is promoting responsible land use an "agenda"?

I want to create a new cache on a privately owned nature preserve (that allows geocaching) with a theme about playing responsibly. Being involved with volunteer clean ups at the preserve and projects to educate climbers who use the area to be good stewards of the land, I wanted to place a cache there with a theme about responsible land use. In the description, I wanted to include a list of leave no trace-type ethics - picking up trash, not trampling an area looking for the cache, leave it as you found it, stay on trails, respect closures due to wildlife nesting areas, minimize impact, courtesy to others, respect private property, etc... I based the list on various brochures I've seen about responsible climbing and geocaching.

A recent thread discussed a cache not being approved because it had "an agenda". Would promoting such land-use ethics be considered "an agenda", or is it an obvious no brainer that shouldn't offend anyone?

A lot will depend on the specific wording of your cache description. First and foremost, since you're hiding a cache box in a nice spot with permission, you know that your cache page will be listed in *some* form if there are no other issues (like too close to another cache). With that as the ultimate goal, you can resolve any wording issues on your cache page through good communication with your friendly volunteer cache reviewer. :drama:

The following was my first draft. Does it sound too preachy or "agenda-like"?

The guidelines I've based them on often are just commandments, not polite recommendations, so it's hard to make them sound non-preachy, and I'm not much of a writer...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Climbers as well as geocachers and other recreational users of this land need to pursue their activities responsibly, to protect the environment and preserve access. The following guidelines are based on publications from the Mohonk Preserve, the Access Fund, Leave No Trace Geocaching and the Gunks Climbers' Coalition.

Please...

• Leave the environment without a trace.
    Encourage others to do the same. A well-hidden geocache should remain well-hidden and not in view. Tread gently, do not trample and destroy in your quest to find the cache. Replace rocks or other natural objects lifted during a search. Leave places looking as if the seekers had never been there.
  • Use existing trails. Find routes that minimize impact. Off-trail use is not permitted in the preserve. If you are climbing, put your gear off to the side. Blocking the trail forces people to go around your belongings and off of the trail, encouraging erosion and trashing the vegetation.
  • Respect the rules and seasonal closures to protect wildlife. Climbs are often closed due to endangered nesting birds. Climbers should be partners in protecting the area wildlife.
  • Park and camp in designated areas only
  • Be considerate of others, share these precious resources.
  • Respect private property, whether it is someone else's possessions or a "do not trespass" sign.
  • Leave the area cleaner than you found it. Garbage, even microtrash like pieces of tape or cigarette butts, ruins the experience for everyone. Pick it up even if it isn't yours, and pack it out.

Being responsible land users encourages land owners to continue to allow us to play on their property, whether it be a private preserve or government land.

The following was my first draft. Does it sound too preachy or "agenda-like"?

The guidelines I've based them on often are just commandments, not polite recommendations, so it's hard to make them sound non-preachy, and I'm not much of a writer...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Climbers as well as geocachers and other recreational users of this land need to pursue their activities responsibly, to protect the environment and preserve access. The following guidelines are based on publications from the Mohonk Preserve, the Access Fund, Leave No Trace Geocaching and the Gunks Climbers' Coalition.

Please...

• Leave the environment without a trace.
    Encourage others to do the same. A well-hidden geocache should remain well-hidden and not in view. Tread gently, do not trample and destroy in your quest to find the cache. Replace rocks or other natural objects lifted during a search. Leave places looking as if the seekers had never been there.
  • Use existing trails. Find routes that minimize impact. Off-trail use is not permitted in the preserve. If you are climbing, put your gear off to the side. Blocking the trail forces people to go around your belongings and off of the trail, encouraging erosion and trashing the vegetation.
  • Respect the rules and seasonal closures to protect wildlife. Climbs are often closed due to endangered nesting birds. Climbers should be partners in protecting the area wildlife.
  • Park and camp in designated areas only
  • Be considerate of others, share these precious resources.
  • Respect private property, whether it is someone else's possessions or a "do not trespass" sign.
  • Leave the area cleaner than you found it. Garbage, even microtrash like pieces of tape or cigarette butts, ruins the experience for everyone. Pick it up even if it isn't yours, and pack it out.

Being responsible land users encourages land owners to continue to allow us to play on their property, whether it be a private preserve or government land.

Just the fact that you are listing the organizations would put it on my "Agenda" radar. Why do you need to include a list of the organizations on your cache page?

I would consider it an agenda if there was anything in your listing supporting The Boulder Project, or The Access Fund...

but just mentioning them I would think should be fine.

Oh how I want to climb Gunks someday... :P

Cool. Then I should be able to include mention of pro-life organizations on my cache listing, as long as I don't mention supporting the organization??? This example is exactly why the debate has been raging lately. Everyone has no problem with mentioning an organization as long as they agree with it... But when its an organization you don't agree with, you scream and yell about how Groundspeak needs to remove it..

Groundspeak CANNOT win, which is why they are requiring explicit permission in these cases. Just because you agree with the organization and its philosophy doesn't mean everyone does!! :P

Yeah. Sounds a bit too preachy to me. How do you hide a cache if you have to say on the trail? How do you do rock-climbing if you have to stay on the trail?

I've heard that the Shawangunks are very pretty, but I've never hiked there (unless the AT goes through the Gunks.)

Incidentally, there was a 3000 acre fire in Minnewaska this week, and some of the trails at Mohonk are closed.

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment but it seems a little too "agenda-y".

Perhaps, just use the ones that are more like just a list of the preserve rules rather than the ones that are more "editorial" in nature. Just a suggestion.

Use existing trails. Off-trail use is not permitted in the preserve.

Respect the rules and seasonal closures to protect wildlife.

Park and camp in designated areas only

Respect private property

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama
I think the key word is "promoting". When you promote something, you by definition have an agenda.

Then don't use the word promote. Seems that Geocaching is all about semantics.....if you promote something, but use the "right" words, it'll be allowed....even if your intent is the same.

Read the thread, other cachers are telling you how to do it.....