pirates of Harriman - thank you CLAMM

Trick or Treat - thank you Tooey

So if you make a donation via this link - you may choose one of the above coins.

CLAMM & Crowesfeat30 have kindly donated their coins for auction to raise more funds - thank you very much indeed, Moira is going to be thrilled. A fantastic contribution so far - I hope a few others might be tempted by the remaining coins.

By the way - the minimum donation on justgiving is £2 - roughly $4 - and would be a very welcome donation, I don't think you could buy any of the above coins for that price anywhere, in fact I don't quite understand why they haven't all gone by now so click that link, and don't worry if the last of the coins have gone by the time you donate - I would not see go without.

Bidding on the Gold coin is currently $152.50 B) THANK YOU

I'm confused. How does she raise money by hiking the Great Wall? Does she receive money for so many miles hiked?

I have just received the following information from Moira:-

Basically the treks organised by Macmillan Cancer Support are national events of which there are 5 or 6 per year, they go to Peru, China, Sahara Desert, Iceland, and this new one Nepal. When I went to China I had to raise £2,900 in order to take part and in that amount the expenses involved to the participant and to Macmillan themselves was around £900 for admin, flights, food, 2 or 3 nights in a hotel (the rest is in a tent!). I raised £9,103 for my China trek and paid all my own expenses. There are 60 participants on each trek and they raise over £250,000 for the charity so it is well worth the organisational costs. (Not everyone pays their own expenses, but you must declare that in any fundraising event that you do, it is optional)

For the Nepal trek I need to raise £3,200 to take part as costs are always rising. I have set my target at £5,000 myself as I want to raise lots! Personally by the time I pay my costs and registration fee I will be paying around £1,500 for the pleasure, but as I choose to go I think this is a small price to pay for such an adventure and there is no way I could ask anyone to fund raise for me - it would be like begging!! I am thrilled to bits seeing my total rise and of course hope I will go over my target again.

If anyone else would like to join a trek then I suggest they look at www.macmillan.org.uk where all the details of their events are available and the registration process is very easy.

Toojin & Bart - I see that you also have made a donation to Macmillan Cancer Support - it is very much appreciated, thank you. Please let me know which coin you would like there are three left

Hammer of Thor Gold - Thank you Froboz

Coexist Gold

Masonic Antique Copper

Don't forget to include your address so that I can send it to you.

Thank you again.

Edited by Highland Geofairy

Wow...had an unexpected emergency come up and am just getting back around to checking everything out. HG...a donation will be made soon, I need to get to the bank first (Monday as I have the day off...B'day).

Congrats on the sale, I hope it makes a last minute jump, but it's doing nicely! I hope it helps!!

well i got out bid on the coin way back about 4 days ago, i'm way down 13th on the bidders list. That is out of 21. Didn't have a hope :blink:

To the lucky bidder, hats off to you, congrats to you on the purchase of a beautiful coin.

remember the bidding is still open for the Geoscooter. This will be the only one sold and all proceeds will go to Moria for her walk. Link here

Ljay

A total equivalent to $600 in total has now been raised for Macmillan Cancer Support from this community.

A huge thank you to all who have donated, and bid on the auction, it really is very much appreciated. I doubt that Moira is up this late at night, but I am sure she will be checking her justgiving page in the morning and she is going to be thrilled.

A number of you that made donations directly to justgiving kindly offered the coins you were to receive up for auction to raise more money, thank you. I will arrange to get these listed as soon as I can.

In the meantime don't forget that ljays Geoscooter is up for auction here. Many thanks ljay.

:blink::(;):blink::(;):D:D

I hope it's ok to add this here, if not please let me know and I'll delete the post.

I was given coin #12 by the Highland Geofairy to help me raise funds for a special cause. Most of you already know I'm running in the 5K Race for the Cure here in Helena, MT on 5/17 and I was gifted the coin to help me reach my goal. You can read about it on the ebay auction, thanks in advance to anyone who bids and helps me out. I'll be throwing up some other auctions soon in hopes of reaching my goal.

Thanks HGF for your generosity! I truly appreciate it ;)

tsun

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=018

Edited by tsunrisebey

With many thanks to CLAMM and Crowsefeat30 - the trackable coins that they donated have now been listed on eBay, with apologies for the delay in listing them - a few technical hitches the wand could not resolve !

They can be seen here and here.

Just over twelve hours to go on these coins and no bids :laughing:

Come on guys and girls, add these coins to your collection or give them away as a gift and get a double warm and fuzzy.

There will also be another three very special coins appearing for sale in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support in about a weeks time thanks to a very generous donor. Watch this space :laughing:

With many thanks to CLAMM and Crowsefeat30 - the trackable coins that they donated have now been listed on eBay, with apologies for the delay in listing them - a few technical hitches the wand could not resolve !

They can be seen here and here.

Just over twelve hours to go on these coins and no bids :laughing:

Come on guys and girls, add these coins to your collection or give them away as a gift and get a double warm and fuzzy.

