Where we go from here

Ok by now you've most probably heard the gut wrenching news that both Eckington and Lactodorum have resigned as Site Volunteers :D.

First off let me voice my thanks for the fantastic support they have both given me over the last 2 years, the immediate future looks hollow without the multiple back and forth communications between the 3 of us. I understand and fully support the reasons why they feel they are unable to continue as Site Volunteers, especial as they have discussed things fully with me, over the last few days.

Now for whats going to happen for the short term immediate future, for the UK Community. I will be covering all caches submitted :drama: but do ask for patience, as there is no way I can produce the quick turn around your used to.

Once things have settled down I will be consulting with both Dave and Peter over suitable candidates to fill their shoes [not a easy task] there will then be the following process

We will between us agree on suitable candidates, I will then submit their names to Groundspeak for their approval. Once given Approval by Groundspeak, they will be presented to the Reviewer Community for their input as the potential candidates will have to fit in with and work with the the Reviewer Community.

Once the candidate has passed this stage, they will be approached in confidence and asked to become a Site Volunteer. At no time up to this point will anyone know that they are being considered . Only once they have accepted the Invitation, will the news be announced to the UK Community.

As you can see the selection process is not a quick one, so I must ask the whole of the UK Community to bear with me for the immediate short term future, and especially for everyone to self Moderate their posts to this forum.

Deceangi Volunteer UK Reviewer/Moderator Geocaching.com

Likewise can I add my heartfelt thanks to ALL the UK Moderators for their help, support and unstinting efforts over the years.

Eckington and Lactodorum you are going to be sadly missed. I hope you have the opportunity to "enjoy" your retirement and maybe stay in contact with your many friends in the GC community who hold you in such high regard.

Decci - you're going to be busy and we will all have to accept that there are going to be inevitable delays in OKing caches and answering our queries in the next few months. We will have patience

Andy

Hear Hear

Likewise can I add my heartfelt thanks to ALL the UK Moderators for their help, support and unstinting efforts over the years.

Eckington and Lactodorum you are going to be sadly missed. I hope you have the opportunity to "enjoy" your retirement and maybe stay in contact with your many friends in the GC community who hold you in such high regard.

Andy

I have just spoken to Dave (Dece) and he is absolutley stowed off with caches :D so please let us all be a little bit more patient than we normally are :drama: he told me the UK puts out about 300 caches per week B) and as you now all know he is the only Reviewer for the whole of the UK for the present time.

He also told me Nette (his wife) has told him he has a 12 midnight curfew to be in bed or he wont be capable of reviewing any caches tomorrow :blink::blink:

Good Luck Dave (and you tell him Nette :D )

Mandy :huh:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Since I joined the reviewing team back in September all three UK reviewers have been a great help and a fantastic support for me. It's been a massive help to have the 3 of them at the end of an email, ready to listen to even the most mundane of queries. I was lucky to meet them all in person shortly (very shortly!) after joining when Jeremy came to London and I was looking forward to seeing them all again at the UK's 1st Mega Event in August. Somehow that won't be the same now and the absence of these 2 massively influential cachers to the UK scene appears to be having a significant effect. I and many others will miss them considerably :drama:

omgoodness what a shock and two sterling reviewers too :drama:

thank you guys for all your support especially for all the prompt toos and fros eckington (Being the south coast reviewer)

Pray some light can be shed oin two resignations in one day prior to any new reviewers accepting an invitation to take over the reviewing roles?

thank you all once again

minxyy, princessannie, lectroboy and bugboy

I have just given my thank yous to your ex-partners in crime, so all I can say to you is good luck Dave.

Geocaching is a very different game from when we previously only had one reviewer for the UK and I think we only have a slight inkling of how much work you put into the job. I hope everyone will be patient and that you will be able to cope. Good luck! :drama:

Very sorry that this has happened..

I'm not grinding Axe's in public yet..

Just to say a big thank you to the departing mods from Littleyokel MrsY and Myself.

Hope to still meet you in early August when I will buy you Beer.

Live long and Prosper!!

Deceangi Good luck.. you have my number.

A VERY bad day for Geocaching..

Somebody should be ashamed.

Must be quite serious for them not to continue with their fantastic work, till suitable replacements have been found. I mean, they could come back and help DC out till replacements are found?

Just a thought, because this is going to put alot of strain on DC. The process of finding replacements is not a quick one, and it shouldn't be.

Do you think it's a good idea to ask ex-reviewers back to help DC out in the short term?

To make life easy on DC, I am not gonna hide any caches till this thing is sorted out. I am not asking you lot to join me, I just think it's uncool that he is now doing the work of three people. Not saying he's gonna make a mistake or anythign, but I'd hate to see the size of his inbox. Lets give hime a break too!

Take it EASY! Happy Caching!

I was very sorry to hear of Dave and Peter's departure. I found out the hard way via a phone call from Seattle asking if I could please assist Deceangi for a short while.

So please don't freak out if you see my geonick in a review note or publish note on a UK cache. I'll assist Dave/Deceangi as needed, but second his desire to have additional UK based reviewers as quickly as possible.

Hey, at least I drive a British car and make a living working for a British company. :P

Cheers,

~erik~

I was very sorry to hear of Dave and Peter's departure. I found out the hard way via a phone call from Seattle asking if I could please assist Deceangi for a short while.

So please don't freak out if you see my geonick in a review note or publish note on a UK cache. I'll assist Dave/Deceangi as needed, but second his desire to have additional UK based reviewers as quickly as possible.

Hey, at least I drive a British car and make a living working for a British company. :P

Cheers,

~erik~

Welcome Erik

What a pity it has to be in such circumstances.

I've lived in Nevada for a few months now and I still can't understand why I meet such nice people but the 'organizations' are so inflexible and bureaucratic, which is ultimately why the guys have left, because 'rules are rules' without freedom to interpret, which is a British trait.

They are going to be extremely difficult to replace.

:P

Guess you won't be coming over the Malverns for a while then...........

Our best wishes and thanks, L&H

Oh I don't know! Malvern contains some of my nearest unfound caches so it's definitely "on the radar" for a caching expedition in the not too distant future.

Do you think it's a good idea to ask ex-reviewers back to help DC out in the short term?

A nice idea but one of the reasons I decided to retire was because I was being told to apply the guidelines in a way which I felt inappropriate for the situation in the UK. That situation still exists and if I helped I would be facing the same problem. I would immediately face the same dilemma again and that would be bad for me and for Groundspeak. All it would do is to paper over the cracks in the short term. In any case Deci can still contact Dave and I for a chat if he wants to discuss anything.

That's great news Erik, I've always had a lot of respect for you and the way that you do things. We may not totally see eye to eye on everything but I know you will handle the UK scene with sensitivity. UK cachers owe you a great big "Thank You" for helping Deci.

Blimey - I go away for five minutes and look what happens!

I'm very sad to hear the news, but can understand that sometimes positions become difficult when rules change.

Good luck Dece until some extra help can be found - I'm sure everyone will be patient and understanding over a difficult period.

I'm sure we'll all do what we can to make things as easy as possible for you and help out if we are able.

Good luck Dave, I think you are going to need it.

Cheers,

~erik~

Welcome erik, I have already seen one of your published notes on a nearby cache.

................. Now for whats going to happen for the short term immediate future, for the UK Community. I will be covering all caches submitted :( but do ask for patience, as there is no way I can produce the quick turn around your used to.

Once things have settled down I will be consulting with both Dave and Peter over suitable candidates to fill their shoes [not a easy task] there will then be the following process

We will between us agree on suitable candidates, I will then submit their names to Groundspeak for their approval. Once given Approval by Groundspeak, they will be presented to the Reviewer Community for their input as the potential candidates will have to fit in with and work with the the Reviewer Community.

Once the candidate has passed this stage, they will be approached in confidence and asked to become a Site Volunteer. At no time up to this point will anyone know that they are being considered . Only once they have accepted the Invitation, will the news be announced to the UK Community.

As you can see the selection process is not a quick one, so I must ask the whole of the UK Community to bear with me for the immediate short term future, and especially for everyone to self Moderate their posts to this forum.

Deceangi Volunteer UK Reviewer/Moderator Geocaching.com

Do ypu and the ptb not think that mature individuals who frequent this sport (some of us carry major responsibility in day to Day life) might want a say in the selection of those who moderate our sport. I am not suggesting silly suggestions who would not toe the line but those WE respect

Just a thought