passing TB's between cachers

Firespinner

This has probably been asked before, but I need a quick answer and can't find one in recent topics. (and I'm posting in the geocoin board too.)

I am going somewhere soon where lots of people will be gathering from all over the US. A subgroup of us who like geocaching will be getting together to chat and meet. I would like to trade any traveling TB's from my area for others from people who are far away. That way, we get people's TB's to move far and can likely help many on their way to a goal.

Here's the dilema.....

The place we are going is a private get-together on private land. The coordinates of this place are not to be posted at all. I know the milage will be off because of this, but what would be proper protocol on how to log this trade? For example....I live in Ohio. Say this gathering is happening in Tennessee. Someone from California comes and we trade TB's. Then she takes the ones I gave her back home to Cali and releases them there, while I take hers back to Ohio for release. Is there a way to just mark that she passed them off to me without logging coordinates? These will not be put in a cache during our trade...it will just pass hands. I don't want to log these as coordinates, because there is NO cache in the location we are meeting.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Firespinner, you can grab travelbugs from other cachers by using the "grab" option on each TB's webpage. There is no way to "log the coordinates" of the private get-together if there is no cache located there to log the TB into. When you find a cache later that you want to drop the TB into, just drop it online as you normally would. The TB will then get credit for the mileage from the cache it was retrieved from before the event to the new cache you place it in.

If the persone from CA has the bug in thier inventory, you just grab from them on the bug page. To get the mileage, just log it into the next local cache you find.

Thanks! I didn't know how much the 'milage' accuracy was important since in my example, that would show mileage from CA to OH without counting the mileage from TN. Thanks for the info. :-)

You can always plan to visit a cache with these people so that a drop and grab can be done for both parties. As long as it's somewhat close to the area that you are in it shouldn't be a problem. Or are you unable to go to a cache while they are in area?

yeah...we would be unable to go to a cache anywhere in the area. Many people have explained the 'grab' method of logging, and we'll probably just do that even though it won't make the mileage extremely accurate.

Firespinner, you can grab travelbugs from other cachers by using the "grab" option on each TB's webpage. There is no way to "log the coordinates" of the private get-together if there is no cache located there to log the TB into. When you find a cache later that you want to drop the TB into, just drop it online as you normally would. The TB will then get credit for the mileage from the cache it was retrieved from before the event to the new cache you place it in.

Thanks! :-) I can always count on these forums to give quick answers from many people! :-)

Thanks again.

The problem with swapping coins ("grab from current holder") is that the mileage will appear as though it happened back where you last picked up the coin/bug.

So as others have already said.... when you go caching with your compadres be sure you drop the coin/tb in a cache and they pick it up from the cache (in that order) so the mileage will register.

The problem with swapping coins ("grab from current holder") is that the mileage will appear as though it happened back where you last picked up the coin/bug.

So as others have already said.... when you go caching with your compadres be sure you drop the coin/tb in a cache and they pick it up from the cache (in that order) so the mileage will register.

I'm not sure what you mean "back where you last picked up the coin/bug".

Once the traveler is logged into a cache the mileage will be between that cache and the last one.

Sometimes there's no cache close enough to show where the hand-off happened. That's just the way it goes.

I'm not sure what you mean "back where you last picked up the coin/bug".

Once the traveler is logged into a cache the mileage will be between that cache and the last one.

Sometimes there's no cache close enough to show where the hand-off happened. That's just the way it goes.

I think that's what he meant. From my original example, it will look like the bug traveled from OH straight to CA without traversing through TN...but we aren't geocaching when we meet up...we're just meeting up and helping bugs travel cross country...we won't actually be caching in TN.

I think that's what he meant. From my original example, it will look like the bug traveled from OH straight to CA without traversing through TN...but we aren't geocaching when we meet up...we're just meeting up and helping bugs travel cross country...we won't actually be caching in TN.

Which is perfectly fine. You might miss one leg in the journey but ultimately the best thing for the bug is a good trip.

Take pictures, tell stories, have fun.