Bicycle race!

I'm doing a Bicycle race from San fransico to Oakland, and there is no marked out route. they dont give you the address of the finish until the day of the race either. i have a Garmin 60CS and even when i choose "avoid freeways" it will still direct me on the freeway! what should i do?

Edited by P rat dizzle

I'll be first to ask the two obvious questions.

1.) Do you have City Navigator or City Select loaded?

2.) How exactly would you get from San Fran to Oaktown without going on the Bay Bridge, which is a freeway?

If you do have City Nav or select loaded, I would imagine since you must go over a bridge(unless you go all the way around the bay) that the device may just ignore this setting. Maybe set two waypoints one for the onramp to the bay bridge, and another to the final destination. Then once you cross the bay bridge start routing from there. I'd just jump on BART myself.

I'm doing a Bicycle race from San fransico to Oakland, and there is no marked out route. they dont give you the address of the finish until the day of the race either. i have a Garmin 60CS and even when i choose "avoid freeways" it will still direct me on the freeway! what should i do?

What kind of a race is this? I've done literally hundreds of bike rallies, and they're always signed or marked. Sometimes it's just temporary paint on the road, but there's always something.

I'll be first to ask the two obvious questions.

1.) Do you have City Navigator or City Select loaded?

2.) How exactly would you get from San Fran to Oaktown without going on the Bay Bridge, which is a freeway?

If you do have City Nav or select loaded, I would imagine since you must go over a bridge(unless you go all the way around the bay) that the device may just ignore this setting. Maybe set two waypoints one for the onramp to the bay bridge, and another to the final destination. Then once you cross the bay bridge start routing from there. I'd just jump on BART myself.

good point, I guess i would have to cross the bridge but i would still want to stay off the freeway after i got off the bridge.

I have City Navigator 08 and U.S. topo 08

What kind of a race is this? I've done literally hundreds of bike rallies, and they're always signed or marked. Sometimes it's just temporary paint on the road, but there's always something.

this is an allycat race, in which it is unheard of to have a marked out route

good point, I guess i would have to cross the bridge but i would still want to stay off the freeway after i got off the bridge.

Make sure City Navigator is the active map. I forgot how to do this as I sold my 60csx a few months back. Could be your unit is using the basemap (which only contains freeways) to route you and not city navigator. It might also be that the algorithm can't handle the "no freeways" option when a freeway is the only way to get somewhere. Once you confirm that it's using city navigator and it still doesn't work I would set a waypoint for the bridge enterance then once you get off the bridge start a second route to the final destination. And are you actually going to get on the bay bridge? I thought that was illegal (let alone crazy). What day of the week and what time is this going down?

Make sure City Navigator is the active map. I forgot how to do this as I sold my 60csx a few months back. Could be your unit is using the basemap (which only contains freeways) to route you and not city navigator. It might also be that the algorithm can't handle the "no freeways" option when a freeway is the only way to get somewhere. Once you confirm that it's using city navigator and it still doesn't work I would set a waypoint for the bridge enterance then once you get off the bridge start a second route to the final destination. And are you actually going to get on the bay bridge? I thought that was illegal (let alone crazy). What day of the week and what time is this going down?

I'm not sure if i'm really going yet and i dont know much but if there is info to be had, it's probably here-http://www.myspace.com/lurkymclurksalot

I wold imagine everyone would cross the bridge in a pack taking up a whole lane but since you mention it i'm curous as to how it will actually go down.