Premium membership

NH_matt

I am about to move up to premium membership but wonder if it is worth it for me. I have a Magellan and it seems that if you don't have a Garmin that you don't really matter. Can the pocket querries be used with Magellin? What other advantages would I have by upgrading?

Pocket Queries and "caches along a route" can be used with all brands and forms of GPS units. Those are 2 of the better reason to become a premium member.

However, the best reason of all is simply to support the site and the wonderful folks that keep it up and running for us to use. Pretty cheap to get all that for just $30 a year.

I was writing to post a new topic and saw the OP question in this one so thought here was a good spot for this. It doesn’t matter what GPSr you use for this to work.

I have a road trip of a couple of hundred miles planed for this weekend so I thought I would try my first attempt at a generating a cache along a route query. I was totally impressed! I set up the route, did a pocket query on it, transferred it into GSAK, and uploaded it into my GPSr all on the first try. Like most computer related stuff, the instructions were a little intimidating to me but doing it was really rather simple. It’s going to make road trips a lot more interesting now that I can easily incorporate geocaching into them.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I had planned on getting premium anyway just because of the guilt I feel using the service and not contributing to the bills. I am glad to hear that it works with everything because being a Magellan guy I felt like an outcast among the snooty garmin people. <_< Just kidding. Not really though.

Premium membership is great. But GSAK is terrific! So easy to upload to it. I upload to my Palm to be paperless (as long as batteries hold), upload to Delorme Street Atlas so I have it on the map as I drive and have fun running the Macros for profiles. Not a lot of caches but the profile looks pretty good. Even did it for a caching friend. I do small Pocket Queries in an area where I will be caching since you can do 5 per day.

Not all who wander are lost. Some are geocaching.

I was a member for about a year before I became a premium member (Boo, hiss). Now I wish I'd done it sooner since I feel it's only fair to support a site that gives me a lot of pleasure. I don't know how to use any of the extra features yet but at least I do have access to the "premium members only" geocaches. It's up to you whether you feel it's worth $30 a year but to me it's money well spent. Happy hunting!

Premium membership is GREAT, no matter what brand GPS you own.

Yes, GC seems to "support" garmin a bit more with the "send to GPS" button and the Wherigo player is only available for Garmin GPS units ( yes, Pocket PC as well, but that's not a GPS brand), but don't forget that Garmin decided to support geocaching on their units.