Where are they now

Jan and the Percey Boys

About a year ago due to many reasons I stopped buying and trading. I returned the other week and they place seems to be occupied a whole new Crowd - where is Kealia's smart comments, Hula Bum, Glenn K, Lori Darlin' etc. I see AG is ever present and moops along but I looked at an old trade list for my cat coin (still available in 3 metals see JNPB on Geocoincollection!) and it looked like this

2 bugs

2 Happy Hikers

3 doxies

4F

Albatross1901

allinfun

APPLEWOMAN

Atlanta Girl

atwell Family

bad andy

Bailey Nippon 4

Balla & Silly

bazzle

bugs

cache a lot

cache crusaders

Camp explorer

Canoeman

Centris bug

chariley@sbcglobal.net

chrisgun

cog

cruiser dude

danoshimano

dayhunter

dgreno

DLiming

DOUG1212

dressel dragons

Eagles61

fisnjack

fluteface

Flyin V

Fox & the Hound

Fundamental and Venlis

gbots

geocricket

geodiamond

glenn

go jaybee

GrandpaRocks

Grayling

Haughton

herrk

hobo dude

horsegeeks

indydiver

Iowa beaver

Irish-Hunter

jellis

JPNDJ

Karsten-Max Klammer

LADYBUG

Larry739

lightning bugs

Lizzard man

Lori Darling

lost puppies

manituela

Marky

Marlin0

mauison

minz

mohr11

moops along

mtn man

mustangjoni

nscaler

Onehobodude

parents of sam

passing wind

Prairie Partners

prntr

Prowler

psychochicken

rey de roble

rivercity

Rock Crystal

rokop

saffier

sand dollar

seachange

sealrock george

shopper 99

silver marc

slowdownracer

SoMDCacherz

sw4

Team 501

Team OleOmi

TeamAlamo

TeamLegGoes

Toojin & Bart

triplewisdom

Two Happy Hikers)

white bear

zygote

most of these seems to have disappeared - is this finance, fed up or just life moved on

Bob

Still around, just don't bother posting much anymore, don't see a point generally. Hope all is well and that you are back to enjoy caching again!

We're here Bob :drama: I have to agree with HB though. Posting just doesn't carry the same luster as B4 . . .

100% agreed

why?

Then say HI to the here and now. I think life is what happened to the rest. Shop99er, fluteface, rivercity, atwell family, 3 doxies, lori darlin - They all come around.

Still here, just less time to chat lately :D Work took a wild and crazy turn, NEPAG took off like gangbusters, geocoindesigns still need to be done before I can spend time chatting, and of course baby Xander with all the etc., etc. I guess you could say life's been catching up :drama: I do try and stop by to take a look around, just have a lot less time to spend than I used to. :D

We're here Bob :D I have to agree with HB though. Posting just doesn't carry the same luster as B4 . . .

To clarify, I just can't personally get into coins like I used to. So, lots of coin sale threads just pass me by without even opening them. Lots of negativity on some days. Missions don't personally interest me either. I drop gifts in the mail occasionally, without them. It's just my style :drama: To each their own.

TMA

Still around, just don't bother posting much anymore, don't see a point generally. Hope all is well and that you are back to enjoy caching again!

We're here Bob :drama: I have to agree with HB though. Posting just doesn't carry the same luster as B4 . . .

100% agreed

why?

Then say HI to the here and now. I think life is what happened to the rest. Shop99er, fluteface, rivercity, atwell family, 3 doxies, lori darlin - They all come around.

1) Im not yearning for the old days

2) This was interest not a political or undercover question - sometimes when you have been away it is "nice to get up to speed"

3) As to saying Hi to the present I believe that I volunteered to run a souvenir mission - not quite sure how and why but I do try and get involved

Anyway nice to see old friends are still about even if we all have differebt responsibilities maybe even uses for time, money etc

Hiya! And welcome back.

I'm still here, I just don't post as much anymore.

Why? The feel of this forum has changed IMO. It went from being a community of people who like to talk about coins, trade, etc. to a place where there are new coins coming out every other day (most non-caching related IMO), contests for everything under the sun (Guess what I had for dinner and get a free coin), and threads of people just asking for free coins to be sent to them for a variety of reasons.

I subscribe to the forum so I get new topic notifications, but rarely do I see something that:

1) Spawns an actual discussion other than "when do they go on sale?"

2) Isn't a "cointest"

3) Is a coin that I'm interested in

I still like collecting the ones I like, still like trading and meeting folks, but just don't see threads were people engage in discussions and don't feel the same connection anymore.

Since you were gone a LOT of new people have joined these boards, you're correct. Most don't feel the same way that I (and some of the "old timers") do - and that's ok. It's just that we may now be in the minority and don't have as much in common with the new breed of "coiners".

You'll see some of us pop in when's there's something of interest, though.

Hope all is well!

Edited by Kealia

Hiya! And welcome back.

I'm still here, I just don't post as much anymore.

Why? The feel of this forum has changed IMO. It went from being a community of people who like to talk about coins, trade, etc. to a place where there are new coins coming out every other day (most non-caching related IMO),

snipped...

I subscribe to the forum so I get new topic notifications, but rarely do I see something that:

1) Spawns an actual discussion other than "when do they go on sale?"

2) Isn't a "cointest"

3) Is a coin that I'm interested in

I still like collecting the ones I like, still like trading and meeting folks, but just don't see threads were people engage in discussions and don't feel the same connection anymore.

Since you were gone a LOT of new people have joined these boards, you're correct. Most don't feel the same way that I (and some of the "old timers") do - and that's ok. It's just that we may now be in the minority and don't have as much in common with the new breed of "coiners".

You'll see some of us pop in when's there's something of interest, though.

Hope all is well!

to combat some of these issues perhaps you should be more responsible for creating topics you would like to discuss. you can make interesting discussions.

i can't buy every coin that comes down the pike, only ones that "speak" to my aesthetics so i would welcome a chance to discuss all aspects of coin collecting. being a newbie means i am open to all sorts of ideas and discussions.

new people learn from the "masters" so teach! :P

i started a thread about my first trade, how about some of you old-timers talk about your first coins and trades. how did you get into this? what is your favorite coin and why?

lara

danoshimano

I'm here, just not as much. Why? Because I am partly cured. What cured me was the humongous glut of coins that made me decide to truly focus on personal coin issues only. Exceptions to my personal rule are very rare.

Hmm... the 'humongous glut' was what was responsible for getting me some of my first coins, so you wont find me complaining...

I love the coins - personals, commercials, etc. The more made, the more we find in caches. The more made, the more I can trade for and meet new friends. Which... to me is the best thing that Ive gained in the coins. :P

New friends, old friends - no matter. Gotta love coins!

Yep, I'm still here too! Just not buying as many coins as I used to. I still have my forum controls set-up that I receive e-mails for new threads and new posts to certain threads I want to pay attention to. Like this one!!!

I don't post as much as I used to, but I still follow what's going on and jump in when I can. I followed the "geocoin in orbit" story all the way, and may still be the only poster on the coins webpage, I don't know.

Right now I'm watching fore the Pocket Decoders and the Navigation/Planispheres to go on sale. Still hoping "buddyluv4" goes ahead with the "boys hunt for cache, girls just spend it" camo ammo can geocoins. Still a member of 3 of the geocoin clubs. Still trading wooden nickels and poker chips anytime someone asks.

Trying to figure out why I never received a coin I won in a contest several months ago, that has me really dissappointed. Especially when e-mails don't get replies. I kind of feel like one of my geocoins just when missing from a geocache.

Thanks for getting me started. I think I'll stop now.

:P

Well, we're not a part of the "Old Gang", and not a part of the "New Kid on the Block", so I'm not sure where that puts us! lol

We do post on the forums when we see a forum that grabs our attention, or when we see a coin that grabs our attention.

I (Mommy Amigo) personally like to read the "Mystery Coin" forums because I ABSOLUTELY love all the stories. They fill my heart sometimes, and sometimes they make me cry.

I, too, have missed seeing some of the old names on here, but I also understand the reasoning that several of them have given. We both work full-time, still have 2 teenagers at home, and have a brand new FIRST grandbaby! Are we busy? You betcha! Do we love it? You betcha! Would we change it for all the cool forums in the world? Not a chance!!

But that doesn't mean that we aren't lurking a lot more than we post. Somedays, I just don't see anything that catches my attention. Somedays, I'm just looking for a feel-good, and don't want everybody to know that I'm being greedy by reading their feel-good stories!

I love seeing the new coins that are posted on the forums. I don't buy everything that comes out. I can't afford to. I don't trade coins very often, because I usually only buy ONE of what I really like (can't afford to buy two, usually). But I do like reading about the trades.

I've had my "hand" slapped for posting somethings on some forums that others didn't agree with, and have asked for coins for an Event, so I guess I have not been the perfect "Forumer"!! lol But I've enjoyed every minute of it, and I've enjoyed meeting oldies, as well as newbies on here!

That ALL said, WE LOVE THE FORUMS AND ALL WHO COME IN HERE! WELCOME ALL!!

(Now, back to lurking!! :P )

Never been much of a forum posting type so that hasn't changed. I mean look at the number of forum posts I have made; I just made it to 500 and I have been caching for five years...

Definitely still around and still addicted. Still treasurer for the ICE coin group and I think we are the only coin group still around (do correct me if I am wrong!!)

The budget took a major hit this year so I am being very very picky about the coins I purchase or preferably trade for. I am in fact having to sell some of the collection. (And by the way health is just fine, it's the tax-man that has me raising money...)

I am a lucky person; I just had lunch with Dorkfish and LoriDarlin a few hours ago. Life is good!

to combat some of these issues perhaps you should be more responsible for creating topics you would like to discuss. you can make interesting discussions.

That's an interesting point and well-meant I'm sure. I don't like seeing people complaing without doing anything about it either. To that point, I can't count the number of threads that I've started both recently and over the years. Most fall off the page quickly because they are not cointests asking for a new post/entry every 15 minutes. :P

Yes, those that want change are responsible for doing something to enable that change. I've tried and I've grown somewhat tired of it.

In psychology it's called "learned helplessness".

Here it's called burnout. :P

That's an interesting point and well-meant I'm sure. I don't like seeing people complaing without doing anything about it either. To that point, I can't count the number of threads that I've started both recently and over the years. Most fall off the page quickly because they are not cointests asking for a new post/entry every 15 minutes. :P

Yes, those that want change are responsible for doing something to enable that change. I've tried and I've grown somewhat tired of it.

In psychology it's called "learned helplessness".

Here it's called burnout. :P

ah yes, that we understand, and why i am sitting at home playing on the computer instead of going into the office for awhile.

psychology is a wonderful thing.

i get that burned out feeling about the fourth cache that i clean up and out and replace with good stuff and then whine all the way home that there wasn't anything for me. ;)

glad to have met you anyway. i am in full tilt boogie mode trying to keep people talking because i find it all so bloody fascinating!

i'll start checking out the pages after page 1!

lara

I think alot of the time people do not post what they are thinking in a whole do to the fact they are afrraid to be "OT" or that the conversation that is not about geocoins will told by a MOD that they are moving it to the Off-topic forum. I for one would really like it if people really did have a nice little conversation and be able to get to know one-another.

Instead of the half sentence replies. Which I will admitt I am guilty of just as I think everyone is. And I have partaken in cointest that I've probably abused my posting privelege. I have seen alot of people here help out greatly with different guestions people have and some of the "Old Timers" that seem to ignore any noob that posts. Having posted your "rank" in the hierarchy of the forums already says to some one that they are the "untouchables" of the forums. Some people are Intimidated by that. To me, well we all breathe the same air, and in the end we all end up as fertilizer.

And there are those who are "Old timers" as you say, that from what I've seen, I am glad not to here from them. And there are the ones that give all they can to help others out. I am guilty of being a negative "poster" in the forums but with some advice by people here in the forums, even in this topic, I have learned not to let things so silly bother me. Especially when it does not really concern me. I am really just rambling on here. I guess what I am really trying to say is" I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!" Thank-you and good night! LOL

Edited by dardevle

Hmm... the 'humongous glut' was what was responsible for getting me some of my first coins, so you wont find me complaining...

You won't find me complaining, either (just in case anyone thought I was). I am actually quite happy to be semi-cured. I acquired almost 1,000 coins in, like... how long has it been? Three years, or so. Now I am more focused and selective.

A while back I posted a thread asking some silly questions in a way to get to know each other - I am fairly new here - and I too can get a little bored with some of the same topics coming up again and again. Little did I know that I was breaking a rule about doing a "survey" without getting permission. Thankfully I did get permission and the thread was allowed to continue but ever since then I've had the impression that this place was indeed about sales and cointests and missions and not much about anything else.

