what are magnetic caches?

GB_Computer_Solution

first off, I'm totally new to caching, looked for a few but no luck yet :P

I really have no idea what I'm doing or what to look for LOL

most the caches in my area are micro and most are listed as magnetic.

does that mean I should be taking something metal to sweep with? or that it's attached to something metal?

should I be looking under rocks more for crevices?

anyone gonna be doing some caching in the 60453 (worth, IL) area that could mentor a newbie? LOL

Thanks for the help,

Chad

first off, I'm totally new to caching, looked for a few but no luck yet :P

I really have no idea what I'm doing or what to look for LOL

most the caches in my area are micro and most are listed as magnetic.

does that mean I should be taking something metal to sweep with? or that it's attached to something metal?

should I be looking under rocks more for crevices?

anyone gonna be doing some caching in the 60453 (worth, IL) area that could mentor a newbie? LOL

Thanks for the help,

Chad

Magnetic usually mean the container has a magnet on it. A magnetic keyholder would be a common example for the micro size. So the container will be attached to something metal.

I'm no veteran but I'm assumming the majority of these would be "under" something. A lip on a guard rail, a metal bench, etc.

Reading these forums will help a lot and so will experience but on a micro you have to think a little "outside" the box.

Does the top of that post lift off? Is the tube on that bench large enough to hold a magnetic keyholder inside of it? And so it goes....

thanks so much for the help all, you really don't know how much that helps!! now I think I know where I need to go back and look! :(

the only time I saw a description of a micro in one of the cache locations I have it mentioned a 35mm film canister, so I think I had that in the back of my mind the whole time I was looking for the ones listed as magnetic LOL, time to load up the baby and go searching again! ;)

Edited by justchad

^^^^ What they said.

Someday, all the geocachers in the world will cover enough guard rails, street signs and newspaper boxes with magnetic keyholders to fudge up the polarity of the Earth! People will start walking on their hands, dogs will meow, Wacky Wednesdays will be mundane, Florida will be covered in snow and all the Snow Birds will go back up north and our highways will be FREE AT LAST! Muhahahaha!!!

*cough* Too much coffee. But uh yeah, magnetic caches are fun if they're cleverly hidden. I prefer velcro and super glue.

Keep in mind that magnets can be applied to nearly any container.

I once found an Ammocan that was magnetically attached to a sign. In a clever sort of way.

BTW - for Briansnat - around here anyway - magnetic would about 50% of the time refer to being attached to metal fence posts. Rural nature of the area.

thanks so much for the help all, you really don't know how much that helps!! now I think I know where I need to go back and look! :(

the only time I saw a description of a micro in one of the cache locations I have it mentioned a 35mm film canister, so I think I had that in the back of my mind the whole time I was looking for the ones listed as magnetic LOL, time to load up the baby and go searching again! ;)

Also. not only are they often on the back of guardrails/ signs but sometimes they're painted to look like part of somethign else. The one i found was painted silver and was located just above where the garbage can attached to a light pole in a store parking lot. It was painted and located to look like part of the bolt mechanism holding the can on to the pole.