Can I use Mapsource on more than one GPS?

terrim

I found this question in the pinned FAQs in this topic, but there was no link and I couldn't find the right search terms to get an answer. So I apologize in advance if I'm being repetitive.

I have an Etrex Legend HCx and am trying to buy another similar GPSr on ebay for my husband so we can eliminate our "who's holding the GPS" arguments in the middle of the woods. I have a license for City Navigator North America NT 2008 which I bought with my GPSr. It's unlocked to the serial number of my GPS, right? Will I be able to load maps to my husband's new unit -- Can I enter a second serial number?

If not, can I still use Mapsource to load routes to his, even without the maps? We often develop routes for our bike trips. I can see that even if he doesn't have the detail map, if he has the point-to-point routes he'll still get the "it's time to turn" alarm.

Will I be able to upload tracks from the new GPSr?

I'm trying to do this without spending a lot of $$ and I don't want to buy another license for the maps.

You can use the same MapSource to upload/download tracks, waypoints and routes to/from as many GPS as you want. So you and your husband will be able to have all that information the same.

The only limitation is with the maps, as noted by DocDiTTo, with CN NT 2008. They will only transfer to your unit, unless you buy another unlock code. Some other maps don't have an unlock restriction.

So, let's say that you need exchange your GPS for a new unit because of a defect. What do you need to do to load the City Nav NT 2008 maps on the new GPS?

For dsefect sent back to Garmin - you would likely need to contact Customer support for a new unlock code.

If you go out a buy a new uniot to replace an older one - you'll have to purchase the new unlock.

Let's say that I exchange my bad GPS for a new one at REI. Does Garmin have a procedure for generating a new unlock code for the previously-loaded maps so I can load them on the exchanged unit? Given all the problems of the Colorado, I can't be the only one who has run into this problem.