Diary Page

Team TnW

I was wondering what other people think of requesting a 'diary page' on your profile - enter in details if you spent a day caching. We all submit details when we find caches, but might be nice to share your stories of a day out with everyone - eg: Took our bikes, found 8 caches, we recommend this spot to stop and have picnic... etc etc

???????

See Geoblogging: Is it Time to do Something In-house?, a great thread started nearly two years ago by CYBret. I thought it was a good idea then, and it's an even better idea now. I have no desire to set up my own blog, or register for a MySpace or Facebook account, but I do like to write about geocaching. I would write blog-style stories if they were housed on a site where I'm already active.

In a regional forum where I'm active, we have a whole forum section called "Caching Adventures." When someone goes on a week-long roadtrip, makes a pilgrimage to the Original Stash, or has some other memorable caching experience, they can start a thread in this section. The thread gives the overall story of the trip, not the individual snippets from each cache log. What were the best caches of the day? What is the style of the area visited? Who are the best hiders? Where would you stay, eat and visit if you cached in that city? These are questions answered in the Caching Adventure summary. Then, others post to offer their congratulations on the fun trip, to thank the writer for good tips they've tucked away for future reference, and to laugh at the funny stories.

The popularity of forums like "Caching Adventures," podcasts, and individual blogs demonstrates that this functionality would be very popular if integrated with Groundspeak. And, as I said two years ago, it would be cool if you could security-code your blog so that it's either public or is shared just with people on your "Friends" list.

See Geoblogging: Is it Time to do Something In-house?, a great thread started nearly two years ago by CYBret. I thought it was a good idea then, and it's an even better idea now. I have no desire to set up my own blog, or register for a MySpace or Facebook account, but I do like to write about geocaching. I would write blog-style stories if they were housed on a site where I'm already active.

In a regional forum where I'm active, we have a whole forum section called "Caching Adventures." When someone goes on a week-long roadtrip, makes a pilgrimage to the Original Stash, or has some other memorable caching experience, they can start a thread in this section. The thread gives the overall story of the trip, not the individual snippets from each cache log. What were the best caches of the day? What is the style of the area visited? Who are the best hiders? Where would you stay, eat and visit if you cached in that city? These are questions answered in the Caching Adventure summary. Then, others post to offer their congratulations on the fun trip, to thank the writer for good tips they've tucked away for future reference, and to laugh at the funny stories.

The popularity of forums like "Caching Adventures," podcasts, and individual blogs demonstrates that this functionality would be very popular if integrated with Groundspeak. And, as I said two years ago, it would be cool if you could security-code your blog so that it's either public or is shared just with people on your "Friends" list.

That really is a great thread. Too bad that no one has posted to it in two years.

Odd that.

I like Blogger. Having a site like Groundspeak host the blogs would be too limiting - maybe too political too... Blogger is free, way easy to set up and use, and no flashing adds (unless you place them yourself). There are quite a few geocachers that already have blogs on several different sites. You can click on my signature line to see a good example of a geocaching blog. With links to many others.

Thinking about what The Leprechauns said about the caching adventure section in the local forum I think this could be a good idea. Especially great for the caching vacations, special caches, or that special day that was to good to be captured in just the logs. Especially great if there was an easy way to insert a link to the caches done that day (or period of time). Maybe it can be set up before my "Autumn in New England" trip I'm planning for this fall.

Thinking about what The Leprechauns said about the caching adventure section in the local forum I think this could be a good idea. Especially great for the caching vacations, special caches, or that special day that was to good to be captured in just the logs. Especially great if there was an easy way to insert a link to the caches done that day (or period of time). Maybe it can be set up before my "Autumn in New England" trip I'm planning for this fall.

This is exactly the line of thought I was on with this request - there are some days that are just so great - and logging in each cache - "12th for the day" or the like just doesnt seem to aum up your adventure - every site has blog pages - hope this one catches up soon.... ;)

This is exactly the line of thought I was on with this request - there are some days that are just so great - and logging in each cache - "12th for the day" or the like just doesnt seem to aum up your adventure -

Why not use one of the many free and feature full blogging site? I'm not crazy about the idea of geocaching.com getting in the blogging business. After all this is cache listing site and not a blogging site. Unless geocaching.com puts some serious effort in to creating a blog feature (most likely at the expense of creating new or updating existing cache listing features) the blog wouldn't be anything more than an overgrown profile page and with a little HTML it isn't hard to make your profile page look like a blog.

every site has blog pages - hope this one catches up soon.... ;)

If every site has blog pages then wouldn't geocaching.com be included in the every site part of the statement? I've found that few sites have blog pages and the ones that are not blogging sites and do implement their own blog pages have very basic blogs with almost no features. The "blog" reads more like a personal forum.

This is exactly the line of thought I was on with this request - there are some days that are just so great - and logging in each cache - "12th for the day" or the like just doesnt seem to aum up your adventure -

Why not use one of the many free and feature full blogging site? I'm not crazy about the idea of geocaching.com getting in the blogging business. After all this is cache listing site and not a blogging site. Unless geocaching.com puts some serious effort in to creating a blog feature (most likely at the expense of creating new or updating existing cache listing features) the blog wouldn't be anything more than an overgrown profile page and with a little HTML it isn't hard to make your profile page look like a blog.

I don't know that I wouldn't like a blogging site, but I don't have the desire to investigate one. While I do try to write good logs, sometimes they miss the "whole" of the day or trip. I could see the using a feature as mentioned a few times a year for those "special" times. It would have been a nice feature last year when I made a 6,000 mile - 15 day trip to Yellowstone that included much more than just caching. Clicking on a diary page and reading someone's geocaching trip just might inspire me to investigate an area I may be unaware of.

I too like the idea of being able to blog about geocaching.

The User's Profile page has a number of Tabs - Profile, Geocaches, Trackables, Gallery and Bookmark Lists.

Could TPTB consider providing a facility whereby Users could add a Blog Tab by editing their profile and the User would enter the URL of their Blog. GC.com could load a page to say that the visitor is leaving the GC.com website and that GC.com have no control over what has been blogged and after 5 seconds the Blog opens in a new window.

To me it seems to resolve the problem of GC.com hosting blogs and Users wanting to Blog about geocaching and having a very visable link on GC.com to their Blog.

I for one, don't often click on a Users Home Page as I don't know what to expect, whereas clicking on a Blog link you know what you are going to experience.

My two cents worth.

Jardry

I was wondering what other people think of requesting a 'diary page' on your profile - enter in details if you spent a day caching. We all submit details when we find caches, but might be nice to share your stories of a day out with everyone - eg: Took our bikes, found 8 caches, we recommend this spot to stop and have picnic... etc etc

After TPTB fix after thing that is already in the pipe it actually shouldn't be too hard to implement.

One way to do this is have a page that displays all of your logs on a particular day on a single page. You write about your adventures in the cache logs. This page assembles all of the logs into a daily diary.

What would have to be fixed in the order in which the logs are displayed. Right now, they are displayed in the order written and not the order found. I think an extra field in the logs for order of found would be a great addition.

Also, a feature that has gained a bit of traction is the "home cache" or "home base" or something that allows for logging TBs in at your home or whatever. Integrate the two to allow you to log activities that don't really belong on an individual cache, but still be displayed in the daily diary.

This scheme accomplishes two things at once. You log your caches and create your diary at the same time.

...and it doesn't require TPTB creating a totally separate and new section on this site.