Your All Time Favorite Find

BJSwart

I am just curious as to what your all time favorite geocache find has been. It could be the most creative, most difficult a milestone or whatever reason. It will be interesting to see all of the different perspectives here. Please post info or the GC number for the cache to share.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT WILL GIVE AWAY THE HIDE!

I would have to say to date mine is: Evil Monkey Visits Winona GC173XT

I am just curious as to what your all time favorite geocache find has been. It could be the most creative, most difficult a milestone or whatever reason. It will be interesting to see all of the different perspectives here. Please post info or the GC number for the cache to share.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT WILL GIVE AWAY THE HIDE!

I would have to say to date mine is: Evil Monkey Visits Winona GC173XT

My all time favorite would have to be Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe GCH2CT

How often does one get the opportunity to find a cache place at one of the natural wonders of the world over 8000 miles from home?

My favorite has to be TNC-2 Snowbirds:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...39-3b849bd8ab04

It is a murderous puzzle I could not solve, so I adopted the "CSI" approach.

All I had to go on was knowledge it was within two miles of the posted coordinates, a parking direction from the cache and this picture:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/97abba...d523708b852.jpg

The two mile radius included portions of four towns and something like 30-40 conservation areas. After examining all the suspects, I picked the one that looked most guilty and drove an hour to check it out. Soon thereafter, I had the cache in hand.

I'm not prone to screaming but I let out a yell when I laid eyes on that baby - by far the most rewarding find I have logged.

Funny thing is that others have solved the puzzle and posted DNFs despite having coordinates in hand, just as I have in other cases while using my GPS and precise numbers. In fact, my success rate searching for caches without coordinates or a unit is actually better than my success rate the "traditional" way.

Go figure?

Favorite virtual: GC6CE7

38ef0837-7e79-4906-8445-f6a903188a7a.jpg

Favorite ARCHIVED traditional: GC29AD An honest to God 5 gallon bucket with a twist.

17ad08ca-6e73-40a7-922d-a38985b91e58.jpg

Favorite Night Cache: GCMRP1

Those skulls are only visible at night with a flashlight. SO COOL.

616bc711-8967-414d-af1e-8c7a343fa3a5.jpg

Favorite Earthcache: GCQJTA

600a95b9-fcd4-4879-a94a-1341e1774221.jpg

Favorite cache dedicated to me & my wife: GC1275C

809332de-31eb-45b1-b6ba-16bb0fe6c00b.jpg

Favorite cache dedicated to my son: GC17D81

43b7f310-64a9-46fc-a4a7-a5189aa88f84.jpg

I have lots more favorite finds.... :)

Edited by Snoogans

My favorite has to be TNC-2 Snowbirds:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...39-3b849bd8ab04

It is a murderous puzzle I could not solve, so I adopted the "CSI" approach.

All I had to go on was knowledge it was within two miles of the posted coordinates, a parking direction from the cache and this picture:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/97abba...d523708b852.jpg

The two mile radius included portions of four towns and something like 30-40 conservation areas. After examining all the suspects, I picked the one that looked most guilty and drove an hour to check it out. Soon thereafter, I had the cache in hand.

I did something similar to this awhile back. It was one of those puzzle cache for which you had to obtain the cache coordinates by reading some headstones at a cemetary. I easily figured on the longitude but has having trouble trying to figure out the latitude. So, after awhile I just went to a spot nearby where the longitude matched in my GPS then started walking in a direction which kept the the longitude stable and looked for potential hiding spots. After a couple of hundred feet I spot a very likely location about 30' in front of me and went in and got the find.

I also did a 5 star puzzle cache awhile back that did not have a coordinate verifier (though the owner was glad to confirm coordinates). Once I solved the puzzle I created a waypoint in GSAK then exported it to Google Maps. Then, because I often find that I can get higher resolution images from maps.live.com I zoomed in on the same location in that site. By changing the orientation of the view I could see an area behind a building which had a fence with some graffiti painted on it. One of the previous finders had posted a photo of his team with the cache and I could see the same fence with the same graffiti pattern on it.

Probably this cache for exactly the reasons Jeep Dog gives. :rolleyes:

That one looks like it rocks, Brother. Nicely done. I'm definitely getting into that type of cache - but the problem is they are fairly far in between.