There will also be another three very special coins appearing for sale in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support in about a weeks time thanks to a very generous donor. Watch this space :laughing:

Sorry, lost track of this topic! I bid on one of the coins, hope it will help a little!!

Just placed a bid also. Not much but I'll cut back on soda. If I'm outbid I'll just donate the money.

Luckycharmer - thank you for your donation, this brings the total raised to date to over $780. This is just brilliant, thank you all so very much.

Tenessee Jed has very kindly donated the latest three versions of his Tenessee Jed coin, these will be listed in about a weeks time, the proceeds from these auctions will also be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Just placed a bid also. Not much but I'll cut back on soda. If I'm outbid I'll just donate the money.

Luckycharmer - thank you for your donation, this brings the total raised to date to over $780. This is just brilliant, thank you all so very much.

Tenessee Jed has very kindly donated the latest three versions of his Tenessee Jed coin, these will be listed in about a weeks time, the proceeds from these auctions will also be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

That is a great deal on money raised so far. Great job. :laughing:

Thanks to the generosity of Tennessee Jed I am very pleased to be able to say that the latest three versions of his coin are up for auction on ebay, again the proceeds from the sale of these coins will be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support upon receipt of cleared funds.

I may have the names wrong for these, but I have listed them as Glitter, Neon and Antique Silver, so apologies if these are not quite correct.

Good luck bidding.

Placed a bid on a few...Unlikely that I will get it, but it auta get the ball rollin! <_< ...Thanks HGF! and all of you generous peopel who have donated.

Thank you for bidding 007BigD.

I've been sent a copy of the local Macmillan Newsletter which includes an article about the money raised through Geocoins. I'll see if I can work out how to include it in a post, or at least an extract of the article itself.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

The following is an extract from the May edition of the Macmillan Cancer Support Newsletter

NEWS EXTRA:

GEOCOIN FUNDRAISER FOR NEPAL TREK

A ‘Highland Fairy’ has produced £300 worth of donations from an auction on Ebay and there may be more to come! The auction is complete for this coin but if you click on this site all will be revealed. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...category=149941

Further coins have been offered as an incentive if donations were also made to Moira’s web page at www.justgiving.com/moiramcleod and if you click on this you will see how it all added up. We are amazed at this new way of fund raising.

Tennessee Jed's latest 3 versions are currently up for auction on ebay for this charity, auction ends Friday.

Thanks to the generosity of Tennessee Jed I am very pleased to be able to say that the latest three versions of his coin are up for auction on ebay, again the proceeds from the sale of these coins will be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support upon receipt of cleared funds.

I may have the names wrong for these, but I have listed them as Glitter, Neon and Antique Silver, so apologies if these are not quite correct.

Good luck bidding.

We couldn't manage to bid any higher than we did for one of the coins in the auction... so we've donated the amount that we planned to bid directly to Moira's just giving page instead. Like so many others we have both lost friends and family members to cancer (my Dad, Andy's Dad and many more). The Macmillan Nurses do a truly wonderful job and are a marvellous support to families in their time of need, it's such worthy cause.

Well done to Tennessee Jed and HGF!!!! :)

Good luck bidding.

We couldn't manage to bid any higher than we did for one of the coins in the auction... so we've donated the amount that we planned to bid directly to Moira's just giving page instead. Like so many others we have both lost friends and family members to cancer (my Dad, Andy's Dad and many more). The Macmillan Nurses do a truly wonderful job and are a marvellous support to families in their time of need, it's such worthy cause.

Well done to Tennessee Jed and HGF!!!! :)

Geo-Gophers - thank you so much for your donation, that is so kind of you, and I just wanted to say how nice it is to see a few more Scots in the Geocoins forum :(

There is just over 12 hours left before these auctions end, the Neon version appears to be very popular, but would like to say that the Glitter version is awesome and the photographs really do not do this coin justice, and of course - the Antique Silver would nicely complete your set :) . Tennessee Jed tells me that his coins have never been for sale, other than charity auctions. So this could be your last chance to aquire one of these beauties.

Thanks for looking, and happy bidding ;)

Was able to get a bid in on a couple of these. Good Luck in reaching your goal. I will be giving them to Moun10girl if I win as her family has suffered and is suffering bouts of cancer... my prayers go out to anyone having to deal with this diease.

Edited by Frozen Buns

Again, my thanks to Tennessee Jed for donating his coins, another £55 has been donated to Macmillan Cancer Support. That brings the total raised to date through Geocoins to £478.

Thanks to everyone that has donated coins, placed bids, made donations and the auction winners too. Without you all this would just not have been possible.

Translating £ to $ - the figure is short of $1000 by just $44 - for anyone willing to donate to help bring the total up to that magic number I will find an unactivated coin from my collection to send you. Minimum donation is just £2 - that equates to just $4 - Mastercard and Visa are both accepted. When we have reached $1000 - I consider that a fantastic contribution, and I'll quit bugging you all :blink: