A civil question

One of our forum members asked a question earlier that was deleted by an American Moderator.

I would like to ask the same question again, I mean no malice by this at all and these are civil questions to which I think myself and the UK community deserve a civil answer.

Why have 2 of our Moderators/Reviewers left? and I mean really why have they left?

It was mentioned that they were being forced to do things they were not happy to do, and also doing things that had not been made public, what does that mean?

I would like to ask that a member of the Groundspeak team come in and talk to us, or make a statement for us to read, or maybe we could all meet up in the American Geochat Room to ask you the questions we would like the answers to.

I would like to reiterate that none of these questions are in malice, but I do think the UK Community deserve some answers to what is going on, I have been a member of these forums for 3 and a half years now and I have never seen so many people in the forums in one go, which proves to me how strongly these people feel about this.

Mandy

It was mentioned that they were being forced to do things they were not happy to do, and also doing things that had not been made public, what does that mean?

And that's the only reason this ugly American is sticking his nose in here....... I'd like to know too. :P

I lurk your forum from time to time, but I almost never post here. I'm frankly curious....

I'm frankly curious....

I've met Snoogans, and he is VERY curious!

Best of luck getting an answer! The UK reviewers/moderators that I have had the pleasure meeting are good chaps!!

Mandy, I think you have done a great job with your initial post and follow up posts in this topic. I see no reason why this topic should be closed. It is posted in the right place and asks a question you can feel free to ask.

I know a lot of folks are hurting. I know it is hard to keep the emotions in check. I don't know if or when you might get an answer from Groundspeak directly. In the post from Lactodorum, "A statement", he gives some of the answers to your questions from reading his first post.

I am sad about this too. Many of you know that I have been a reviewer for a long time. I've had the pleasure of reviewing caches in the United Kingdom before local reviewers were brought on. I've also had the pleasure of working with all of the reviewers for the UK over the years. I know Deceangi will continue to do a great job and look forward to working with the future reviewers as well.

I hope others in this topic will follow your example and post in the same manner as you have.

Edited by mtn-man

Mandy, I think you have done a great job with your initial post and follow up posts in this topic. I see no reason why this topic should be closed. It is posted in the right place and asks a question you can feel free to ask.

I know a lot of folks are hurting. I know it is hard to keep the emotions in check. I don't know if or when you might get an answer from Groundspeak directly. In the post from Lactodorum, "A statement", he gives some of the answers to your questions from reading his first post.

I am sad about this too. Many of you know that I have been a reviewer for a long time. I've had the pleasure of reviewing caches in the United Kingdom before local reviewers were brought on. I've also had the pleasure of working with all of the reviewers for the UK over the years. I know Deceangi will continue to do a great job and look forward to working with the future reviewers as well.

I hope others in this topic will follow your example and post in the same manner as you have.

Thanks very much for that mtn-man :P

You have given me what I hoped to receive a civil reply to a civil thread, I like a laugh and carry on as much as the next person ;) but this is not the time or place for that at the moment, this is the place for a serious discussion and hopefully some real answers to our questions.

Hopefully with the backing of the UK community we can keep this thread on topic and hope for a reply from Groundspeak soon.

Thank you again for letting this thread remain open, I do appreciate it.

Mandy :P

Surely any potential candidate for replacement volunteer reviewer needs to know the hard facts and reasons for the departure of the two reviewers.

A public declaration of reasons and answers would eliminate any reading between the lines and assumptions which are usually wrong assumptions in such cases.

I look forward to these answers to evaluate if anything I have contributed or done within these forums or the geocaching community has affected this dramatic decision by our two volunteer UK reviewers.

:P Until the US of A realize that we do things differently over here as with many country's this will keep on happening, its bully tactics and not always the right way to go. It seems to me from now on its going to be "if you dont like it find somewhere else to go" and this is not a good thing for caching in any country!!!! :P

Dave and Peter have served the caching community extremely well over the yrs and all us Brits really appreciate their time and effort they have put in to caching and having to put up with us lot......

So come on you yanks at least show us some respect and answer our questions as we have supported you with our premium memberships for a long while now??????????? ;)

Surely any potential candidate for replacement volunteer reviewer needs to know the hard facts and reasons for the departure of the two reviewers.

I was surprised to see this post with a style that looked familiar. All became clear further down the thread when it appears that Moss Trooper, one of the original Reviewers/Mods for the UK and a "Grand Old Man of UK Caching" (sorry about the Old :P ) had been banned for speaking his mind. I wondered what heinous crime he'd committed so I did a quick search.

Sigh!!

What is perfectly evident is that by staying cool, calm and collected this thread has been allowed to remain open, by ranting and raving the threads are being closed.

