Non-responsive owner

bjoan

I suspect a cache is no longer there and the owner is not responding. How can I find out about this cache? This Will Drive You Nuts GCPT99 :rolleyes:

Contact a reviewer in your area. Ask him or her if they could try to get in contact with the owner. If they can't get a hold of the person they will take care of it.

Welcome to the forums :rolleyes:.

The owner hasn't logged in for over a year, so probably isn't checking their caching email anymore either. You could contact the previous finder for information about the hiding place, or you could just add the cache to your watch list and wait to see if a bunch of dnfs show up after yours. The previous finder indicated there were maintenance issues, too, which isn't surprising since the owner is unresponsive, so another option is to add this one to your ignore list and move on to a better cache. Happy caching!

Edit to add: Like the Big Bear said, if the cache does get a bunch of DNFs you could contact the reviewer and ask that the cache be archived.

Edited by Belfrypotters

Log your DNF if you didn't find it. Post a note on the cache page asking about its status. Email the owner at least a few times over a couple of weeks asking about the status. If you see a long string of DNF logs from various cachers - consider logging a SBA log.

If no response then add it to your ignore list and move on with life.

If you get a response - take action that is appropriate based on the response.

You really do not have to find each and every cache out there.

Log your DNF if you didn't find it. Post a note on the cache page asking about its status. Email the owner at least a few times over a couple of weeks asking about the status. If you see a long string of DNF logs from various cachers - consider logging a SBA log.

B) Oh yes I do!! I have to find every cache and if I can't find it I will crawl up in the fetal postion saying "I can't find the cache, I can't find the cache".

Then the men in the white suit and with the big I Love me jacket will then hall me away. :(:rolleyes::)

Sorry couldn't pass that one up. B)

I agree, but a few emails over a couple weeks seems a bit much, maybe two. And I prefer to email the owner by posting on the cache page. This is so the reviewer can see the history of what's been done so far.

The reviewer is going to give the owner some time to respond, so if they see that a request for status was posted a month ago they'll take that into consideration.

I don't think a reviewer will see any notes posted to a cache unless he or she just happens upon them. The only ways to have the reviewer to be aware of the potential problem would be to post an SBA or email the reviewer directly. This should be a tactic of last resort. I would be trying to contact the owner a "few" times and I would also be contacting previous finders for info or to see if they might be able to check on the hide.

I don't think a reviewer will see any notes posted to a cache unless he or she just happens upon them. The only ways to have the reviewer to be aware of the potential problem would be to post an SBA or email the reviewer directly. This should be a tactic of last resort. I would be trying to contact the owner a "few" times and I would also be contacting previous finders for info or to see if they might be able to check on the hide.

That's correct. I wasn't suggesting the reviewer get involved when you are trying to address the issue with the owner. I meant that once you do get the reviewer involved they can see what effort has been made so far.

If you've been asking for - a response/status/maintenance for three months it would be best if the reviewer was aware of that and had the documentation. Otherwise the process tends to start from the beginning.

That's correct. I wasn't suggesting the reviewer get involved when you are trying to address the issue with the owner. I meant that once you do get the reviewer involved they can see what effort has been made so far.

If you've been asking for - a response/status/maintenance for three months it would be best if the reviewer was aware of that and had the documentation. Otherwise the process tends to start from the beginning.

I agree whole heartedly. I just hope cachers try whatever methods might be available to them to resolve issues with any given cache before going to the reviewers. It is kind of like talking to your neighbor about junk in their yard before contacting the city and raising a ruckus. Solve the problem at the lowest level possible.

I suspect a cache is no longer there and the owner is not responding. How can I find out about this cache? This Will Drive You Nuts GCPT99 <_<

Contact a reviewer in your area. Ask him or her if they could try to get in contact with the owner. If they can't get a hold of the person they will take care of it.

How does on contact a reviewer? Who are the? More on reviewers, please.

I agree whole heartedly. I just hope cachers try whatever methods might be available to them to resolve issues with any given cache before going to the reviewers. It is kind of like talking to your neighbor about junk in their yard before contacting the city and raising a ruckus. Solve the problem at the lowest level possible.

Yep!

Where is the "ignore list"

And how does it work?

