Car Travel Bugs

DreamGrl628

Hi, I was wondering how car decal travel bugs work?

I was browsing the World Caching store and came across this product: http://worldcaching.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=303

The description doesn't help me out too much. How can someone track it? It comes with 2 decals and a set of metal TB tags. Can someone please explain this to me?

I like the idea of the decal because it doesn't say geocaching.com on it and I like the whole mystery of it. Only geocachers would know what it means.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me! <_<

I was browsing the World Caching store and came across this product: http://worldcaching.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=303

The description doesn't help me out too much. How can someone track it? It comes with 2 decals and a set of metal TB tags. Can someone please explain this to me?

I like the idea of the decal because it doesn't say geocaching.com on it and I like the whole mystery of it. Only geocachers would know what it means.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me! <_<

It's tracked like any other TB, the code is on the sticker (which is the same as the normal TB dogtags that come with it). So you activate the TB number that you receive, set up the page as you like, then any cacher who finds/sees your car can log the TB ... well, discover the TB is more like it. It's kind of hard to put that TB in your kit! <_<

I suppose that it comes with two stickers so that if you lose one (sell, wreck the car) you can "start" another one.

We too have our little 87 Montero as a TB since Dec of 06. I made my own magnetic tag. Boy! I wish I thought of mass producing it 2 years ago. My Little Truck Bug!

b222f945-647e-4927-8ad5-32f7d8051a74.jpg

<Image showing tracking number removed by moderator - please note, offering your tracking number up for virtual logging can result in your TB being locked, please do not post tracking numbers in public places, it is considered abuse of the geocaching.com website, people have already logged this virtually, as the TB owner you should delete bogus logs.>

If you, See It! Log It!

Edited by Eartha

Folks, please don't post your tracking numbers in public places, whether in writing or in photos. You can smudge the numbers in photos first using a photo editor. Virtual logging can cause your travel bug to be locked, as it is considered abuse of the geocaching.com website.

Thank you.

(And to those of you who are virtually logging these, without ever seeing them, should bow your heads in shame and go sit in the corner. Or you could be nice, and go back and delete your bogus logs.)

I'll bet for every time I've posted not to show a tracking number in a pic, there have been at least twice as many people thinking 'Oh, nobody would virtually log a bug by seeing the tracking number.'

Yeah...right.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have a slight problem with my car window decal, I used it as my copy and released the TB without realizing that people would "discover" it(I just thought it looked cool). Well, now it won't show up in the hands of the person that physically has the tag and now someone else has picked it up and it's showing that it is in my hands. I grabbed it from the cache that wrote down my number and "put" it into a cache, but how do I give it to the person who physically has the tag so he can place it? I guess I misunderstood the decal and I'd rather the travel tag itself travels around. Any help would be appreciated. :grin:

I have a slight problem with my car window decal, I used it as my copy and released the TB without realizing that people would "discover" it(I just thought it looked cool). Well, now it won't show up in the hands of the person that physically has the tag and now someone else has picked it up and it's showing that it is in my hands. I grabbed it from the cache that wrote down my number and "put" it into a cache, but how do I give it to the person who physically has the tag so he can place it? I guess I misunderstood the decal and I'd rather the travel tag itself travels around. Any help would be appreciated. :grin:

If I understand the situation, the person who is currently holding your bug needs to log it and select the log type of: Grab. This will put it into their inventory so they can drop it into a cache.

I just received mine in the mail today, I'll post photos later. I can't wait to see if anyone discovers it :o

And that right there can get your TB page locked. Virtual logging is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system and is not allowed. People have to see your TB in person to log it. Don't post your tracking number in public.

Edit to add: feel free to post the photos, and I hope you do get discoveries, just understand what I've stated here. Keep your tracking number secret from virtual logging.

Edited by Eartha

The idea of having a decal on your car is pretty cool, and the the attention and "preferred "parking at GW-6 made it all the more fun to find, and log.

I picked one up, but am having a problem with activation. I entered the tag number and activation code, and the page just goes back to step # 1 and can't get to the next item.

Thought I'd ask here before I send off a trouble ticket.

What could I be doing wrong?

:o

I just received mine in the mail today, I'll post photos later. I can't wait to see if anyone discovers it ;)

And that right there can get your TB page locked. Virtual logging is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system and is not allowed. People have to see your TB in person to log it. Don't post your tracking number in public.

Edit to add: feel free to post the photos, and I hope you do get discoveries, just understand what I've stated here. Keep your tracking number secret from virtual logging.

I was going to photoshop out the tracking code from the photos :o

I'm just waiting for my vinyls to come in before I take the photos

The idea of having a decal on your car is pretty cool, and the the attention and "preferred "parking at GW-6 made it all the more fun to find, and log.

I picked one up, but am having a problem with activation. I entered the tag number and activation code, and the page just goes back to step # 1 and can't get to the next item.

:lol:

Make sure you have the number/letters correct 8 vs B, l vs 1, etc.

Otherwise send an email to contact@geocaching.com and include the tracking number.

:lol:

Make sure you have the number/letters correct 8 vs B, l vs 1, etc.

Otherwise send an email to contact@geocaching.com and include the tracking number.

Yes, I did and also that the baggie, sticker and decal all matched. I was lucky the numbers and activation code are of the type that can't be mixed up.