After reading this now I'm starting to wonder if something changed behind the scenes causing a loss of the personal discussions and friendships that are common when people get together to gab about something they all enjoy? Maybe it isn't WE who've changed but maybe it's TPTB? I honestly don't know but maybe someone else does and can enlighten me.

The recent topics on ethics and even the relatively heated exchange about paper geocoins have been very interesting for me to read. I hope that trend is allowed to continue. Or maybe these discussions are happening on the off-topic part of the board that I can't see until I become a premium member (very soon!)?

I also very much agree with RSG. I have a lot more to learn and I hope the "oldies?" "long-timers?" "wise-ones?" will continue to contribute here and inspire me to continue to add to this sport/game in new and exciting ways I've not yet even considered. :P

After reading this now I'm starting to wonder if something changed behind the scenes causing a loss of the personal discussions and friendships

I think it's safe to say that for us dinosaurs, we still have most if not all of our old friendships, and still have discussions quite often, it's just been taken off the forum.

Hopefully the newbies can find some friendships in here to cultivate. My suggestion to that would be the trade thread, cuz that's kinda the last old school thing around and it certainly brings you to a more personal and individual level with someone.

I know from my semi-newbie perspective (only collecting coins for a little over a year now), my time in both the forums and various coin chats has had ups and downs over time, with the general trend being downwards due to time spent with family or other interests.

From the list of forum members you name, I've traded with about 20 of them in the last year, so while they may not frequent the forums like some prolific posters, they certainly still have a pulse and a binder of available coins! :P

About a year ago due to many reasons I stopped buying and trading. I returned the other week and they place seems to be occupied a whole new Crowd - where is Kealia's smart comments, Hula Bum, Glenn K, Lori Darlin' etc. I see AG is ever present and moops along but I looked at an old trade list for my cat coin (still available in 3 metals see JNPB on Geocoincollection!) and it looked like this

2 bugs

2 Happy Hikers

3 doxies

atwell Family

danoshimano

dressel dragons

fluteface

gbots

Lori Darling

mauison

moops along

mtn man

Prairie Partners

rey de roble

Rock Crystal

sand dollar

seachange

Team OleOmi

Toojin & Bart

Two Happy Hikers)

white bear

most of these seems to have disappeared - is this finance, fed up or just life moved on

Bob

Along with the above, I talk/pm/email with Kealia and Hula Bum with some degree of regularity. As K & HB said, this forum has changed a lot in the last year or so. Along with the cointests (yes, we are running one right now), the ever-happening sales, and the various levels of bickering that go on now, I usually just glance through and then go caching.

How have you been, Bob?

I'm still here... and I actually post now and then..... Been having a rough year. Two of my kitties have cancer, both are in chemo. One is probably going to have to be put down this morning. It's hard to read the forums through all of these tears.... :(

But I still trade, still buy (tried quitting, but fell off the wagon), and was out caching in Portland, OR just yesterday.... Had to come home early when the ER vet called to tell me to get my butt home asap.

Hopefully the newbies can find some friendships in here to cultivate. My suggestion to that would be the trade thread, cuz that's kinda the last old school thing around and it certainly brings you to a more personal and individual level with someone.

Trying to break into the forum cliques is tough. I didn't realize that there were so many groups and subgroups. I love the coins and have found the most satisfaction from trading in person.

Happy Birthday Bob!!! :P:):):P

I'm still kickin!!! Glad to hear you are too!!! Want to trade again?? lol

I am not as active in the forums because its a much busier place than it used to be and its hard to read all the threads and all the posts and still get done what I need to do...so I just sort of pick and choose what I want to read and then sign out.

I'm still just as active in trading behind the scenes as I used to be...that much hasn't changed lol I've kept the friends from the olden days and added new friends with the newer days so life is good!! You need to come to GW6 so we can meet in person!!! whoot!!

ps - Toojin&Bart we were lucky to have had lunch with you too!! Especially on your birthday!!! oops I told the secret...shame on me :P

I'm still here... and I actually post now and then..... Been having a rough year. Two of my kitties have cancer, both are in chemo. One is probably going to have to be put down this morning. It's hard to read the forums through all of these tears.... :lol:

But I still trade, still buy (tried quitting, but fell off the wagon), and was out caching in Portland, OR just yesterday.... Had to come home early when the ER vet called to tell me to get my butt home asap.

Aw! (((HUG))) I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things get better.