foot in mouth syndrome

tands

S always tells me to err on giving the benefit of the doubt. But when one of our micros went missing, I looked for it, didn't find it, and assumed it was truly gone so I disabled it.

Then some cachers claimed to find it. In the cache logs I said I was 'archiving it to keep numbers cachers from 'finding' it'

Well that wasn't a nice thing to do on my part.

The cachers emailed me saying they found the container hidden on the ground, and they told me exactly where to find it. I checked this morning and it was there. The cachers really had found it!

Ack, how can I be so old and still be such a jerk?

Anyways, thanks and apologies to Stardancer and Puzzle Player for helping me find my own cache.

- T of TandS

I almost archived one of our caches that went missing. I had gone and checked on it and it was not in its spot. Then someone found it. "Oh, really?" I thought. I asked where they found it and, sure enough, it was there--just not where it was supposed to be. It was more than 50' off.

Just goes to show that one shouldn't be so quick to archive a cache and that PAF aren't always accurate. Both owners and previous finders know where they hid or found it. That's not necessarily where it is now.

For what it's worth, the reason we archived it is because a bird family had taken up residence in the hiding spot. The cache container was only moved about 3 feet to a spot that accomadated the birds. We archived it to let the birdies have some peace.

But my initial reaction was still wrong. Chill pills all around for me!!

- T of TandS

I have a habit of not finding my own caches. I've stopped disabling them when this happens, because invariably, if I stay quiet and not breathe a word about it, someone will find the 'missing' cache a day or two later.

Cuts down on the public embarrassment factor... though I still don't know where the blasted thing IS now. But as long as people keep finding it, hey, that's what counts! :(

And there have been times when I've been tempted to log a 'found it' on my own cache, for these reasons. :rolleyes: But I never do.

I have one of my cache's that I have looked for 4 times and can't find - but users keep finding it. So long as they don't report a problem, I guess it is ok.

Cache Migration.

I guess you'll have to ask one of them for a clue! :rolleyes:

This is the kind of things I like seeing in logs .. could be lots of fun for everyone.

S always tells me to err on giving the benefit of the doubt. But when one of our micros went missing, I looked for it, didn't find it, and assumed it was truly gone so I disabled it.

Then some cachers claimed to find it. In the cache logs I said I was 'archiving it to keep numbers cachers from 'finding' it'

Well that wasn't a nice thing to do on my part.

The cachers emailed me saying they found the container hidden on the ground, and they told me exactly where to find it. I checked this morning and it was there. The cachers really had found it!

Ack, how can I be so old and still be such a jerk?

Anyways, thanks and apologies to Stardancer and Puzzle Player for helping me find my own cache.

- T of TandS

Having been in your shoes with my own caches I now make it personal policy to email the last finder and ask them where they found the cache so that when I check I can find my own cache. After having archived a cache and saying it was missing, a finder emailed me and told me where it was. Doh! From that point forward I assume that I can't find my own cache and ask. People don't always respond but sometimes they do.

Once on one of my caches known for dnfs a new dnf was posted followed by an email plea for help. The cacher told me where and how he looked and please check if it was still there. As I was somewhere else in the world I asked a good friend who knew where it was to check. "Gone" she said, but something made me doubt it, maybe it was the muggles who live across the street and guard for their neighborhood entertainment. You know the ones I mean TandS, the ones who laughed at you when you searched for it. I waited a week until I got home and then went to check. There it was, tucked in much further and around a corner from it's an original place. I placed it back where it should be and emailed the cacher to give it another go.

I do know that one sgtsue. Were it not for S, it would be a famous TandS DNF, but instead, is one of our finds that warrants literary notation! What a good hide it is! Y'all look at sgtsue's profile and see if you can figure out which hide...

- T of TandS

T-you should be ashamed of yourself and flogged repeatedly with an overbearing dead horse forum thread for at least 90 seconds. :D

One of mine has such good camo on it that I even logged a DNF once when I tried to perform maintenance on a full log. :D I had to ask the next finder for a nudge. :P

But I didn't accuse him of cheating. :D

Just so I don't ever have to tell a similar tale, and to assist in case I have to ask someone else to check on a hide, I like to take a picture or two of the site.

At least that's my story. My wife says with the advancing years, my memory is fading fast. I wanted to argue that, but couldn't remember her name!