I noticed the one you linked had a 5 star terrain, but didn't look like it took special equipment - certainly agree with the "specialized knowledge" and/or "skills" (or at the very least having a body in extradordinarily good shape, which is also "specialized"). In my log on the last of this type I've done, rated 4.5, I mentioned without special knowledge of the area, cachers attempting it could be "buzzard bait" and hence probably was reasoning for a 5 rating. Hey, it is his cache, so I'm happy either way....

Anyhoo, just happy to see a kindred spirit in what makes a cache "favorite."

My favorite cache so far has been this one:

VIEW CARRE ' GCE02C

Hadn't got to it on my favorites list yet but that is certainly my all time favorite multi. A truly unique geocaching experience. :lol:

I was there pre-Katrina. I'd like to take my wife back there to see it....

Edited by Snoogans

My favorite cache of all time, so far is definitely GC16BT8, Test Tube Caper. It is the first cache I found that was not "just" a container under a pile of sticks in the woods. Don't get me wrong, I love "just" a container under a pile of sticks in the woods, but this one made you think. There were no puzzles but each stage gave you one of those "OOOOHHH thats what that means" feelings. Then you really had to put two and two together to reach the final.

Mike

I have seen a lot of great caches, but the one that got me hooked on this game remains my sentimental favorite.

GCG8CN Pig Iron Cache is a short walk down a well-maintained trail, an easy-to-find ammo can in a park that I had never heard of less than five miles from where I had lived for 50+ years.

This was maybe my 10th find, so they were all unique and interesting... but this was pretty much, by the standard of the caches I would later find, a run-of-the-mill hide.

However, at the time I was new to the game and discovering a park so close to home that I had never heard of was a real eye-opener!

What hooked me, though, was the site's history.

I have always enjoyed my rather superficial knowledge of history, enjoyed learning about things and places and events from the past, but for whatever reason the past never meant much to me.

I get to this site, however, and history came alive in that place like it never had before.

Here I learned that during The War of Northern Aggression a foundry owner had moved his iron-casting foundry from Mississippi to Alabama to avoid Yankee raiding parties who were destroying our infrastructure to end the war. A fairly common story that can be told with minor variation about hundreds of places throughout the South.

But the thought hit me that I had learned about this place on the internet, gotten in my air-conditioned car and driven here in twenty minutes, following GPS signals beamed from space, and I could leave for my comfortable home at any time. These guys, however, hand-mined coal and iron ore and sulpher and stone and built a foundry capable of making iron, and of making cannon and rifle and implements from that iron, by hand. Then when it was threatened they tore it all down, loaded it on wagons, along with the house and household of fifty families, and moved it one hundred miles through road-less forests and over hills to a place they had never seen, and rebuilt it!

I live in the City of Irondale. Who knew this foundry gave us our name?

My kids went to McElwain School. Who knew the name came from this brave foundry owner?

McElwain Cast Iron Pipe was one of the founding companies that built this area into the Steel Capital of the World and is still one of the area's largest employers... who knew it grew from such humble beginnings?

I certainly didn't.

And the history here, imagining the determination and effort these people put into living their lives, made me appreciate how good I have it today. For the first time I realized how much we have benefited from those who came before us, and how it is my duty to see that those who come after me have it even better than I.

Oh yeah, this cache hooked me on this game, and because of it I still today enjoy and appreciate all the great places geocaching takes me!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Favorite Virtual

972352ca-ec29-43e6-910d-a42a2b02cdab.jpg

My favorite and most memorable experience was my 1000th find.

9ba9c43e-9179-435a-84b9-95099273b726.jpg

Runners up:

After finding this cache, I quadrupled the amount of water I take with me. This was a humbling lesson in Heat exhaustion.

7d6e57b9-8280-46b9-820e-bfa5134cf372.jpg

44d2f75e-c85e-4464-b2f8-159c8147c06b.jpg

This was the greatest hike-to cache, and my 1100th find. 13 + mile hike with 4600 feet of elevation gain.

2c36efb5-8d0a-4391-8064-9fb736e51609.jpg