There are only two DNF's since the last find. The owner logged in today and has been caching and hiding new caches recently, so they are still active.
I'm surprised nobody else noticed this. It sounds like a tricky one to find and neither DNF convinced me that it wasn't there. What if it's really there? The OP didn't log a DNF so I' not sure why they would start something if they never even tried to look for it. If it were me I'd wait to see what happens with a couple of more finders. Perhaps the owner will even go out and check on it. Give him some time and don't hound the guy over 2 DNFs... Edited by TrailGators
There are only two DNF's since the last find. The owner logged in today and has been caching and hiding new caches recently, so they are still active.
I'm surprised nobody else noticed this. It sounds like a tricky one to find and neither DNF convinced me that it wasn't there. What if it's really there? The OP didn't log a DNF so I' not sure why they would start something if they never even tried to look for it. If it were me I'd wait to see what happens with a couple of more finders. Perhaps the owner will even go out and check on it. Give him some time and don't hound the guy over 2 DNFs...

I think there is some confusion The original poster said the waypoint is GCPT99.

I think this is a misprint and it is supposed GCQT99 This matches the name of the cache and the OP put up a DNF on that cache.

If I am wrong please let me know.

As for the problem I agree with the other posts contact the reviewer and let them handle it.

I'm surprised nobody else noticed this. It sounds like a tricky one to find and neither DNF convinced me that it wasn't there. What if it's really there? The OP didn't log a DNF so I' not sure why they would start something if they never even tried to look for it. If it were me I'd wait to see what happens with a couple of more finders. Perhaps the owner will even go out and check on it. Give him some time and don't hound the guy over 2 DNFs...

I think there is some confusion The original poster said the waypoint is GCPT99.

I think this is a misprint and it is supposed GCQT99 This matches the name of the cache and the OP put up a DNF on that cache.

If I am wrong please let me know.

As for the problem I agree with the other posts contact the reviewer and let them handle it.

In that case, his DNF was the only DNF. I would just move on if I were him.

:D Oh yes I do!! I have to find every cache and if I can't find it I will crawl up in the fetal postion saying "I can't find the cache, I can't find the cache".

Then the men in the white suit and with the big I Love me jacket will then hall me away. :):lol::P

Sorry couldn't pass that one up. :D

:D:)

You sound like me, Big Bear!

I suspect a cache is no longer there and the owner is not responding. How can I find out about this cache? This Will Drive You Nuts GCPT99 :lol:

Begin with a thourough study of the mystic and the occult.

Buy a prayer rug.

Kneel facing toward the Frog Palace...

Actually a log and link to the appropriate Reviewer is the first log ("Published") on every cache listing.

I suspect a cache is no longer there and the owner is not responding. How can I find out about this cache? This Will Drive You Nuts GCPT99 :P

Buy a prayer rug.

Actually a log and link to the appropriate Reviewer is the first log ("Published") on every cache listing.

Now, that is truly helpful. Thank you!!! :lol:

:D I did not mean to be unresponsive. I'm too new at this to even know how to use the forums. I think the cache I was wondering about is still there. I just have not gotten back to it and I like the notion that we can ignore caches and just forget about them. Little hard to do sometime but I can live with it. Sometimes time heals all concerns.

I suspect a cache is no longer there and the owner is not responding. How can I find out about this cache? This Will Drive You Nuts GCPT99 :D

Step 1.

Try to find the cache.

Step 2.

Log a DNF.

Step 3.

Wait, Watch, Try to find it again. In any order.

The owner is active on this site, the cache has been found after a DNF. The two current DNF's may indicate a problem, but they may be people logging DNF's when others didn't bother before, or they changed DNF logs to Found logs. Hard to say.

It's far too soon to call in the big guns on this cache. When it is time, email the onwer first. It's their cache after all.

I suspect a cache is no longer there and the owner is not responding. How can I find out about this cache? This Will Drive You Nuts GCPT99 :D

Buy a prayer rug.

Well, not every cache.

Agreed. There are a few caches in my area that were published in 2001, and the owner last logged a cache almost three years ago and I'm not sure lives in the area any more. However, local cachers that pretty much maintained these caches (it helps that they are good hides) voluntarily. I've added a log book to one of them and have checked on missing TBs/coins that were reported missing. As these caches are the oldest in the area it would be a real shame if someone went straight to a reviewer with an SBA after a couple of DNFs.