Linking Cachemate to Memory Map

Delta68

I've just bought Cachemate and I am trying to get the link in Memory Map to work

When doing a MemoryMap export from GSAK I've specified cmate:%code as the link but when I load the .csv file into MemoryMap this changes to include the path. In this case, when I view the properties of a waypoint it says C:\Geocache stuff\cmate:GCVWD4 for example.

C:\Geocache stuff\ is where the .csv file was when I imported it into MM

Neeedless to say, this link thne won't work on the Mio.

How can I stop it from changing? The .csv file has it correct. <_<

The way I do it (there may be other ways?) is as follows:

From GSAK I select File:Export:Memory Map CSV File

In the box that pops up, in th lower right hand side is a box titled "Link". In here I type \cmate:%code

Then do an export as normal and import into MM, then export to CM.

Now when you do a double tap on an icon on Pocket MM it should open the relevant page in CM.

In the box that pops up, in th lower right hand side is a box titled "Link". In here I type \cmate:%code

Now when you do a double tap on an icon on Pocket MM it should open the relevant page in CM.

Just added the above to my kit for the first time.

What a difference! Instead of faffing about trying to find a listing in cachemate after trying to remember the cache name in mem-map, a simple double tap opens the info straight away.

Thanks, from a technical idiot..... <_<

I stopped using Cachemate as MrsB writes down details of finds. So as an alternative now I export the file for Mem Map with the code \Storage Card\Cache\%code.htm. I then do an HTML export in GSAK and copy the resulting Cache folder (which contains the cache webpages, hints and logs) to my storage card in the Mio. Then when I tap an icon on screen it opens Internet Explorer. The path of \storage card\... is my choice because that is where I copy it to.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

I stopped using Cachemate as MrsB writes down details of finds. So as an alternative now I export the file for Mem Map with the code \Storage Card\Cache\%code.htm. I then do an HTML export in GSAK and copy the resulting Cache folder (which contains the cache webpages, hints and logs) to my storage card in the Mio. Then when I tap an icon on screen it opens Internet Explorer. The path of \storage card\... is my choice because that is where I copy it to.

Chris

Not wanting to sound rude but that means approximately zilch to newby me.... I am more thn happy that i can simply double tap the map and get the words i need to read...

Any chance of explaining the above in techno-simplistic words of a semi sylable to an eejit such as me?

Ah.... when you create the overlay in GSAK to load into Memory Map you need to specify the path where the cache page file is stored. If you use Cachemate to read the pages and record your finds the path you set in GSAK is \cmate:%code. When you click on the icon in MM the Mio opens Cachemate and then finds the cache page by waypoint name (%code) and opens the page.

I don't use Cachemate anymore because I don't use it to record my finds, I only need to see cache pages. So GSAK can export all the cache pages as normal webpages that Internet Explorer on the Mio can open. GSAK exports this HTML to a folder called 'cache'. I then copy this to my Mio storage card. The overlay I create in GSAK for MM has the path as \Storage Card\Cache\%code.htm. So when I click on an icon in MM it looks on the storage card, in the Cache folder, and using the waypoint code (%code) opens the page in Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Lordelph and Edgemaster (and others!) have worked hard to produce the famous 'icons' for MM. I wrote a document explaining how to get them to work with GSAK 7, my Mio (any ppc should be the same) and Memory Map. It was written a while ago but I still use this method. Others may have other ways of doing it but this works for me! The doc is on my website at: GSAK/MM/icons how to!

...as an alternative now I export the file for Mem Map with the code \Storage Card\Cache\%code.htm. I then do an HTML export in GSAK ...

This is what we've done up 'til now but it's just sooooo slow to copy the html files to the Mio. More often than not, the Active Sync connection would fail halfway through missing off half the files :lol:

Just one slight "quirk" if you use more than one CM db. The appropriate db needs to be the last db opened for this to work.

I use smart names, so the link is \cmate:%smart

Just one slight "quirk" if you use more than one CM db. The appropriate db needs to be the last db opened for this to work.

I use smart names, so the link is \cmate:%smart

Absolutely correct, and yes I to have multiple databases. But what I tend to have is one created for the current expedition, which will match the icons uploaded to MM and as it will invariably be the last one opened I very rarely encounter this quirk.

...as an alternative now I export the file for Mem Map with the code \Storage Card\Cache\%code.htm. I then do an HTML export in GSAK ...

This is what we've done up 'til now but it's just sooooo slow to copy the html files to the Mio. More often than not, the Active Sync connection would fail halfway through missing off half the files :)

I use Softick Card Export which is a small utility that can change the connection from Activesync to USB Mass Storage mode (and back again.) I then run a small batch file to delete and copy everything across. 2k cache HTML pages plus Tomtom files plus gpx and cwf files is less than 5 minutes. The SD card is a pain to remove on the HTC Kaiser, so this works a treat. Mios seem supported. There is a Palm version too.

I like Cachemate too so my HTML pages contain a custom URL generated by GSAK so that I can still link to Cachemate. The same MM overlay then works on the PC and PDA.