At least we have a thread where we can air our views in a respectable manner, and hopefully Groundspeak will read this and reply in the same way.

Mandy :P

I was surprised to see this post with a style that looked familiar. All became clear further down the thread when it appears that Moss Trooper, one of the original Reviewers/Mods for the UK and a "Grand Old Man of UK Caching" (sorry about the Old :P ) had been banned for speaking his mind. I wondered what heinous crime he'd committed so I did a quick search.

Sigh!!

Ian, Moss Trooper, was the guy who mentored me and supporterd me way back in June 2003 when I first started reviewing.

He was incredibly tolerant of my mistakes - and brother did I make them (still did often :P ) - and what he said was, and is, always relevant.

I am so sorry he has now been treated in this way.

As the man said above:

"SIGH!"

Mandy well said. The way I see it, if they have a valid and mature reason then they would reply; if they are embarrassed by their actions and reactions then they will not. as it stands now I see the latter being the case.Come on Groundspeak answer Mandy's question. after all most here part with $30 every year, so we are customers of your's.Moote

Any paid up premium member, who asks a civil question should be given a civil answer, that's only manners! and manners maketh the man!!............Is an explanation that difficult ?

I would agree but would ammend it slightly.

Any paid up premium member, who asks a civil question should be given a civil answer, that's only manners! and manners maketh the man!!............Is an explanation that difficult ?

Our £15 a per month only pays for so much, we cant expect that because we put our hands in our pockets we should be treated any differently, consider if you went into a shop and asked a question and they refused to answer because you was not yet a paying customer.

It would be good business practice to answer all your customers queries; however it may be slightly unfair to expect them to respond directly to every forum post, also our idea of a timely response and theirs may differ, If they are discussing this before they respond it may be an idea for them to just let us know that they take our concerns seriously and that they plan to respond within X number of days.

Just to let you all know; I have written to Groundspeak requesting a refund on my recently paid subscription which starts on 28th April. I will no longer pay for this service (Or lack of as in the case of Mandy's request for answers) I will keep you all informed as to what happens.

Milton

Thanks for posing the question Mandy. I believe that Deceangi's post here provides a fair and accurate explanation (my quoted double-negative typo notwithstanding).

We really appreciate the efforts of Lactodorum and Eckington on behalf of the geocaching community and also appreciate the fact that they did not skewer Groundspeak in their departing posts. We are continuing to move forward in a manner that we feel best serves the global geocaching community and we completely trust and respect the fact that they are doing the same. While it is truly regrettable that we were not able to collectively move past this issue, we are genuinely looking forward to their future contributions to geocaching and the geocaching community.

We have now put in place an interim solution for cache reviewing assistance until new reviewers/moderators can be identified.

Unfortunately, we do not plan to issue any further comments or explanations regarding this issue.

Just to let you all know; I have written to Groundspeak requesting a refund on my recently paid subscription which starts on 28th April. I will no longer pay for this service (Or lack of as in the case of Mandy's request for answers) I will keep you all informed as to what happens.

Milton

me too.i suggest a lot more do it.see how they like that.hit them were it hurts,we can still continue without there service or lack of it as mentioned above

Milton

me too.i suggest a lot more do it.see how they like that.hit them were it hurts,we can still continue without there service or lack of it as mentioned above

Not taking "sides" here, but the flaw in your logic is that if GC folded due to lack of funds, how would you get your cache details, and where would you log them ?

Why have 2 of our Moderators/Reviewers left? and I mean really why have they left?

In my opinion, these questions aren't Groundspeak's to aswer. They are for L & E to comment on, which they have done in their statements, with great dignity. For Groundspeak to comment on the detail of the background to their departure would involve at best betrayal of confidence, and would at worst drag L & E into a slanging match if Groundspeak were to put a (by definition) one sided view of things.

Groundspeak should certainly answer direct questions on specific points of policy but, in my opinion, it would not be proper for them to reveal the detail of what went on between them and L & E.

Just my ha'pennyworth. Take it or leave it.

Edited by Team Sieni

In my opinion, these questions aren't Groundspeak's to aswer. They are for L & E to comment on, which they have done in their statements, with great dignity. For Groundspeak to comment on the detail of the background to their departure would involve at best betrayal of confidence, and would at worst drag L & E into a slanging match if Groundspeak were to put a (by definition) one sided view of things.

Groundspeak should certainly answer direct questions on specific points of policy but, in my opinion, it would not be proper for them to reveal the detail of what went on between them and L & E.

Just my ha'pennyworth. Take it or leave it.

I'd not really thought about it in those terms but what you say is perfectly true. I agree with you.