I sent off em to geo.com and will wait for their reply.

thanks

I just received mine in the mail today, I'll post photos later. I can't wait to see if anyone discovers it :lol:

I was going to photoshop out the tracking code from the photos :lol:

I'm just waiting for my vinyls to come in before I take the photos

The freeware program, Photoscape has a real quick and easy tool for blurring those codes. Resizer and other tools, and very easy to use.

Wait, So I can make my CAR a travelbug for people to discover!? THAT IS WAY TOO COOL.

Why dont I think if these things!

I took a TB, (TB14XB5) activated it, scanned and changed color of lettering, printed out on 8½ x 11 paper, laminated, and put it in the back window. No bells or whistles, or shipping charges. A cacher see's it and discovers it. Fall off the log easy and a few cents investment. Put the $'s in your pocket

Edited by Headstone Hunter 1

I just got the decals for my car for our summer traveling. I put one on each side, back window since the back is obscured by the camper. I also added the geocashing decal with my user name on the back window as a hint to newbies who might see the decal and wonder what it is. That'll be harder to see with the camper on, but it's not supposed to be easy :unsure: I've already been 'found' once by a cashing friend, but they haven't logged it yet!

When we travel, I'll be wearing the dogtag around my neck, so if people ask when we are stopped I can pull it out and share. I'm excited to find out who'll be the FTF us!

(FWIW, the decals from one stop cashe shop on ebay are great! They went on very easily and look really crisp and clean and have survived a power car wash as well! Just a happy customer!)

It is a great idea indeed – I understand setting up the log page, but can someone explain how to get it reviewed as a cache or can that even be done?

It can't be a cache, no moving caches are allowed. It would be a travel bug.

Thanks! I figured that was the case.

I have something similar like that for my own car. It's a little Arlington County vehicle registration tag from 1949 I put there just for grins. I won't tell you what the registration number is, as I may use it as a travel bug, but it's plainly visible to the right of the word ARLINGTON.

Just one question - how, exactly, would I register / log such a thing as an official travel bug? Could I use the registration number as the tracking number?

Edited by DCNatsFan

I have something similar like that for my own car. It's a little Arlington County vehicle registration tag from 1949 I put there just for grins. I won't tell you what the registration number is, as I may use it as a travel bug, but it's plainly visible to the right of the word ARLINGTON.

Just one question - how, exactly, would I register / log such a thing as an official travel bug? Could I use the registration number as the tracking number?

The travel bug numbers seem to be computer generated, and you cannot predict what number you will get. I don't think you can specifically ask for a certain number.

You would need a Travel Bug number from geocaching.com in order to track it on the geocaching.com website. You wouldn't be able to use a number from somewhere else.

Check this out... This is what I have on my geo-vehicle, talk about geocachers on the road sightings.

<Unapproved link removed by moderator>

Mike aka Altigenman

I was browsing the World Caching store and came across this product:

A car travel bug.

<unapproved link removed by moderator>

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me! :unsure:

Edited by Eartha

Ok, so let me get this straight. If you order a TB for your car (whether magnetic or decal) and it also comes with actual TB tags of the same number, do you actually 'release' the tags too? If it has the same number as your car, wouldn't that get confusing as to which someone 'discovered'? And what is the point of 'discovering' a car TB anyway, do you get extra points or smilies or whatever for the number of TB's you discover? I don't see anywhere that it really matters how many you've found/discovered/passed along. Sorry for so many questions!

No, you don't actually release the "real" tags; it's just that every official, trackable travel bug has them. The only reason to do it is for the fun! I love driving down the road and discovering a travel bug on wheels! It's not for smilies or points; just fun :rolleyes: There is no point!

No, you don't actually release the "real" tags; it's just that every official, trackable travel bug has them. The only reason to do it is for the fun! I love driving down the road and discovering a travel bug on wheels! It's not for smilies or points; just fun :rolleyes: There is no point!

Right. Should you later decide not to have a car TB you can release it as a normal TB with a tag. Releasing a tag and having a car TB with the same number wouldn't be within guidelines.

No, you don't actually release the "real" tags; it's just that every official, trackable travel bug has them. The only reason to do it is for the fun! I love driving down the road and discovering a travel bug on wheels! It's not for smilies or points; just fun <_< There is no point!

Right. Should you later decide not to have a car TB you can release it as a normal TB with a tag. Releasing a tag and having a car TB with the same number wouldn't be within guidelines.

Thanks for the clarification! :P

I have a TB called Mooovin' milk! I use a magnetic sign for the TB number and graphic. The TB can be either a Lancer or else a big ol' milk truck.

I don't know if I can put the link in here or not, but you can find it under my profile.

I've been driving from eastern New Mexico to north of Bakersfield, Ca for several months with it on the truck, and also to Oklahoma and Arkansas. Sad to say, nobody has discovered it on the truck, only on the car while at a major Geocaching event. Keep watching out there!!!

I have a TB sticker on my Jeep, and keep the dog tags hanging from the rear view mirror. I made the mistake of getting a black one and didn't put it in a great place, so it's tough to see. I started out dropping and retrieving the "bug" into and out of caches I hit with it, so that I could see how many miles I was putting on my cache-mobile. That got to be a bit tiresome though :anitongue: Thinking about getting a white one and putting it on a spare tire cover.