User input Difficulty and Terrain rating

KnewStar

Let me preempt this post with saying yes, I have done a search and have seen the many requests for a rating system on the site. However, I have not seen a post on this particular suggestion, though it is possible it has been discussed before. I did not go through all 500 posts of my search results. If you feel you must leave snide comments, well then please remember to bring your own diaper and pacifier.

Now then, on to my suggestion. What I have come to realize when geocaching is that the terrain and difficulty rating the owner posted sometimes don't match what I thought of the cache. Granted, this can change depending on the time of year and other factors, but there are some caches that just seem woefully misrepresented. Sometimes, finders even post comments to that effect in their logs.

In the owner's defense, it is hard to rate your own cache when you know darn well where it is. After all, they've never had to search for it! This is where my idea comes in. Have users rate the difficulty and terrain based on their own experience. Sort of like movie or video game reviews where you have the Editor's Rating, then your have Reader's Average ratings.

I'm not suggesting a rating system of "Ooh I really liked this!" but instead a system where users can see that the owner thought this was a moderately difficult cache, but the folks who actually searched for it seem to think it was a rather difficult cache.

Some rules from previous ratings suggestions would work well. Only those who log a Find can provide ratings. How can you rate if you never actually found it in the end, right? Only provide the User's average after 10 or more ratings have submitted.

Comments welcome!

Just make a spot that could be adjusted by cachers rating it.

But the final actual rating would be controlled by the cache placer.

I have adjusted mine by finder logs.

Finders can comment on dif/ter ratings in their logs and the owner can take this under advisement. Sometimes difficulty depends upon experience so there is no one rating that fits everyone. Someone who hasn't found a type before may find it very difficult. Someone who has seen the type before may find it very simple.

Just make a spot that could be adjusted by cachers rating it.

But the final actual rating would be controlled by the cache placer.

I have adjusted mine by finder logs.

Finders can comment on dif/ter ratings in their logs and the owner can take this under advisement. Sometimes difficulty depends upon experience so there is no one rating that fits everyone. Someone who hasn't found a type before may find it very difficult. Someone who has seen the type before may find it very simple.

Yes, your exactly right! This means you 100% agree with the original post. See, if a cache has 99 finds and it has been rated 99 times as a four but the owner rated it as a one, you now know that there is 99% chance that this cache will be level four of difficulty.

Of course it also proves your opinion about everyone being unique and different, but we all knew this anyways.

A finder input system would go a long ways in cleaning up the numerous 1/1 caches out there. It's great idea. Sifting through 99 logs is of course possible but a user opinion field displaying an average would be a lot nicer.

Edited by Morning Dew

Let me preempt this post with saying yes, I have done a search and have seen the many requests for a rating system on the site. However, I have not seen a post on this particular suggestion, though it is possible it has been discussed before. I did not go through all 500 posts of my search results. If you feel you must leave snide comments, well then please remember to bring your own diaper and pacifier.

Now then, on to my suggestion. What I have come to realize when geocaching is that the terrain and difficulty rating the owner posted sometimes don't match what I thought of the cache. Granted, this can change depending on the time of year and other factors, but there are some caches that just seem woefully misrepresented. Sometimes, finders even post comments to that effect in their logs.

In the owner's defense, it is hard to rate your own cache when you know darn well where it is. After all, they've never had to search for it! This is where my idea comes in. Have users rate the difficulty and terrain based on their own experience. Sort of like movie or video game reviews where you have the Editor's Rating, then your have Reader's Average ratings.

I'm not suggesting a rating system of "Ooh I really liked this!" but instead a system where users can see that the owner thought this was a moderately difficult cache, but the folks who actually searched for it seem to think it was a rather difficult cache.

Some rules from previous ratings suggestions would work well. Only those who log a Find can provide ratings. How can you rate if you never actually found it in the end, right? Only provide the User's average after 10 or more ratings have submitted.

Comments welcome!

This would be a great idea and I would like to see something like this.

I did find your intro a little snarky though. <_<

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Great suggestion.

In case it's not clear, he's talking about having two ratings on a page:

Owner Rating: D3/T5

User Rating: D1/T5

The Log page could have radio buttons at the bottom of the log page to optionally rate a cache D/T.